Warning to PlusNet users, old & new

Old May 16th 07, 09:54 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Hewitt

Default Warning to PlusNet users, old & new

Stan The Man wrote:

God help you all. The best cure is to change ISP immediately.

Probably not, I closed my account with them almost 3 years ago, and my
web site is still live.

--
Andy Hewitt
http://web.mac.com/andrewhewitt1/
Old May 16th 07, 10:34 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Stan The Man

Following yet another mail security breach, PlusNet customers past and
present are being bombarded with spam. Even email addresses which
haven't been used for years are being targeted.

It seems that PlusNet's webmail database has been stolen (including F9)
- and with it go fears that customers' passwords and banking details
may also be compromised. PlusNet's status report on this incident is at
http://usertools.plus.net/status/archive/1179240249.htm

It has also become apparent that despite being warned by a customer on
May 5th about a trojan downloaded from their webmail server, PlusNet
did not manage to flush it out until May 9th and at no time did they
alert customers to the real risk of damage to the data stored on their
computers.

In fact, PlusNet said nothing until the spam hit the fan yesterday - a
delay of 10 days since the trojan was first discovered. Such incredible
contempt for customers' security must leave PlusNet liable for a big
Ofcom fine if not criminal damages.

Advice to PlusNet users on how to mitigate the damage can be found at
http://bbs.adslguide.org.uk/showthre...usnet&Number=3
001934&page=0&view=expanded&sb=5&o=2&fpart=

God help you all. The best cure is to change ISP immediately.

Stan
Old May 16th 07, 12:28 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Stef

yep, I'm getting bombarded. Really SHOULD change but it all just seems to
much hassle!

Old May 16th 07, 12:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Allan Gould

Stan The Man wrote:
Following yet another mail security breach, PlusNet customers past and
present are being bombarded with spam. Even email addresses which
haven't been used for years are being targeted.

Glad I got out earlier this year

I too had noticed the spam this week on a couple of (effectively
dormant) accounts which hadn't been touched in years.

Old May 16th 07, 12:48 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PlusNet Support Team

Andy Hewitt wrote:
Stan The Man wrote:

God help you all. The best cure is to change ISP immediately.

Probably not, I closed my account with them almost 3 years ago, and my
web site is still live.

Was your account downgraded to a non-subscription dial up variant? If so
that could certainly explain this.

Kind Rgds,

Old May 16th 07, 02:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Hewitt

PlusNet Support Team wrote:

Andy Hewitt wrote:
Stan The Man wrote:

God help you all. The best cure is to change ISP immediately.

Probably not, I closed my account with them almost 3 years ago, and my
web site is still live.

Was your account downgraded to a non-subscription dial up variant? If so
that could certainly explain this.

Not as far as I know Bob. Unfortunately we did have a little falling
out, and my account should have been cancelled.

The site in question is:

http://www.thehewitts.plus.com/

I cannot access my account using the original login now either.

Cheers.

Old May 16th 07, 02:42 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gaz

Stan The Man wrote:
[...]

my yahoo address has been bombarded with spam for the last couple of weeks
or so, getting past their usually efficient spam filters, it was my primary
address when i was with plusnet,.....

Gaz

Old May 16th 07, 04:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Me

On Wed, 16 May 2007 14:42:35 +0100, "Gaz" wrote:

my yahoo address has been bombarded with spam for the last couple of weeks
or so, getting past their usually efficient spam filters, it was my primary
address when i was with plusnet,.....

Gaz

Plusnet have probably been flogging email addresses again :-(
Old May 16th 07, 05:18 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PlusNet Support Team

On Wed, 16 May 2007 14:09:17 +0100, Andy Hewitt
wrote:

PlusNet Support Team wrote:

Andy Hewitt wrote:
Stan The Man wrote:

God help you all. The best cure is to change ISP immediately.

Probably not, I closed my account with them almost 3 years ago, and my
web site is still live.

Was your account downgraded to a non-subscription dial up variant? If so
that could certainly explain this.

Not as far as I know Bob. Unfortunately we did have a little falling
out, and my account should have been cancelled.

The site in question is:

http://www.thehewitts.plus.com/

I cannot access my account using the original login now either.

Cheers.

Ta, we've raised it as a priority problem and posted he

http://www.plus.net/support/service/...roblemId=42934