Pipex Reliability - I this the BT Exchange of Pipex themselves?

Old May 13th 07, 08:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Default Pipex Reliability - I this the BT Exchange of Pipex themselves?

My ADSL connection with Pipex has always been a bit flaky. I am certain my
equipment is not at fault as the connection is solid in the early morning
when I suspect few people are using it. However in the evening when I want
to use it most I often find it hard to connect and when I do connect it
drops again literally within seconds.
I would like to establish if the fault is with Pipex in which case I need a
new ISP or with the local BT exchange in which case this isn't going to
help.
Thanks in advance.

Old May 13th 07, 08:55 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Lurch

On Sun, 13 May 2007 20:39:55 +0100, "M"
mused:

My ADSL connection with Pipex has always been a bit flaky. I am certain my
equipment is not at fault as the connection is solid in the early morning
when I suspect few people are using it. However in the evening when I want
to use it most I often find it hard to connect and when I do connect it
drops again literally within seconds.
I would like to establish if the fault is with Pipex in which case I need a
new ISP or with the local BT exchange in which case this isn't going to
help.
Thanks in advance.

Well, it obviously depends on why it drops.
--
Regards,
Stuart.
Old May 13th 07, 10:20 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham

"M" wrote in message
My ADSL connection with Pipex has always been a bit flaky. I am certain
my equipment is not at fault as the connection is solid in the early
morning when I suspect few people are using it. However in the evening
when I want to use it most I often find it hard to connect and when I do
connect it drops again literally within seconds.
I would like to establish if the fault is with Pipex in which case I need
a new ISP or with the local BT exchange in which case this isn't going to
help.

Change to a different ISP first. Move to an ISP that offers first class
technical support - for example Zen. They will then help you to fix the
problem. If it transpires that the problem is with BT then your ISP is the
only route to getting tthe problem fixed - hence the need for a competent
ISP before you start.

--
Graham J

Old May 13th 07, 10:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Eeyore

Graham wrote:

"M" wrote

My ADSL connection with Pipex has always been a bit flaky. I am certain
my equipment is not at fault as the connection is solid in the early
morning when I suspect few people are using it. However in the evening
when I want to use it most I often find it hard to connect and when I do
connect it drops again literally within seconds.
I would like to establish if the fault is with Pipex in which case I need
a new ISP or with the local BT exchange in which case this isn't going to
help.

Change to a different ISP first. Move to an ISP that offers first class
technical support - for example Zen. They will then help you to fix the
problem. If it transpires that the problem is with BT then your ISP is the
only route to getting tthe problem fixed - hence the need for a competent
ISP before you start.

I think it's worth emphasising that point. Despite the average BT customer
thinking they can get BT to fix an adsl problem they can't. They require a good
ISP to liase with BT for them.

Graham

Old May 13th 07, 11:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham

"Eeyore" wrote in message

Graham wrote:

"M" wrote

[...]

And to re-emphasise what my namesake has said, BT is not a good ISP, so you
can't hope to improve matters by using them for telephone and ADSL.

Your first requirement is to get on board with a good ISP.

--
Graham J

Old May 14th 07, 12:43 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Eeyore

Graham wrote:

Your first requirement is to get on board with a good ISP.

I agree 100%. Moving to Idnet got my line problem fixed in10 minutes after the
BT (Openreach) engineer arrived that had defeated Plusnet for months. All that
Plusnet need have done was to ask BT to fix it but they didn't/wouldn't.

I'd certainly recommend Idnet, and Zen are in the same league. Neither are
hugely more expensive than many of the other major players yet they are streets
ahead in service, speed and reliability.

Graham

Old May 14th 07, 10:01 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PeterC

On Sun, 13 May 2007 20:39:55 +0100, M wrote:

My ADSL connection with Pipex has always been a bit flaky. I am certain my
equipment is not at fault as the connection is solid in the early morning
when I suspect few people are using it. However in the evening when I want
to use it most I often find it hard to connect and when I do connect it
drops again literally within seconds.
I would like to establish if the fault is with Pipex in which case I need a
new ISP or with the local BT exchange in which case this isn't going to
help.
Thanks in advance.

I'd say that it's Poopex. I'm on Homecall, which is now Poopex and the
connection is as you describe.
The reconnection goes: modem not found - long delay to time-out - delay to
connection - quick connection, depending on how soon I try to reconnect.
The first message is for only the initial 30 - 60s after dropping.
Always seems to be about 1530 - 2100 in the week, then variable at
weekends, but poor yesterday as most people were in on a wet day.
--
Peter.
If you can do it today, you didn't put off enough yesterday.
Old May 14th 07, 10:03 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Eeyore

PeterC wrote:

I'd say that it's Poopex.

LMAO !

I thought for a second it was Peter Crosland but he's never funny in that way.

Graham

Old May 21st 07, 12:56 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
NoNeedToKnow

On 14 May 2007, PeterC wrote:

The reconnection goes: modem not found - long delay to time-out - delay to
connection - quick connection, depending on how soon I try to reconnect.

For both yourself and the OP, I'd suggest using a router. They can be bought
quite cheaply now (25 quid inc delivery, compared with 90 + del + VAT a while
back) for the Zyxel Prestige. Ethernet cards are cheap if the PC has no RJ45
connection already, and the router should stay online more reliably than some
USB modem (which is what I assume you are using).
Old May 21st 07, 12:59 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
NoNeedToKnow

On 13 May 2007, "Graham" wrote:

Change to a different ISP first.

crumbs, changing ISP is quite a lot more hassle than changing equipment,
eg borrowing a router from someone and reporting attenuation figures, etc.

We know hardly anything about the situation for the OP and changing ISP is
far from the simplest of options... and as OP has hinted, if the line is a
problem, switching ISP is not guaranteed to do very much.