Electrical Equipment and ADSL Connections

Old May 16th 07, 08:51 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Geoff Lane

Default Electrical Equipment and ADSL Connections

Trying to resolve an ongoing problem with my daughter's adsl connection
I would like to inquire if electrical equipment close to the main and
only phone socket could affect the adsl connection.

I have replaced the main BT socket where it enters the house and there
are no wired extensions from this plug.

Her connection can seem fine for some time and then she loses the adsl
completely, sometimes for a considerable time.

Close to the phone socket her partner has quite a bit of marine fish
electrical equipment, eg pumps and thermostats, time switches etc; could
this have any effect on the adsl connection.

Geoff Lane
Old May 16th 07, 09:46 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bert

Geoff Lane ] said:
Trying to resolve an ongoing problem with my daughter's adsl connection
I would like to inquire if electrical equipment close to the main and
only phone socket could affect the adsl connection.

I have replaced the main BT socket where it enters the house and there
are no wired extensions from this plug.

Her connection can seem fine for some time and then she loses the adsl
completely, sometimes for a considerable time.

Close to the phone socket her partner has quite a bit of marine fish
electrical equipment, eg pumps and thermostats, time switches etc; could
this have any effect on the adsl connection.

Geoff Lane

"Could" is a difficult word but the equipment you describe should not
affect ADSL.

I think you will find many a household has fish (including me) without
the set up causing issues with the telecoms so personally I would look
elsewhere for the source of the problem.
Old May 16th 07, 10:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Geoff Lane

Bert wrote:

I think you will find many a household has fish (including me) without
the set up causing issues with the telecoms so personally I would look
elsewhere for the source of the problem.

Checked practically everything with no luck, I didn't really think it
should affect the connection but there are numerous plugs and equipment
very close the the phone socket.

Geoff Lane

Old May 16th 07, 10:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Eeyore

Geoff Lane wrote:

Trying to resolve an ongoing problem with my daughter's adsl connection
I would like to inquire if electrical equipment close to the main and
only phone socket could affect the adsl connection.

It depends what is is. I twould need to radiate RF frequencies to have an
effect.

I have replaced the main BT socket where it enters the house and there
are no wired extensions from this plug.

Her connection can seem fine for some time and then she loses the adsl
completely, sometimes for a considerable time.

Close to the phone socket her partner has quite a bit of marine fish
electrical equipment, eg pumps and thermostats, time switches etc; could
this have any effect on the adsl connection.

Pretty unlikely.

Of course if you switch it off and monitor the line stats you'll see straight
away.

Graham

Old May 16th 07, 10:28 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Eeyore

Geoff Lane wrote:

Bert wrote:

I think you will find many a household has fish (including me) without
the set up causing issues with the telecoms so personally I would look
elsewhere for the source of the problem.

Checked practically everything with no luck, I didn't really think it
should affect the connection but there are numerous plugs and equipment
very close the the phone socket.

Do you have any neighbours very close nearby. Is it a terraced home for example
?

Graham

Old May 16th 07, 10:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Simpsons

"Geoff Lane" wrote in message
Trying to resolve an ongoing problem with my daughter's adsl connection I
would like to inquire if electrical equipment close to the main and only
phone socket could affect the adsl connection.

I have replaced the main BT socket where it enters the house and there are
no wired extensions from this plug.

Her connection can seem fine for some time and then she loses the adsl
completely, sometimes for a considerable time.

Close to the phone socket her partner has quite a bit of marine fish
electrical equipment, eg pumps and thermostats, time switches etc; could
this have any effect on the adsl connection.

Geoff Lane

Normally electrical equipment shouldn't cause a problem (unless it's
faulty).
Switch it off for half hour and see what happens, I'm sure the fish would
survive that.
What stats. do see from the modem, do these change with the nearby equip.
off?

Old May 16th 07, 11:21 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mike Civil

In article ,
Geoff Lane wrote:
Close to the phone socket her partner has quite a bit of marine fish
electrical equipment, eg pumps and thermostats, time switches etc; could
this have any effect on the adsl connection.

As it's a marine setup then, depending on setup, there could be a few bits
of 'interesting' or higher power kit present, eg ultraviolet sterilisers,
high power water or air pumps, protein skimmers or specific lighting types
(eg metal halide and/or high power fluorescents). It's conceivable that
there could be some interference, especially on the lighting side.

Mike
Old May 16th 07, 11:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bert

Geoff Lane ] said:
Bert wrote:

I think you will find many a household has fish (including me) without
the set up causing issues with the telecoms so personally I would look
elsewhere for the source of the problem.

Checked practically everything with no luck,

Perhaps the problem is BT side.

I didn't really think it
should affect the connection but there are numerous plugs and equipment
very close the the phone socket.

Still shouldn't be an issue.
Old May 17th 07, 09:08 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kráftéé

Bert wrote:
Geoff Lane ] said:
Bert wrote:

I think you will find many a household has fish (including me)
without the set up causing issues with the telecoms so personally
I would look elsewhere for the source of the problem.

Checked practically everything with no luck,

Perhaps the problem is BT side.

I didn't really think it
should affect the connection but there are numerous plugs and
equipment very close the the phone socket.

Still shouldn't be an issue.

Tell that to the people who loose their service because of a routers
power supply in the next street goes noisey, likewise a Sky digi box a
mile away (& so it goes on).

Anything electrical can cause a problem even if it's not physically
connected to the telephone line. The best recourse for the OP, as
already said, is if he thinks it's anything to do with the aquarium
equipment is to switch it off (for the longest but safest time) to
see if the problem goes away. Before that they may want to use a hand
held radio tuned to Radio 5 (AM) & just quickly pass it over the
equipment, just to see if there are any transient noise spikes
(thermostate opening & closing etc).

If all apears to be alright then get onto there ISP & get them to
raise an issue with BT Wholesale who should progress that to a DSL
trained Openreach engineer (doesn't always work but it's the only way
to go) do not raise an issue direct as nowadays that is almost a
certain way off being stung with at least a visit charge (& very
possibly the hourly rate as well).