two routers?

Old May 13th 07, 10:15 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Fox

Default two routers?

No matter what I do, I can't get my laptop to recognise my wireless
settings. It isn't a distance issue, I've checked and double checked that
the encryption is the same, its not a LAN card fault as it recognises other
networks and now I'm giving up!
What I thought was, could I get a cheaply wireless router (or even a cable
router) just to use in the rooms that I use the laptop and still keep my
main router and my main pcs connected or will one wipe out the other?

Old May 13th 07, 10:23 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Fat Freddy's Cat

"Fox" wrote in message
No matter what I do, I can't get my laptop to recognise my wireless
settings. It isn't a distance issue, I've checked and double checked that
the encryption is the same, its not a LAN card fault as it recognises
other networks and now I'm giving up!
What I thought was, could I get a cheaply wireless router (or even a cable
router) just to use in the rooms that I use the laptop and still keep my
main router and my main pcs connected or will one wipe out the other?

You cannot connect 2 modem/routers to 1 (ADSL) phone line - they will
conflict and the 2nd one added simply will not work...

g.

Old May 13th 07, 11:04 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Roger Mills

Fox wrote:

No matter what I do, I can't get my laptop to recognise my wireless
settings. It isn't a distance issue, I've checked and double checked
that the encryption is the same, its not a LAN card fault as it
recognises other networks and now I'm giving up!
What I thought was, could I get a cheaply wireless router (or even a
cable router) just to use in the rooms that I use the laptop and
still keep my main router and my main pcs connected or will one wipe
out the other?

I'm not totally clear what you want to do. What you *can't* do is have more
than one ADSL modem (or router/modem) connected to the *same* phone line -
that just won't work.

If you want to provide a cluster of wired extensions to a different part of
the house, you can take a single ethernet cable from your existing router to
a network switch or hub somewhere else. You can even use a second router (if
you already have one) as a network switch - in which case you need to
connect the first router to one of the *ethernet* ports on the second one,
and ignore its WAN port.

I'm doing just that at present (for reasons which I won't go into) with one
router/modem connected to ADSL, feeding another which is acting as a switch.

If you do that you will, of course, have to ensure that the 2 routers each
have a unique LAN IP address in the same subnet and that not more than one
of them is acting as a DHCP server. [I prefer to dispense with DHCP
altogether and use fixed IP addresses throughout my network]. Yopu will also
need to make sure that the default gateway in each PC is pointing to thye IP
address of the whichever router is directly connected to the ADSL line.

Apologies if I've misunderstood your question!
--
Cheers,
Roger

Old May 13th 07, 11:08 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Roger Mills

Fat Freddy's Cat wrote:

"Fox" wrote in message
No matter what I do, I can't get my laptop to recognise my wireless
settings. It isn't a distance issue, I've checked and double checked
that the encryption is the same, its not a LAN card fault as it
recognises other networks and now I'm giving up!
What I thought was, could I get a cheaply wireless router (or even a
cable router) just to use in the rooms that I use the laptop and
still keep my main router and my main pcs connected or will one wipe
out the other?

You cannot connect 2 modem/routers to 1 (ADSL) phone line - they will
conflict and the 2nd one added simply will not work...

g.

Correction: *Neither* will work! [But see my more detailed reply].
--
Cheers,
Roger

Old May 13th 07, 11:20 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Fat Freddy's Cat

"Roger Mills" wrote in message
Fat Freddy's Cat wrote:

"Fox" wrote in message
No matter what I do, I can't get my laptop to recognise my wireless
settings. It isn't a distance issue, I've checked and double checked
that the encryption is the same, its not a LAN card fault as it
recognises other networks and now I'm giving up!
What I thought was, could I get a cheaply wireless router (or even a
cable router) just to use in the rooms that I use the laptop and
still keep my main router and my main pcs connected or will one wipe
out the other?

You cannot connect 2 modem/routers to 1 (ADSL) phone line - they will
conflict and the 2nd one added simply will not work...

g.

Correction: *Neither* will work! [But see my more detailed reply].
--

no correction required -
"they will conflict"

I have seen (only last week) an original modem/router working despite
another one being plugged in to another phone point in the same house (I got
a call asking why the 2nd one wouldn't sync, took a bit of time before
punter told me that "the main one is still working fine" and I realised the
problem)...

I agree that they should not work, but having seen it in practice, I chose
to use "they will conflict" as a - possibly - better answer.

g.

Old May 13th 07, 11:40 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Lurch

On Sun, 13 May 2007 09:15:01 +0100, "Fox"
mused:

No matter what I do, I can't get my laptop to recognise my wireless
settings. It isn't a distance issue, I've checked and double checked that
the encryption is the same, its not a LAN card fault as it recognises other
networks and now I'm giving up!

Why doesn't it connect, does it actually say it's connected, have you
tried it sitting in front of the router, does it get an ip address
from the router, does it work with security temporarily disabled?

What I thought was, could I get a cheaply wireless router (or even a cable
router) just to use in the rooms that I use the laptop and still keep my
main router and my main pcs connected or will one wipe out the other?

And what would you connect it to? A wireless access point is what you
want, wired into the existing router via ethernet.
--
Regards,
Stuart.