Contention relation to speed of connection.

Old May 13th 07, 06:59 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
James Egan

Default Contention relation to speed of connection.

If I have a adsl connection speed limited by line quality to around
512k download and am contended with (say) 19 others all of whom can
achieve 8Mb download, does that mean my share of the overall worst
case scenario cake is 1/16 th of 1/20th of the total? Or is contention
based on a percentage of the total throughput so it would be less of
an issue for those of us already running slow?

Jim.

Old May 13th 07, 07:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Loz

James Egan wrote:
If I have a adsl connection speed limited by line quality to around
512k download and am contended with (say) 19 others all of whom can
achieve 8Mb download, does that mean my share of the overall worst
case scenario cake is 1/16 th of 1/20th of the total? Or is contention
based on a percentage of the total throughput so it would be less of
an issue for those of us already running slow?

The latter.
Essentially it's the pipes between the ISP and the BT ADSL network which
will most likely get congested and therefore slow down.

An 8Mbit user and a 512K user would get the same speed, assuming the
contention is so bad that it brings it down below 512K. More likely a
512K user would not see the contention at all whereas an 8Mbit would.
Old May 14th 07, 08:07 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
James Egan

On Sun, 13 May 2007 19:10:59 +0100, Loz wrote:

The latter.
Essentially it's the pipes between the ISP and the BT ADSL network which
will most likely get congested and therefore slow down.

An 8Mbit user and a 512K user would get the same speed, assuming the
contention is so bad that it brings it down below 512K. More likely a
512K user would not see the contention at all whereas an 8Mbit would.

Thanks. I was hoping that was the case.

Jim.