UK ADSL Requirement

Old May 17th 07, 07:55 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Default UK ADSL Requirement

Hi,

If you use ADSL, most likely you are a BT or Kingston Telecom
customer, and therefore still have to pay your telephone line rental
to either of the respective telecom providers.

On the prime ministers website a petition has been created to petition
the prime minister to try and place some pressure on the telecom
providers in the UK to make them drop the requirement to have to pay
telephone line rental.

The reasons is, BT and KT call charges are way over priced if you
compare to VoIP, the call quality is not that different either, so why
should we pay line rental for a service we have no intention on using
for voice calls, when all we need the BT or KT line for is simply to
have ADSL Broadband?

If you support this then please feel free to sign the petition which
can be found at http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/NakedADSL/

Also feel free to pass this petition URL to your friends, family and
colleagues.

With Thanks

Old May 17th 07, 08:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Crosland

If you use ADSL, most likely you are a BT or Kingston Telecom
customer, and therefore still have to pay your telephone line rental
to either of the respective telecom providers.

On the prime ministers website a petition has been created to petition
the prime minister to try and place some pressure on the telecom
providers in the UK to make them drop the requirement to have to pay
telephone line rental.

The reasons is, BT and KT call charges are way over priced if you
compare to VoIP, the call quality is not that different either, so why
should we pay line rental for a service we have no intention on using
for voice calls, when all we need the BT or KT line for is simply to
have ADSL Broadband?

You really don't have a clue of economic reality do you? Who do you think is
going to pay for the use of the line from you to the exchange? Do you think
there are no costs incurred with the line? All the repair and maintenance
has to be funded somehow. Why do you think you should be subsidised by
someone else? Even the PM, or his successor, could come up with an idea as
devoid of merit than yours.

Peter Crosland

Old May 17th 07, 08:05 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Simpsons

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi,

If you use ADSL, most likely you are a BT or Kingston Telecom
customer, and therefore still have to pay your telephone line rental
to either of the respective telecom providers.

On the prime ministers website a petition has been created to petition
the prime minister to try and place some pressure on the telecom
providers in the UK to make them drop the requirement to have to pay
telephone line rental.

The reasons is, BT and KT call charges are way over priced if you
compare to VoIP, the call quality is not that different either, so why
should we pay line rental for a service we have no intention on using
for voice calls, when all we need the BT or KT line for is simply to
have ADSL Broadband?

Line rental is for the line which ARE using, not for calls.
Who is going to maintain the line for free let alone provide it free.
Do you work without pay?

Old May 17th 07, 08:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Simpsons

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi,

If you use ADSL, most likely you are a BT or Kingston Telecom
customer, and therefore still have to pay your telephone line rental
to either of the respective telecom providers.

On the prime ministers website a petition has been created to petition
the prime minister to try and place some pressure on the telecom
providers in the UK to make them drop the requirement to have to pay
telephone line rental.

The reasons is, BT and KT call charges are way over priced if you
compare to VoIP, the call quality is not that different either, so why
should we pay line rental for a service we have no intention on using
for voice calls, when all we need the BT or KT line for is simply to
have ADSL Broadband?

We the undersigned petition the Prime Minister to Force British Telecom (BT)
to end the monopoly on the requirement to have an active telephone line to
use ADSL Internet.

The wording is stupid, how will ADSL work without an active line?

Old May 17th 07, 08:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
George Weston

wrote in message
[...]

So, your ISP provides you with Broadband at (say) 20 a month. Your ISP
makes their money.
But wait - there's no wire from your house to the telephone exchange!
What to do? How do we connect you up?
I know, let's get BT to put in a phone line at 11 a month. BT make their
money.
But I don't want to make phone calls!
So? Use your mobile.
Ever.
OK - the line's still there if you need it. Your mobile battery might be
down and you might want to make a 999 call.
I'll take the risk. Can't BT completely remove the ability to make voice
calls on the line?
Why would they want to - they also make money from call charges!
Is there something that would do instead of a voice line?
Possibly - it's called a leased line or private circuit.
Couldn't I have one of those instead then?
Quite possibly - but it would be your own dedicated circuit, and would
probably cost more than 11 a month.
Oh.

;-)

George

Old May 17th 07, 09:18 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Alastair

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi,

If you use ADSL, most likely you are a BT or Kingston Telecom
customer, and therefore still have to pay your telephone line rental
to either of the respective telecom providers.

On the prime ministers website a petition has been created to petition
the prime minister to try and place some pressure on the telecom
providers in the UK to make them drop the requirement to have to pay
telephone line rental.

The reasons is, BT and KT call charges are way over priced if you
compare to VoIP, the call quality is not that different either, so why
should we pay line rental for a service we have no intention on using
for voice calls, when all we need the BT or KT line for is simply to
have ADSL Broadband?

Don't you think the clue might be in the term "*line* rental"?

Twit!

Old May 17th 07, 09:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

"George Weston" wrote in message

Is there something that would do instead of a voice line?
Possibly - it's called a leased line or private circuit.
Couldn't I have one of those instead then?
Quite possibly - but it would be your own dedicated circuit, and would
probably cost more than 11 a month.
Oh.

Voice lines are dedicated.. you don't share it with anyone else.

It would be possible for BT to save the cost of the exchange equipment for
the voice calls.
However that would only save a small amount now and nothing when 21cn roles
out.

Old May 17th 07, 10:26 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

On 17-May-2007, "Alastair" wrote:

so why
should we pay line rental for a service we have no intention on using
for voice calls, when all we need the BT or KT line for is simply to
have ADSL Broadband?

You are paying for use of the wires, together with the maintenance
of cables and junction boxes.
You are using a pair in the street (underground plant) which
is a finite resource, if more connections are needed than the cable
capacity, they have to pull in another cable which costs money.
Once installed cables can get waterlogged, HGV's on the
pavement cause duct collapse, wooden poles rot, lightning
strikes, it all costs money whether you use it for voice or not.

You can rent from BT wires only circuits, 2-wire or 4-wire,
but these are mainly circuits for point to point connections
in the same exchange area, where the customer provides
the modems. For example a business may have two offices
within half a mile of each other, or a campus may have
several buildings each side of a public road, and digging
a duct is not an option.
You can also rent fibre circuits.
Your ISP will be renting fibre circuits from one of
the carriers, BT, C&W, Telewest, whoever has fibre
in the area and who offers the best price.
You can also rent private circuits between continents.

You will however find that you are paying a high price.
Old May 18th 07, 06:53 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Flyer

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi,

If you use ADSL, most likely you are a BT or Kingston Telecom
customer, and therefore still have to pay your telephone line rental
to either of the respective telecom providers.

and?

On the prime ministers website a petition has been created to petition
the prime minister to try and place some pressure on the telecom
providers in the UK to make them drop the requirement to have to pay
telephone line rental.

Ah...so presumably, if a fault developed on said line, you'd get it fixed
at your cost presumably?
And you'd have no problems providing your own line for your ADSL if BT
disconnected THEIR line?

The reasons is, BT and KT call charges are way over priced if you
compare to VoIP, the call quality is not that different either, so why
should we pay line rental for a service we have no intention on using
for voice calls, when all we need the BT or KT line for is simply to
have ADSL Broadband?

then don't use the line for voice calls, it's your choice.

If you support this then please feel free to sign the petition which
can be found at http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/NakedADSL/

I think not, most of us live on Earth

P.