Strange problem with router or DSL line

Old May 15th 07, 11:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin Underwood

Default Strange problem with router or DSL line

My Netgear DG834GT has just started getting into an intermittent
uncommunicative state - although it can still ping external sites, it won't
resolve external domain addresses and I can't browse web sites even by IP
address.

The LAN side of the router (both Ethernet and wireless) is fine.

The symptom is that the DSL light starts flickering furiously as if it's
transferring data, but neither the wireless nor Ethernet lights flash in
sync as they would if it was a real data transfer.

Once the router has got into this state, the only solution is to reboot the
router or pull the DSL lead out for a few seconds and let it resync.

Interestingly, the noise margin gets slightly worse when the problem arises:
normally it's 15 dB +/- 0.1 and it falls to 11 dB - still good but it never
drops as far as 11 in normal working state.

It seems to be worst in the evening. It ran all day from 4 AM to about 8 PM,
then it's been dropping out every half hour or so (but not that regularly)
ever since.

Stats are (when working):

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 8128 kbps 448 kbps
Line Attenuation 7.0 db 5.5 db
Noise Margin 14.9 db 24.0 db

When it's gone uncommunicative

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 8128 kbps 448 kbps
Line Attenuation 7.0 db 5.5 db
Noise Margin 11.6 db 24.0 db

Does this sound like line or router problem?

I've swapped round microfilters and DSL cable, and unplugged all other phone
lines/filters.

Old May 16th 07, 07:29 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jon

[email protected] declared for all the world to hear...
My Netgear DG834GT has just started getting into an intermittent
uncommunicative state - although it can still ping external sites, it won't
resolve external domain addresses and I can't browse web sites even by IP
address.

The LAN side of the router (both Ethernet and wireless) is fine.

The symptom is that the DSL light starts flickering furiously as if it's
transferring data, but neither the wireless nor Ethernet lights flash in
sync as they would if it was a real data transfer.

Once the router has got into this state, the only solution is to reboot the
router or pull the DSL lead out for a few seconds and let it resync.

Welcome to netgear.
--
Regards
Jon
Old May 16th 07, 08:22 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
dave @ stejonda

In message , Martin
Underwood writes
My Netgear DG834GT has just started getting into an intermittent
uncommunicative state - although it can still ping external sites, it
won't resolve external domain addresses and I can't browse web sites
even by IP address.

that's why I dumped my dg834 & bought a Draytek

--
dave @ stejonda
Old May 16th 07, 09:15 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Alec

Is there something in your house which is in use in the evening when the
fault occurs and not in use when there is no fault?

Alec

Old May 16th 07, 09:50 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mortimer

"Alec" wrote in message
Is there something in your house which is in use in the evening when the
fault occurs and not in use when there is no fault?

No. I can't think of anything. It's not related to which computers are on,
or what they are being used for.

On a couple of occasions the router has run fine all day and then has got
into the state some time between 1 AM and 5 AM with no computers talking to
it. Last night around 11 PM it was dropping out every 10 minutes and then
ran perfectly for an hour or so after that till I went to bed.

I don't want to have to buy a new router unless it's necessary - obviously,
at 80 or so.

I'll try it on my master socker. Am I correct that if I plug it into the
test socket within the master socket, the house wiring out of the back of
the master socket is not implicated?

The odd thing is that everything has worked perfectly for about two years:
apart from very occasional line-drops at about 5 AM which I put down to BT
or my ISP testing something, the connection has stayed up for ages - I think
the longest time between disconnections was about 3000 hours.

Old May 16th 07, 09:52 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bryce Whiteford

On Tue, 15 May 2007 23:57:52 +0100, "Martin Underwood" [email protected] wrote:

My Netgear DG834GT has just started getting into an intermittent
uncommunicative state - although it can still ping external sites, it won't
resolve external domain addresses and I can't browse web sites even by IP
address.

The LAN side of the router (both Ethernet and wireless) is fine.

I had something similar with a 2wire router. For me it seems to have
been caused by a zone alarm firewall issue. Fault was intermittent,
could pick up email, but not get to the internet. Rebooting the router
would cure for a time, but not using zone alarm appears to have fixed?

--
Bryce Whiteford

Old May 16th 07, 11:55 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
James Egan

On Wed, 16 May 2007 08:22:19 +0100, "dave @ stejonda"
wrote:

My Netgear DG834GT has just started getting into an intermittent
uncommunicative state - although it can still ping external sites, it
won't resolve external domain addresses and I can't browse web sites
even by IP address.

that's why I dumped my dg834 & bought a Draytek

It's in sky's terms to supply a free replacement router if their
supplied DG834GT conks out.

Jim.

Old May 16th 07, 12:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin Underwood

wrote:

My Netgear DG834GT has just started getting into an intermittent
uncommunicative state - although it can still ping external sites, it
won't resolve external domain addresses and I can't browse web sites
even by IP address.

that's why I dumped my dg834 & bought a Draytek

It's in sky's terms to supply a free replacement router if their
supplied DG834GT conks out.

Unfortunately my DG834GT is one I bought myself, as my ISP were only
offering a non-wireless router as an option at the time I got broadband, so
I opted for wires-only and my own router.

If it's the router that's knackered, then at least I've had two years'
flawless service out of it up to now, thought I'd hope it would last longer
than two years.

I'd love to know why the problem seems to depend on time of day: is it due
to extra contention on DSL or is there something within my house which Im
not aware of which happens in the evenings and at night but not during the
day. Central heating is one obvious candidate, but it doesn't explain
outages around 1-5 AM when the heating would be off again.

Old May 16th 07, 08:13 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
dave @ stejonda

In message , James Egan
writes

wrote:

My Netgear DG834GT has just started getting into an intermittent
uncommunicative state - although it can still ping external sites, it
won't resolve external domain addresses and I can't browse web sites
even by IP address.

that's why I dumped my dg834 & bought a Draytek

It's in sky's terms to supply a free replacement router if their
supplied DG834GT conks out.

Is the Op using Sky BB?

--
dave @ stejonda
Old May 16th 07, 09:18 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mortimer

"dave @ stejonda" wrote in
message ...
In message , James Egan
writes

wrote:

My Netgear DG834GT has just started getting into an intermittent
uncommunicative state - although it can still ping external sites, it
won't resolve external domain addresses and I can't browse web sites
even by IP address.

that's why I dumped my dg834 & bought a Draytek

It's in sky's terms to supply a free replacement router if their
supplied DG834GT conks out.

Is the Op using Sky BB?

No. Force 9. I don't think I mentioned Sky - but thanks for the info: if I
had been using Sky I'd have been able to take them up on the offer of a
replacement.

It's very odd. Route ran all day connected to BT master socket (instead of
BT-installed extension socket) with only this laptop conected wirelessly (to
eliminate effect of other computer). Then it dropped out three times in the
space of 20 minutes from 1900-1920.

Now got router plugged into master test socket via BT-RJ11 cable (no
microfilters or other house wiring/phones implicated) to see how it goes. So
far it's not dropped, but it will be interesting to see if it stay up
overnight: so far each morning the router has gone into silly mode some time
overnight.

If I had another router I'd try it, but I haven't - unless I can beg borrow
or steal one from a local shop that I deal with.