line fault temporary home fix

Old May 19th 07, 12:38 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David

Default line fault temporary home fix

My phone line crackles intermittently when I lift the receiver causing
loss of sync. Repeatedly pressing the phone hook switch does not
stop the crackling, nor does making a call, but if I unplug the phone from
the master socket and reconnect, the noise will magically be gone and all
will be fine for a day or two. Can anyone suggest why this might be the case
and does it indicate a specific location for the fault?

Further information and tests I have done-
Noise occurs whether or not any adsl equipment is plugged in.
Tried other phones as well, again directly into the master socket.
It's not the master socket because when I wiggle the plug it does not
create noise when the line's ok, nor stop it when noise is present.
My router stats indicate that it is only when the phone is lifted that the
noise starts.

David

Old May 19th 07, 02:39 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Eeyore

David wrote:

My phone line crackles intermittently when I lift the receiver causing
loss of sync. Repeatedly pressing the phone hook switch does not
stop the crackling, nor does making a call, but if I unplug the phone from
the master socket and reconnect, the noise will magically be gone and all
will be fine for a day or two. Can anyone suggest why this might be the case
and does it indicate a specific location for the fault?

Further information and tests I have done-
Noise occurs whether or not any adsl equipment is plugged in.
Tried other phones as well, again directly into the master socket.
It's not the master socket because when I wiggle the plug it does not
create noise when the line's ok, nor stop it when noise is present.
My router stats indicate that it is only when the phone is lifted that the
noise starts.

Right.

Sounds like a bad connection in the line somewhere. When the handset is lifted
the voltage on the line drops and and the troublesome connection plays up since
there's less voltage to 'cut through' it.

Get BT to fix the crackling and your ADSL problem will go with it.

Graham