Recommend an ISP for unlimited downloads

Old May 12th 07, 09:08 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andrew Bellamy

Default Recommend an ISP for unlimited downloads

I am currently with Zen but they have recently limited downloads. Can anyone
recommend an ISP that still has unlimited downloads, not too concerned about
speed. I am currently on a 1Mbs connection and i think the maximum i can get
is 2Mbs.

Andy.

Old May 12th 07, 10:04 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Flyer

"Andrew Bellamy" wrote in message
I am currently with Zen but they have recently limited downloads. Can
anyone
recommend an ISP that still has unlimited downloads, not too concerned
about
speed. I am currently on a 1Mbs connection and i think the maximum i can
get
is 2Mbs.

Andy.

I think you're ****ing in the wind. Virtually every ISP, including cable,
now has a Fair Usage Policy in place, even though they advertise themselves
as "unlimited". The simple fatc is, bandwidth costs money, and the more they
use, the more BT (and other bandwidth sellers) charge them.

Good luck with your search

p.

Old May 12th 07, 10:23 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gordon Hudson

"Flyer" wrote in message

I think you're ****ing in the wind. Virtually every ISP, including cable,
now has a Fair Usage Policy in place, even though they advertise
themselves as "unlimited". The simple fatc is, bandwidth costs money, and
the more they use, the more BT (and other bandwidth sellers) charge them.

Thats not entirely true.
ISP's do not pay per GB for transfer they pay for size of pipe or Mbit.
I know that we under utilise the bandwidth we have access to so its possible
to let a few customers use more without it costing us anything.
The issue is not going too close to the available limit on average so that
there is enough headroom to prevent an unexpected bill.

In fact connectivity ISP's have stacks of spare capacity in the upstream
direction because most of their traffic is coming the other way.

Old May 12th 07, 10:30 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andrew Bellamy

"Gordon Hudson" wrote in message

"Flyer" wrote in message

I think you're ****ing in the wind. Virtually every ISP, including cable,
now has a Fair Usage Policy in place, even though they advertise
themselves as "unlimited". The simple fatc is, bandwidth costs money, and
the more they use, the more BT (and other bandwidth sellers) charge them.

Thats not entirely true.
ISP's do not pay per GB for transfer they pay for size of pipe or Mbit.
I know that we under utilise the bandwidth we have access to so its
possible to let a few customers use more without it costing us anything.
The issue is not going too close to the available limit on average so that
there is enough headroom to prevent an unexpected bill.

In fact connectivity ISP's have stacks of spare capacity in the upstream
direction because most of their traffic is coming the other way.

What about Bt Total broadband option 3 which is unlimited and there is
nothing in the
fair use article about a limit just a reduction in speed at peak times.

Andy.

Old May 12th 07, 11:04 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andrew Bellamy

"Flyer" wrote in message

[...]

Also how about Tesco 2mb "unlimited" what restrictions are on this?.

Old May 12th 07, 11:45 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andreas Schulze-Bäing

Am Sat, 12 May 2007 09:08:32 +0100 schrieb Andrew Bellamy:

I am currently with Zen but they have recently limited downloads. Can anyone
recommend an ISP that still has unlimited downloads, not too concerned about
speed. I am currently on a 1Mbs connection and i think the maximum i can get
is 2Mbs.

I switched to a small ISP called EFH broadband some months ago.
They offer an umlimited 512K service for 17.99 a month:
http://www.efhbroadband.com/broadband.asp
So far so good - the only problem was that the connection was cut off for a
while when they became part of 186k. Since then the service runs fine.
Andreas
Old May 12th 07, 12:00 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gordon Hudson

"Andrew Bellamy" wrote in message

What about Bt Total broadband option 3 which is unlimited and there is
nothing in the
fair use article about a limit just a reduction in speed at peak times.

I don't know but it may be they restrict the amount you can download by
throttling the connection or by using strict contention of some sort.
This sometimes happens in Web hosting where you get a dedicated server with
unlimited downloads but on a port that can only pass a small amount of data.
Therefore its not really unlimited as there is only so much it can transfer.
You would need to check with the ISP.

Old May 12th 07, 12:37 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jay L. T. Cornwall

Gordon Hudson wrote:

I think you're ****ing in the wind. Virtually every ISP, including cable,
now has a Fair Usage Policy in place, even though they advertise
themselves as "unlimited". The simple fatc is, bandwidth costs money, and
the more they use, the more BT (and other bandwidth sellers) charge them.

Thats not entirely true.
ISP's do not pay per GB for transfer they pay for size of pipe or Mbit.

While it's true that the ISP rents BT's network at fixed size pipes,
transit is normally paid at a per-data rate (95th percentile is most
common, which will rise with increased usage).

Higher usage translates directly into higher costs for the ISP unless
you're mowing purely over peering.

--
Jay L. T. Cornwall, http://www.esuna.co.uk/~jay/
PhD Student
Old May 12th 07, 01:36 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Grumps

"Andrew Bellamy" wrote in message
I am currently with Zen but they have recently limited downloads. Can
anyone
recommend an ISP that still has unlimited downloads, not too concerned
about
speed. I am currently on a 1Mbs connection and i think the maximum i can
get
is 2Mbs.

Just out of curiosity, what have Zen changed?

Old May 12th 07, 09:36 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Old Codger

Grumps wrote:
"Andrew Bellamy" wrote in message
I am currently with Zen but they have recently limited downloads. Can
anyone
recommend an ISP that still has unlimited downloads, not too concerned
about
speed. I am currently on a 1Mbs connection and i think the maximum i can
get
is 2Mbs.

Just out of curiosity, what have Zen changed?

Earlier this year they imposed (generous) limits on the original 1 and 2
M accounts. Gave three months notice though with a further reminder one
month before.

--
Old Codger
e-mail use reply to field