ADSL Disconnections

Old May 13th 07, 08:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Geoff Lane

Default ADSL Disconnections

I appreciate many network functions are transparent to the user but am
wondering if a normal adsl connection actually disconnects and
reconnects on a regular basis.

I am sure under normal surfing conditions tis would go completely unnoticed.

Geoff Lane
Old May 13th 07, 09:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Eeyore

Geoff Lane wrote:

I appreciate many network functions are transparent to the user but am
wondering if a normal adsl connection actually disconnects and
reconnects on a regular basis.

No. Examine your logs. If it is regularly doing that then you have a problem.

Graham

Old May 14th 07, 07:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Geoff Lane

Eeyore wrote:

Geoff Lane wrote:

I appreciate many network functions are transparent to the user but am
wondering if a normal adsl connection actually disconnects and
reconnects on a regular basis.

No. Examine your logs. If it is regularly doing that then you have a problem.

Not my connection I am wondering about, my daughter's connection has
been suffering problems but is slowly getting resolved.

Having not needed to view logs previously I was unsure if this was a
reglar or occasional problem with all adsl connections.

Geoff Lane
Old May 14th 07, 07:21 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Eeyore

Geoff Lane wrote:

Eeyore wrote:
Geoff Lane wrote:

I appreciate many network functions are transparent to the user but am
wondering if a normal adsl connection actually disconnects and
reconnects on a regular basis.

No. Examine your logs. If it is regularly doing that then you have a problem.

Not my connection I am wondering about, my daughter's connection has
been suffering problems but is slowly getting resolved.

Having not needed to view logs previously I was unsure if this was a
reglar or occasional problem with all adsl connections.

It certainly shouldn't be.

Graham

Old May 15th 07, 12:09 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
JW

Geoff Lane wrote:
I appreciate many network functions are transparent to the user but am
wondering if a normal adsl connection actually disconnects and
reconnects on a regular basis.

I am sure under normal surfing conditions tis would go completely
unnoticed.

My router loses sync regularly but it isn't noticeable. When
the margin drops too low, it will re-connect and that does
stop communications for up to half a minute, but it may only
happen once a day if the connection speed is at the lower
end of my range. If the router re-connects when the noise
levels are low, I get a higher speed, but more frequent
disconnections until it reaches a stable rate.
Old May 15th 07, 09:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Geoff Lane

JW wrote:

I appreciate many network functions are transparent to the user but am
wondering if a normal adsl connection actually disconnects and
reconnects on a regular basis.

I am sure under normal surfing conditions tis would go completely
unnoticed.

My router loses sync regularly but it isn't noticeable. When the margin
drops too low, it will re-connect and that does stop communications for
up to half a minute, but it may only happen once a day if the connection
speed is at the lower end of my range.

Thanks, I think if one has a relatively good connection then it probably
will not happen but, some of us are on the fringes of SNR and
attenuation levels.

Mine are fine but my daughter's adsl has been fine for a couple of days
and then the connection disappears for a while.

Geoff Lane