Extending the range of a broadband network

Old May 11th 07, 10:48 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bryan

Default Extending the range of a broadband network

I am wanting to find out what is the best wireless modem router and network
card for extending the range to share a BB connection with a neighbour. The
neighbour's house house is about 100 yards away. Has anyone got any advice
or had any eperience of extending the range of a network?

Old May 11th 07, 11:01 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

"Bryan" wrote in message
I am wanting to find out what is the best wireless modem router and network
card for extending the range to share a BB connection with a neighbour. The
neighbour's house house is about 100 yards away. Has anyone got any advice
or had any eperience of extending the range of a network?

Get an external high gain aerial for the neighbour's PC.

Old May 11th 07, 11:22 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
R. Mark Clayton

"[email protected]" wrote in message

"Bryan" wrote in message
I am wanting to find out what is the best wireless modem router and
network card for extending the range to share a BB connection with a
neighbour. The neighbour's house house is about 100 yards away. Has anyone
got any advice or had any eperience of extending the range of a network?

Get an external high gain aerial for the neighbour's PC.

And your own! A couple of Yagi's (a bit like TV aerials, but a lot smaller)
would probably suffice. Given the small scale DIY would probably do.

Old May 11th 07, 11:29 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tony

"Bryan" wrote in message
I am wanting to find out what is the best wireless modem router and

network
card for extending the range to share a BB connection with a neighbour.

The
neighbour's house house is about 100 yards away. Has anyone got any advice
or had any eperience of extending the range of a network?

I would firstly recommend a DG834G MKII (not v3) for this task. Im not sure
the v3 has a socket to connect an external antenna.....

It would be useful to know more than just the distance (100 yards) about
what kind of installtion might be required.

Is there anything between the properties likely to block signals. What type
of walls are we looking to get through? At what location in the two houses
will the equipment be installed? (Taking into account extra internal walls
to get through etc.)

Also intended siting of the wireless equipment needs to be considered.
Telephone socket, and wiring to any computers at the BB connection side need
to be thought about before looking at sharing.

For good reliable connections at the remote side, it may well be a good idea
to install an external antenna (this will also need careful consideraton as
the length of the coaxial cable between the Netgear and the antenna needs to
be kept to a minimum due to high losses at 2400MHz.

Tell me more and I`ll try and assist further.

Just for your information, I have installed several such network links over
the past few years with great succcess.

It might also be worth mentioning that ISPs dont normally allow a home BB
connection to be shared under their terms and conditions, but they are not
able to detect it going on...... After all you could have three computers
in your own property all using the one connection.

Please also be aware that whatever your neighbour does online will be your
responsibility and any dodgy online activity would come back to you.

I have set up several such shared networks that actually log all activity on
the LAN and everything can be checkedin activity logs, but that would
require a computer staying switched on 24/7 to do this properly (OK if you
are already running a server).

Regards

Old May 11th 07, 11:39 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

"Bryan" wrote in message
I am wanting to find out what is the best wireless modem router and
network card for extending the range to share a BB connection with a
neighbour. The neighbour's house house is about 100 yards away. Has
anyone got any advice or had any eperience of extending the range of a
network?

Get an external high gain aerial for the neighbour's PC.

And your own! A couple of Yagi's (a bit like TV aerials, but a lot
smaller) would probably suffice. Given the small scale DIY would probably
do.

You probably don't need one at each end.. its only 100m.
If it were a couple of km then a pair would be needed.

Old May 11th 07, 11:44 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tony

"[email protected]" wrote in message

You probably don't need one at each end.. its only 100m.
If it were a couple of km then a pair would be needed.

Highly likely you would only need an external antenna at the BB connection
side. The remote side is likely to get good signals using just a USB Wifi
adapter with extended cable (allowing the USB wifi adapter to be placed in
the best signal location).

Old May 11th 07, 11:45 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jim Howes

R. Mark Clayton wrote:

And your own! A couple of Yagi's (a bit like TV aerials, but a lot smaller)
would probably suffice. Given the small scale DIY would probably do.

There are also plenty of D.I.Y. antenna designs around too, if you don't want to
splash out on antennae. However be warned that radio and antenna theory is a
book only fully understood by people with beards. The rest of us just point it
in the right direction, apply phenomenal amounts of power, and hope for the best...

Google for 'cantenna'

As nobody else has pointed it out yet, I'll also add that sharing your domestic
broadband connection with another household is probably a violation of your
ISP's terms and conditions of service - Not that most ISP's will notice, (But do
you trust your neighbour not to become a spam-spewing zombie, or not to start
sending material that is objectionable to UK law enforcement or the USA's
department of homeland paranoia?)

The information above comes with NO WARRANTY of any kind. Be warned that a 14dB
antenna with 0.25W input power could, in come circumstances cause blindness due
to microwave heating.

Old May 11th 07, 04:24 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Crosland

Bryan wrote:
I am wanting to find out what is the best wireless modem router and
network card for extending the range to share a BB connection with a
neighbour. The neighbour's house house is about 100 yards away. Has
anyone got any advice or had any eperience of extending the range of
a network?

You need to think long and hard about the wisdom of doing this. You will be
legally responsible for any traffic on the network from your neighbour or
anyone else who can crack you security. Your ISP almost certainly forbids
you do this anyway. Don't do it would be my advice.

Peter Crosland

Old May 11th 07, 06:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dennis Ferguson

On 2007-05-11, Bryan wrote:
I am wanting to find out what is the best wireless modem router and network
card for extending the range to share a BB connection with a neighbour. The
neighbour's house house is about 100 yards away. Has anyone got any advice
or had any eperience of extending the range of a network?

I wouldn't use a network card at the client, I'd use an ethernet
converter instead. I've had good luck with the Buffalo stuff here

http://www.buffalotech.com/products/...o-performance/

with an access point at one end and the converter at the other (I think
they are the same hardware with different software). They seem to run
at higher power than normal access points, you'll benefit from this if
you install them at both ends.

If you have a direct line of sight and not too many neighbours, just
putting the devices in windows that can see each other might do it.
If not you may have to mount them outside and up high to get as close
to line of sight as you can, at which point, if you are going to all
this trouble, you might want to go all the way and install directional
antennas too.

I've used these for a 2 km link in Mexico that was not quite line of sight
(there was a hotel tower about 350m from one end blocking the view) with
high gain antennas and it worked adequately. 100m should be no problem.

Dennis Ferguson