BT Main Socket

Old May 12th 07, 07:59 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Geoff Lane

Default BT Main Socket

My daughter has had erratic adsl access for the last 9 months.

ISP can find nothing obviously wrong, neither can BT at this stage; both
are still looking in to it at this stage.

She is about 4k from the exchange.

There is only one socket in the main room with no extensions wired from
it, I have tried the ADSL modem into the test socket behind the socket
faceplate, sometimes I get a connection and then I can lose it again.

The phone is used via a doubler from the main socket and appears to work
fine.

The wiring at the back of the main socket seems secure, could the socket
itself be faulty and give me a dodgy adsl even though the phone is
working fine.

Geoff Lane
Old May 12th 07, 08:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Eeyore

Geoff Lane wrote:

My daughter has had erratic adsl access for the last 9 months.

ISP can find nothing obviously wrong, neither can BT at this stage; both
are still looking in to it at this stage.

She is about 4k from the exchange.

There is only one socket in the main room with no extensions wired from
it, I have tried the ADSL modem into the test socket behind the socket
faceplate, sometimes I get a connection and then I can lose it again.

So what are the connection statistics ?

Graham

Old May 12th 07, 08:32 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Lurch

On Sat, 12 May 2007 19:59:13 +0100, Geoff Lane
mused:

My daughter has had erratic adsl access for the last 9 months.

ISP can find nothing obviously wrong, neither can BT at this stage; both
are still looking in to it at this stage.

She is about 4k from the exchange.

There is only one socket in the main room with no extensions wired from
it, I have tried the ADSL modem into the test socket behind the socket
faceplate, sometimes I get a connection and then I can lose it again.

The phone is used via a doubler from the main socket and appears to work
fine.

I assume the filter is fitted in the correct place? The above sentence
sounds a bit, wrong.
--
Regards,
Stuart.
Old May 12th 07, 10:24 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Geoff Lane

Lurch wrote:

The phone is used via a doubler from the main socket and appears to work
fine.

I assume the filter is fitted in the correct place? The above sentence
sounds a bit, wrong.

Filter from test socket and doubler phone plug from that.

Geoff Lane

Old May 12th 07, 10:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Geoff Lane

Eeyore wrote:

So what are the connection statistics ?

When I got a connection yhe following was shown on the Linksys WAG54G;

DSL Path Mode FAST
Downstream Rate 1536 Kbps
Upstream Rate 448 Kbps
Downstream Margin 7db
Upstream Margin 21db
Downstream Line Attenuation 58
Upstream Line Attenuation 31

Geoff Lane
Old May 12th 07, 11:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kráftéé

Geoff Lane wrote:
Eeyore wrote:

So what are the connection statistics ?

When I got a connection yhe following was shown on the Linksys
WAG54G;
DSL Path Mode FAST
Downstream Rate 1536 Kbps
Upstream Rate 448 Kbps
Downstream Margin 7db
Upstream Margin 21db
Downstream Line Attenuation 58
Upstream Line Attenuation 31

Geoff Lane

That looks workable although the SNR is a little low (wonder what time
of the day you got the readings)...

Old May 12th 07, 11:51 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Geoff Lane

Kraftee wrote:

Downstream Margin 7db
Upstream Margin 21db
Downstream Line Attenuation 58
Upstream Line Attenuation 31

That looks workable although the SNR is a little low (wonder what time
of the day you got the readings)...

Around 4pm Saturday 12 May.

Geoff Lane
Old May 13th 07, 01:14 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Eeyore

Kraftee wrote:

Geoff Lane wrote:
Eeyore wrote:

So what are the connection statistics ?

When I got a connection yhe following was shown on the Linksys
WAG54G;
DSL Path Mode FAST
Downstream Rate 1536 Kbps
Upstream Rate 448 Kbps
Downstream Margin 7db
Upstream Margin 21db
Downstream Line Attenuation 58
Upstream Line Attenuation 31

Geoff Lane

That looks workable although the SNR is a little low (wonder what time
of the day you got the readings)...

Those numbers aren't a million miles different from mine before the RF2 filter
was removed.

Graham

Old May 13th 07, 09:46 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Roger Mills

Geoff Lane wrote:

Lurch wrote:

The phone is used via a doubler from the main socket and appears to
work fine.

I assume the filter is fitted in the correct place? The above
sentence sounds a bit, wrong.

Filter from test socket and doubler phone plug from that.

Geoff Lane

Does it make any difference (for the better!) if you unplug the phones? If
so, the filter could be duff.
--
Cheers,
Roger

Old May 13th 07, 10:36 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Lurch

On Sun, 13 May 2007 09:46:12 +0100, "Roger Mills"
mused:

Geoff Lane wrote:

Lurch wrote:

The phone is used via a doubler from the main socket and appears to
work fine.

I assume the filter is fitted in the correct place? The above
sentence sounds a bit, wrong.

Filter from test socket and doubler phone plug from that.

Geoff Lane

Does it make any difference (for the better!) if you unplug the phones? If
so, the filter could be duff.

If you're only using a router on the line you don't need a filter. Try
with just the router plugged into the line, nothing else. If the
matter improves, plug things in 1 by 1 (filter, then adapter, then
phone etc...).
--
Regards,
Stuart.