VOIP recomendation for UK

Old May 13th 07, 12:32 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Rich

Default VOIP recomendation for UK

Hi

Just purchased a "LINKSYS SIP VOIP PHONE ADAPTER PAP2-NA STAY
UNLOCKED" from ebay. Wanted it to replace my current skype setup that
keeps crashing upon shutdown (nasty chinese drivers and no fix).

Can anyone recommend a provider to use in the UK. I'm not a heavy
user maybe 30 minutes a week of calls.

Only call UK 01 02 phone numbers.

Looking at sipgate at the moment - are they any good or are there
better choices?

Thanks.

Rich
Old May 13th 07, 02:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Jono

on 13/05/2007, Rich supposed :
Hi

Just purchased a "LINKSYS SIP VOIP PHONE ADAPTER PAP2-NA STAY
UNLOCKED" from ebay. Wanted it to replace my current skype setup that
keeps crashing upon shutdown (nasty chinese drivers and no fix).

Can anyone recommend a provider to use in the UK. I'm not a heavy
user maybe 30 minutes a week of calls.

Only call UK 01 02 phone numbers.

Looking at sipgate at the moment - are they any good or are there
better choices?

Thanks.

Rich

voip.co.uk might also be worth a look - 1.99 per month - inclusive w/e
& e calls to landlines plus daytime calls to 01/02 @ 2p per call.

Old May 13th 07, 02:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
News Reader

"Rich" wrote in message
Hi

Just purchased a "LINKSYS SIP VOIP PHONE ADAPTER PAP2-NA STAY
UNLOCKED" from ebay. Wanted it to replace my current skype setup that
keeps crashing upon shutdown (nasty chinese drivers and no fix).

Can anyone recommend a provider to use in the UK. I'm not a heavy
user maybe 30 minutes a week of calls.

Only call UK 01 02 phone numbers.

Looking at sipgate at the moment - are they any good or are there
better choices?

Thanks.

Rich

Hi,

www.vyke.co.uk seem pretty good - ~2 p/call I understand to most all of
Western Europe (including the UK) and US / Canada, etc. with no subscription
charge.

Best wishes,

News Reader

P.s. Alternatively, their are "unlimited" providers but these tend to be
more variable and "qualified".

Old May 13th 07, 04:58 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ivor Jones

"Rich" wrote in message

Hi

Just purchased a "LINKSYS SIP VOIP PHONE ADAPTER PAP2-NA
STAY UNLOCKED" from ebay. Wanted it to replace my
current skype setup that keeps crashing upon shutdown
(nasty chinese drivers and no fix).

Can anyone recommend a provider to use in the UK. I'm
not a heavy user maybe 30 minutes a week of calls.

Only call UK 01 02 phone numbers.

Looking at sipgate at the moment - are they any good or
are there better choices?

They're fine, they've had some bad press but since they upgraded their
registration servers last year I've not had a single outage on 4 accounts.

PAYG so call costs easy to control. Give them a try, free to set up, easy
to cancel if you decide on something else.

Ivor

Old May 13th 07, 09:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Brian A

On Sun, 13 May 2007 16:58:07 +0100, "Ivor Jones"
wrote:

"Rich" wrote in message

Hi

Just purchased a "LINKSYS SIP VOIP PHONE ADAPTER PAP2-NA
STAY UNLOCKED" from ebay. Wanted it to replace my
current skype setup that keeps crashing upon shutdown
(nasty chinese drivers and no fix).

Can anyone recommend a provider to use in the UK. I'm
not a heavy user maybe 30 minutes a week of calls.

Only call UK 01 02 phone numbers.

Looking at sipgate at the moment - are they any good or
are there better choices?

They're fine, they've had some bad press but since they upgraded their
registration servers last year I've not had a single outage on 4 accounts.

PAYG so call costs easy to control. Give them a try, free to set up, easy
to cancel if you decide on something else.

Ivor

No comment has been made about an incoming geographic number.
If you go for the voip.co.uk package (20/year or 1.99/month), as
Jono suggested, you'll get a number with it. This gets my thumbs up
too!

Also, Sipgate give you a geo number.
Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.
Old May 13th 07, 11:34 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
News Reader

"News Reader" wrote in message

"Rich" wrote in message
[...]

Just in case it wasn't clear. Vyke provided unlimited duration (not just 1
hour or some x p/min rate after a certain time) for 2 p and not just for UK
destinations (but all of Western Europe + the US and Canada) ... AND no
subscription charge.

I am not biased nor a customer - just sounds very very good where voip.co.uk
only seem good. You can always use Vyke for outgoing and SIPgate for
incoming if an incoming number is necessary.

Best wishes,

News Reader

Old May 13th 07, 11:34 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
News Reader

wrote in message
On Sun, 13 May 2007 20:23:59 GMT, Brian A
wrote:

If you go for the voip.co.uk package (20/year or 1.99/month), as
Jono suggested, you'll get a number with it. This gets my thumbs up
too!

Voip.co.uk provide nothing short of an excellent service and with a UK
pack 19.98 pr year hourly calls cost 2p in the daytime and free after
6pm and all weekend .

Old May 14th 07, 10:52 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Brian A

Just in case it wasn't clear. Vyke provided unlimited duration (not just 1
hour or some x p/min rate after a certain time) for 2 p and not just for UK
destinations (but all of Western Europe + the US and Canada) ... AND no
subscription charge.

I am not biased nor a customer - just sounds very very good where voip.co.uk
only seem good. You can always use Vyke for outgoing and SIPgate for
incoming if an incoming number is necessary.

I am a customer. I used Vyke for a while for my UK calls. However,
calls sometimes drop out, the quality is poor or the audio works
just one way. I still use Vyke, it is good value for money, and have
tried their SMS sevice, which I have found to be good. However, for UK
calls, if you want good audio quality, value and reliability I'd
choose voip.co.uk.
The only downside is the poor voicemail. It is well over a year ago
when they said they would improve it. I don't use it now but I would
guess that nothing has been done - it amazes me because you'd think
they would want to put a shine on their service. I use Voxalot with
voip.co.uk and other operators. It works very well.

Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.
Old May 14th 07, 10:53 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Brian A

On Sun, 13 May 2007 22:52:15 GMT, wrote:

On Sun, 13 May 2007 23:34:47 +0100, "News Reader"
wrote:

www.vyke.co.uk seem pretty good - ~2 p/call I understand to most all of
Western Europe (including the UK) and US / Canada, etc. with no
subscription
charge.

Just in case it wasn't clear. Vyke provided unlimited duration (not just 1
hour or some x p/min rate after a certain time) for 2 p and not just for UK
destinations (but all of Western Europe + the US and Canada) ... AND no
subscription charge.

From what I have seen they only provide a service via desktop
application I haven't seen any info regards using an ATA with their
service .

No, their service works with an ATA just the same as any other SIP
operator.
Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.
Old May 14th 07, 09:07 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
News Reader

"Brian A" wrote in message

[...]

Thank you very very much. Their is nothing better than first hand reports.

It would be great to have some further comparative reports to confirm this
is not localised or anomalous to your situation (provider, equipment,
configuration, or any other).

I really appreciate your input - that is undoubtedly amongst the, if not
the, most informative experiential report on Vyke and from a UK user to -
many thanks again.

Best wishes,

News Reader