easiest, simplest wireless router

Old May 16th 07, 12:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Stef

Default easiest, simplest wireless router

which is recommended as the simplest router that will provide wireless
access upstairs and downstairs. my daughter wants to go wireless but it
needs to be something that more or less sets itself up and keeps on working
without having to keep adjusting the settings etc. I haven't time to keep
going over there!

Old May 16th 07, 12:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin Underwood

"Stef" wrote in message
which is recommended as the simplest router that will provide wireless
access upstairs and downstairs. my daughter wants to go wireless but it
needs to be something that more or less sets itself up and keeps on
working without having to keep adjusting the settings etc. I haven't time
to keep going over there!

Netgear DG834G or GT or PN.

In my exerience, steer clear of Linksys - seem to be unreliable.

Dlink are tedious to set up. No experience of Belkin or the expensive brands
like Draytek.

obligatory warning
Remember to set up WPA security on the wireless network.
/obligatory warning

Old May 16th 07, 07:40 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Steve Olive

Martin Underwood wrote:
"Stef" wrote in message
which is recommended as the simplest router that will provide wireless
access upstairs and downstairs. my daughter wants to go wireless but it
needs to be something that more or less sets itself up and keeps on
working without having to keep adjusting the settings etc. I haven't time
to keep going over there!

Netgear DG834G or GT or PN.

In my exerience, steer clear of Linksys - seem to be unreliable.

Dlink are tedious to set up. No experience of Belkin or the expensive brands
like Draytek.

obligatory warning
Remember to set up WPA security on the wireless network.
/obligatory warning

Yep, Netgear for me (I've recommended the 834 many times and they are
pretty flawless.)

I have an early Belkin router though, and that can't be faulted (though
they are not too well regarded I believe) It also runs a bit hot for my
liking.
Old May 16th 07, 10:43 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Stef

which is recommended as the simplest router that will provide wireless
access upstairs and downstairs. my daughter wants to go wireless but it
needs to be something that more or less sets itself up and keeps on
working without having to keep adjusting the settings etc. I haven't time
to keep going over there!

Do you think it's worth paying the extra for the
Netgear DG834PN? (Bearing in mind she has problems establishing a connection
between upstairs and downstairs?)

Old May 16th 07, 10:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mortimer

"Stef" wrote in message
which is recommended as the simplest router that will provide wireless
access upstairs and downstairs. my daughter wants to go wireless but it
needs to be something that more or less sets itself up and keeps on
working without having to keep adjusting the settings etc. I haven't time
to keep going over there!

Do you think it's worth paying the extra for the
Netgear DG834PN? (Bearing in mind she has problems establishing a
connection between upstairs and downstairs?)

If so, maybe yes. The PN claims to have a greater range but I don't know
whether any independent tests have shown a significant difference.

Whereabouts is the router - upstairs or downstairs? Can it be moved at all
to avoid large metal objects or water tanks casting a shadow between router
and wireless PC?

Old May 16th 07, 10:55 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Stef

"Mortimer" wrote in message

"Stef" wrote in message
which is recommended as the simplest router that will provide wireless
access upstairs and downstairs. my daughter wants to go wireless but it
needs to be something that more or less sets itself up and keeps on
working without having to keep adjusting the settings etc. I haven't
time to keep going over there!

Do you think it's worth paying the extra for the
Netgear DG834PN? (Bearing in mind she has problems establishing a
connection between upstairs and downstairs?)

If so, maybe yes. The PN claims to have a greater range but I don't know
whether any independent tests have shown a significant difference.

Whereabouts is the router - upstairs or downstairs? Can it be moved at all
to avoid large metal objects or water tanks casting a shadow between
router and wireless PC?

It's upstairs. If she can establish a permanent connection she could move
it to anywhere but currently her desktop pc is plugged in upstairs. As far
as I know there's no water tanks or metal objects between it and the floor
below