Upload faster than download. Opinions please.

Old May 12th 07, 06:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Steve Olive

Default Upload faster than download. Opinions please.

Hi group.

My friends out in the sticks use Waitrose Broadband (Don't ask).
It appears to be rebranded Madasafish, but that's not too relevant.

Anyway, as they live a long way from the exchange a line checker
suggests that they might struggle to achieve 256Kb/s

This is true, they manage about 150Kb/s and are happy enough. It's only
for emails an a little bit of web browsing. They need broadband so as
not to tie up the telephone as they run a business.

Anyway, although the download speed is expectedly poor, upload peaks at
about 400Kb/s which surprised me. Is there a technical reason why this
might be so?

I'm wondering because if it works fast in one direction, should it be
able to work at around that speed in the other?

If so, I might put some more effort into seeing if their download speed
can be improved. if not, c'est la vie.

Thanks.
Old May 12th 07, 06:05 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Eeyore

Steve Olive wrote:

Anyway, although the download speed is expectedly poor, upload peaks at
about 400Kb/s which surprised me. Is there a technical reason why this
might be so?

This is with a Max DSL connection presumably. They might do better with fixed
rate.

Graham

Old May 12th 07, 06:59 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PhilT

On May 12, 6:02 pm, Steve Olive wrote:

Anyway, although the download speed is expectedly poor, upload peaks at
about 400Kb/s which surprised me. Is there a technical reason why this
might be so?

the upstream uses lower frequencies which are attenuated less per
unit distance, hence it can get higher speed in some cases.

The useful data is the modem line rate to the exchange, preferably in
non-abbreviated units as I have no idea what "150Kb/s" means.

Phil

Old May 12th 07, 06:59 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PhilT

On May 12, 6:05 pm, Eeyore
wrote:
Steve Olive wrote:
Anyway, although the download speed is expectedly poor, upload peaks at
about 400Kb/s which surprised me. Is there a technical reason why this
might be so?

This is with a Max DSL connection presumably. They might do better with fixed
rate.

they may also find a fixed rate refuses to connect.

Phil

Old May 12th 07, 10:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Steve Olive

PhilT wrote:
On May 12, 6:02 pm, Steve Olive wrote:

Anyway, although the download speed is expectedly poor, upload peaks at
about 400Kb/s which surprised me. Is there a technical reason why this
might be so?

the upstream uses lower frequencies which are attenuated less per
unit distance, hence it can get higher speed in some cases.

The useful data is the modem line rate to the exchange, preferably in
non-abbreviated units as I have no idea what "150Kb/s" means.

Phil

I thought it meant Kilobits per second. Maybe I'm wrong.