Porting number and broadband - tricky problem

Old May 16th 07, 07:56 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mortimer

Default Porting number and broadband - tricky problem

A customer has approched me for advice on migrating number and broadband.

He currently has two lines:

- NTL: Number A
- BT: Number B

(Both numbers have same dialling code)

He has BT Yahoo email / BT Internet broadband on BT line, currently number
B.
Old May 17th 07, 06:40 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dieseldes

"Mortimer" wrote in message
A customer has approched me for advice on migrating number and broadband.

He currently has two lines:

- NTL: Number A
- BT: Number B

(Both numbers have same dialling code)

He has BT Yahoo email / BT Internet broadband on BT line, currently number
B.

What he wants to achieve is:

- merge the voice and broadband onto one line (BT)
- preserve his well-publicised number A (doesn't care about number B)
- preserve his existing broadband account, especially the BT Yahoo email
address

He wants to:

- port number A onto the BT line (and cease the NTL line)
- preserve the existing BT broadband service and email mailbox on the BT
line, which is now number A

Is there a mechanism for achieving this? It looks like a special case of
the general case when a customer moves house and transfers the broadband
service and email.

Should he (in order):

- inform NTL that he will be ceasing their line and porting the number to
a BT line
- inform BT (phone service) that he wants to port an NTL number to his BT
line and that he will want his existing broadband on it: same physical
line but new number
- inform BT broadband to migrate his existing service from number B to
number A

My brain is beginning to hurt with the logistics of making this happen!
I've said I'll give him unofficial advice on a non-chargeable basis and
that he has to do all the phoning around!

I suspect he won't be able to easily port the NTL no. A mate of mine tried a
couple of months ago to do exactly that, ended up getting the old BT house
number back I had to disconnect the extension wiring from the ntl line and
change it over to the BT line.
He kept the NTL cable broadband he reckoned it was cheaper than changing
over to BT.

NTL either said no or certainly didn't want to port. I'll ask him later

My neighbour cancelled her BT broadband account last mont but has kept her
email address on BT dial-up

Des

Old May 18th 07, 12:32 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Paul Cupis

Dieseldes wrote:
NTL either said no or certainly didn't want to port. I'll ask him later

Operators including NTL are required to support porting their numbers
out to other operators. They cannot say no. At the same time, and
end-user does not ask NTL to port a number to BT. The end-user asked BT
to port the number /in/ and BT ask NTL.