UK ADSL Requirement

Old May 17th 07, 08:54 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip

Default UK ADSL Requirement

Hi,

If you use ADSL, most likely you are a BT or Kingston Telecom
customer, and therefore still have to pay your telephone line rental
to either of the respective telecom providers.

On the prime ministers website a petition has been created to petition
the prime minister to try and place some pressure on the telecom
providers in the UK to make them drop the requirement to have to pay
telephone line rental.

The reasons is, BT and KT call charges are way over priced if you
compare to VoIP, the call quality is not that different either, so why
should we pay line rental for a service we have no intention on using
for voice calls, when all we need the BT or KT line for is simply to
have ADSL Broadband?

If you support this then please feel free to sign the petition which
can be found at http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/NakedADSL/

Also feel free to pass this petition URL to your friends, family and
colleagues.

With Thanks

Old May 17th 07, 11:05 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Brian Gregory [UK]

I so wish there was a section on that site where knowledgable people could
tell some of the jerks that start ludicrous petitions on there how ignorant
they are.

--

Brian Gregory. (In the UK)

To email me remove the letter vee.

Old May 18th 07, 12:08 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Clint Sharp

In message , "Brian Gregory
[UK]" writes
I so wish there was a section on that site where knowledgable people could
tell some of the jerks that start ludicrous petitions on there how ignorant
they are.

Why not start a petition to get one then?
--
Clint Sharp
Old May 18th 07, 12:33 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip

On 17 May, 22:05, "Brian Gregory [UK]" wrote:
I so wish there was a section on that site where knowledgable people could
tell some of the jerks that start ludicrous petitions on there how ignorant
they are.

--

Brian Gregory. (In the UK)

To email me remove the letter vee.

Brian when you find someone knowledgable to tell the jerks, let me
know, as i'll send them your way.

I wasn't the one who started the petition, I was simply posting it at
the request of the person who actually created the so called
"ludicrous" petition.

Old May 18th 07, 01:16 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
News Reader

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

I think this is a very fair and good point.

Whilst it is equally, to an order (say 50% of current line rental costs),
fair to say that lines cost money to install, maintain and repair, etc. and
hence current line rental costs are fair (and yes BT and others will argue
that they lose money based on line rental alone), I think on balance...

The reality is that that is Bu***t... as I say I will give a large and
healthy spoonful of disbelief / benefit of the doubt, and accept that 50% of
current BT line rental rates might be fair / reasonable.

However, look at everywhere else in the world, and don't allow yourself to
buy into, pander to or be suckered into the "UK" X inefficiency bullpap,
where enough (half?) the population (or more) allow themselves to accept and
believe a self-fulfilling prophecy of cost, margin and profit rates that
bites everyone in the butt except those who have a vested interest. It
really is a false economy (to allow yourself to be suckered in / sell your
soul to the misguided "UK" X inefficiency camp - higher costs, lower output,
etc. and all believed as necessary / reality, etc.!). If others in the world
can do an order of magnitudes better so can we.

Further, get an accountant to have to pay the bills with the correct
incentivisation (i.e. on the right side - to optimise and make the product /
service cheap rather than expensive) and they will happily provide 20
million people in this country with a line service for equivalent rental of
5 per month. (read and note further to this / in addition to this - THESE
LINES HAVE NOT DEPRECIATED YET!). What do you think is the life of a line?
What do you think is the write down rate claimed by BT et al. against these
assets, costs and revenues? As I say ignore that, and the rest of the world
can do it, include that and any properly terms of reference instructed
accountant will conclude the same.

Best wishes,

News Reader

P.s. ... and good luck with the petition. etc.

Old May 18th 07, 07:41 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Brian Gregory [UK]

wrote in message
oups.com...
Brian when you find someone knowledgable to tell the jerks, let me
know, as i'll send them your way.

I wasn't the one who started the petition, I was simply posting it at
the request of the person who actually created the so called
"ludicrous" petition.

Actually on reflection the petition you mentioned wasn't anywhere near as
stupid as some.
BT are after all still pretty much in the position of having a monopoly in
many parts of the country so there is some justification for making them
offer the options people want.

However I feel I must point out though that much of the "line rental" does
actually cover the line (the physical wires) without which ADSL doesn't
work.

The daftest petition I've noticed recently is one to abolish locking of
mobile phones to one network.
Can the guy who started it really not know that the cost of mobile phones is
heavily subsidized by the monthly rental and/or call charges. SIM free
mobile phones have always been available but they are expensive and you
can't expect them not to be expensive because they cost a lot to make.

Old May 22nd 07, 09:49 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
PhilT

On 17 May, 23:33, wrote:

I wasn't the one who started the petition, I was simply posting it at
the request of the person who actually created the so called
"ludicrous" petition.

so you are now branded as a cross posting off-topic ****wit supporting
a crass cause.

Congratulations.

ADSL over a BT line for 20 or ADSL without paying BT for 30 would be
a real step forward, not.

Phil