whats the difference?

Old May 13th 07, 08:19 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Fox

Default whats the difference?

Between these two routers for sale via Amazon (I know one is for sale by
Pixmania)
http://www.amazon.co.uk/D-Link-AirPl...935102-4718049

http://www.amazon.co.uk/D-Link-DSL-G...935102-4718049

and for a normal home office network, is it worth paying the extra for the
more expensive one?

Old May 13th 07, 08:51 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Lurch

On Sun, 13 May 2007 20:19:56 +0100, "Fox"
mused:

Between these two routers for sale via Amazon (I know one is for sale by
Pixmania)
http://www.amazon.co.uk/D-Link-AirPl...935102-4718049

http://www.amazon.co.uk/D-Link-DSL-G...935102-4718049

and for a normal home office network, is it worth paying the extra for the
more expensive one?

One has an ADSL modem, one doesn't, so if you have ADSL buy the one
with an ADSL modem in it, if you have cable, buy the one without the
ADSL modem in it.
--
Regards,
Stuart.
Old May 13th 07, 09:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

"Lurch" wrote in message
news
On Sun, 13 May 2007 20:19:56 +0100, "Fox"
mused:

Between these two routers for sale via Amazon (I know one is for sale by
Pixmania)
http://www.amazon.co.uk/D-Link-AirPl...935102-4718049

http://www.amazon.co.uk/D-Link-DSL-G...935102-4718049

and for a normal home office network, is it worth paying the extra for the
more expensive one?

One has an ADSL modem, one doesn't, so if you have ADSL buy the one
with an ADSL modem in it, if you have cable, buy the one without the
ADSL modem in it.

If you want ADSL then this one comes with a USB adapter too

http://www.amazon.co.uk/D-Link-DSL-9...444925-2782866

Old May 13th 07, 09:03 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Crosland

Fox wrote:
Between these two routers for sale via Amazon (I know one is for sale
by Pixmania)
http://www.amazon.co.uk/D-Link-AirPl...935102-4718049

http://www.amazon.co.uk/D-Link-DSL-G...935102-4718049

and for a normal home office network, is it worth paying the extra
for the more expensive one?

The important thing is that you must have WPA2 encryption and decent access
control facilities. Neither is really up to the job for a commercial
environment. The Draytek Vigor 2800G would be more appropriate but of
course it does cost. It really comes down to how much you value your
security.

Peter Crosland

Old May 13th 07, 10:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gaz

Fox wrote:
Between these two routers for sale via Amazon (I know one is for sale by
Pixmania)
http://www.amazon.co.uk/D-Link-AirPl...935102-4718049

http://www.amazon.co.uk/D-Link-DSL-G...935102-4718049

and for a normal home office network, is it worth paying the extra for the
more expensive one?

I wouldnt recommend the dlink one unless you are getting someone to set it
up for you, it is not intuitive and a bit tricky to setup, if you want an
office level reliablity one go for the Draytek Vigor, for less critical home
office use the netgear it is generalll the most reliable of all the adsl
routers

http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/produ...118010&_LOC=UK

and you will get 10 off if you buy through google checkout.

Gaz

Old May 13th 07, 11:08 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Digby

On Sun, 13 May 2007 22:16:27 +0100, "Gaz" wrote:

Fox wrote:
Between these two routers for sale via Amazon (I know one is for sale by
Pixmania)
http://www.amazon.co.uk/D-Link-AirPl...935102-4718049

http://www.amazon.co.uk/D-Link-DSL-G...935102-4718049

and for a normal home office network, is it worth paying the extra for the
more expensive one?

I wouldnt recommend the dlink one unless you are getting someone to set it
up for you, it is not intuitive and a bit tricky to setup, if you want an
office level reliablity one go for the Draytek Vigor, for less critical home
office use the netgear it is generalll the most reliable of all the adsl
routers

http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/produ...118010&_LOC=UK

and you will get 10 off if you buy through google checkout.

Gaz

I'm a happy user of a Draytek Vigor 2800, but if you are considering
buying one I suggest you check out users comments at
http://www.draytek.co.uk/forum It would appear that they do not work
well on long or noisy lines and sundry other problems.
Old May 14th 07, 03:02 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Pixmania)http://www.amazon.co.uk/D-Link-AirPl...reless/dp/B000...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/D-Link-DSL-G...s-Firewall/dp/...

and for a normal home office network, is it worth paying the extra for the
more expensive one?

Got a Zyxel from PC World with USB Wifi stick - 40. Simple is ADSL2+
and has WPA2/AES etc.

Old May 14th 07, 07:25 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Fox

Fox wrote:
[...]

Thanks all. I currently have a Draytek 2600 but it constantly drops the
wireless connection

Old May 14th 07, 07:42 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Crosland

Fox wrote:
[...]

My 2800G works like a dream 24/7. Have you eliminated the other end of the
connection? In other words it could be the laptop end that is the problem.
As for the ADSL connection that has been running for 200 hours non stop.

Peter Crosland

Old May 14th 07, 08:50 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

"Peter Crosland" wrote in message

My 2800G works like a dream 24/7. Have you eliminated the other end of the
connection? In other words it could be the laptop end that is the problem.
As for the ADSL connection that has been running for 200 hours non stop.

My Sky Netgear one has been up 617 hours since I unplugged the 4 way to
change the powerhead on my aquarium.
It was up for weeks prior to that.
Most routers appear to be fairly reliable these days.. its lines/filtering
that are unreliable.