Virgin Media BB speed variations

Old May 16th 07, 11:42 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bryan

Default Virgin Media BB speed variations

I have an ADSL account with Virgin called Plan 3 which is rated at 1 Mbps. I
regularly do speed tests at http://www.dslzoneuk.net/speedtest.php and have
found that the speed of the connection varies from a high of around 93% of
the advertised speed to around 11%. The speed goes up and down on a daily
basis like a rollercoaster. The highest speeds are never in the evenings and
weekends.

It looks to me as if the speed depends on how many people are using the
internet. I have a Sky Mid BB account at my main home and the speed of that
varies very little and certainly not on a daily basis.

Is it worth me contacting Virgin about this or am I just going to be wasting
my time and 25p per minute on the phone as the tech support number is
0906....?

Old May 16th 07, 04:00 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
{{{{{Welcome}}}}}

Bryan wrote:
I have an ADSL account with Virgin called Plan 3 which is rated at 1
Mbps. I regularly do speed tests at
http://www.dslzoneuk.net/speedtest.php and have found that the speed
of the connection varies from a high of around 93% of the advertised
speed to around 11%. The speed goes up and down on a daily basis like
a rollercoaster. The highest speeds are never in the evenings and
weekends.

It looks to me as if the speed depends on how many people are using
the internet. I have a Sky Mid BB account at my main home and the
speed of that varies very little and certainly not on a daily basis.

Is it worth me contacting Virgin about this or am I just going to be
wasting my time and 25p per minute on the phone as the tech support
number is 0906....?

See what Virgin Media have to say in:

virginmedia.feedback

http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/MovetoMetric
Old May 16th 07, 05:55 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Eeyore

{{{{{Welcome}}}}} wrote:

Bryan wrote:
I have an ADSL account with Virgin called Plan 3 which is rated at 1
Mbps. I regularly do speed tests at
http://www.dslzoneuk.net/speedtest.php and have found that the speed
of the connection varies from a high of around 93% of the advertised
speed to around 11%. The speed goes up and down on a daily basis like
a rollercoaster. The highest speeds are never in the evenings and
weekends.

It looks to me as if the speed depends on how many people are using
the internet. I have a Sky Mid BB account at my main home and the
speed of that varies very little and certainly not on a daily basis.

Is it worth me contacting Virgin about this or am I just going to be
wasting my time and 25p per minute on the phone as the tech support
number is 0906....?

See what Virgin Media have to say

Almost nothing it seems.

in: virginmedia.feedback

Graham

Old May 16th 07, 05:59 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
{{{{{Welcome}}}}}

Eeyore wrote:
{{{{{Welcome}}}}} wrote:

Bryan wrote:
I have an ADSL account with Virgin called Plan 3 which is rated at 1
Mbps. I regularly do speed tests at
http://www.dslzoneuk.net/speedtest.php and have found that the speed
of the connection varies from a high of around 93% of the advertised
speed to around 11%. The speed goes up and down on a daily basis
like a rollercoaster. The highest speeds are never in the evenings
and weekends.

It looks to me as if the speed depends on how many people are using
the internet. I have a Sky Mid BB account at my main home and the
speed of that varies very little and certainly not on a daily basis.

Is it worth me contacting Virgin about this or am I just going to be
wasting my time and 25p per minute on the phone as the tech support
number is 0906....?

See what Virgin Media have to say

Almost nothing it seems.

Yeah, they don't like admitting that their infrastructure is
over-subscribed.

in: virginmedia.feedback

Graham

--
http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/MovetoMetric

Old May 17th 07, 03:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

{{{{{Welcome}}}}} wrote:
Eeyore wrote:

{{{{{Welcome}}}}} wrote:

Bryan wrote:

[...]

Yeh my mate has been having this problem (through Walworth exchange in
London)
Didn't bother phoning as its a waste of time.
Sent e-mail to their CS - guess what - no reply.

Doesn't get any better does it?

Mike