Which Cable Cat5e or Cat6???

Old May 11th 07, 09:28 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom
No Spam

Default Which Cable Cat5e or Cat6???

On Mon, 7 May 2007 15:33:10 +0100, G a z . wrote:

I am thinking of renewing all the phone cables in our house, which are
wired in from our side of the BT Master Socket, I also intend to purchase
an XTE-2000 Master Faceplate together with a 68mm filtered socket both from
ADSL nation.

[snip]

I also intend to do this in the next week or so.

The only wiring I need to keep is to my 2 Sky+ boxes [unless someone
can tell me about a suitalbe wireless connection for Sky+ boxes].

I want to find a source of black Cat cable as I need to run them on an
outside wall from windows to the front door and grey coloured cable
looks a bit unsightly.

Can anyone suggest a source of black coloured cat cable please?

Location NE London
Old May 11th 07, 07:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom
Lurch

On Fri, 11 May 2007 09:28:02 +0100, No Spam mused:

On Mon, 7 May 2007 15:33:10 +0100, G a z . wrote:

I am thinking of renewing all the phone cables in our house, which are
wired in from our side of the BT Master Socket, I also intend to purchase
an XTE-2000 Master Faceplate together with a 68mm filtered socket both from
ADSL nation.

[snip]

I also intend to do this in the next week or so.

The only wiring I need to keep is to my 2 Sky+ boxes [unless someone
can tell me about a suitalbe wireless connection for Sky+ boxes].

I want to find a source of black Cat cable as I need to run them on an
outside wall from windows to the front door and grey coloured cable
looks a bit unsightly.

Why do you want to wire your 2 phone connections to Sky boxes in Cat
cable?

Can anyone suggest a source of black coloured cat cable please?

Tried Google?
--
Regards,
Stuart.
Old May 12th 07, 11:05 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom
No Spam

On Fri, 11 May 2007 19:49:32 +0100, Lurch
wrote:

[snip]
I want to find a source of black Cat cable as I need to run them on an
outside wall from windows to the front door and grey coloured cable
looks a bit unsightly.

Why do you want to wire your 2 phone connections to Sky boxes in Cat
cable?

[snip]

The OP poster indicated that he was about to replace his internal
phone wiring with Cat cable.I want to do the same & the only phone
wires I will need are to the 2 Sky+ boxes.

I had Sky Broadband for a few days recently. The speed I was getting
with it was 10 mb, less that I currently get with NTL Broadband.
When the Sky router was connected to the master socket I was getting
16 mb. So I conclude that the problem is the old wiring that I have
around the house.
I am now going to renew that [to the Sky+ boxes], take out the rest of
the wiring that is no longer required as I also have several wireless
DECT phones in the house and change the master socket as the OP
indicated that he intended to do.
Old May 12th 07, 11:32 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom
Lurch

On Sat, 12 May 2007 11:05:09 +0100, No Spam mused:

On Fri, 11 May 2007 19:49:32 +0100, Lurch
wrote:

[snip]
[...]

All you need to do is leave the router at the master socket and wire a
cat5e cable from the router to the PC's. Or, fit a master faceplate
filter and run a single cable from there to the router.

Either way, good telephone cabling is adequate, cat5e is OTT.
--
Regards,
Stuart.