Filters - Quality

Old May 19th 07, 11:27 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Geoff Lane

Default Filters - Quality

When one sets up a broadband system if the internet seems to work and
you can make a phone call at the same time it is assumed the filters are OK.

What are the differences between a quality filter or perhaps a cheap one.

Geoff Lane
Old May 19th 07, 11:33 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dave Fawthrop

On Sat, 19 May 2007 11:27:09 +0100, Geoff Lane
wrote:

|!When one sets up a broadband system if the internet seems to work and
|!you can make a phone call at the same time it is assumed the filters are OK.
|!
|!What are the differences between a quality filter or perhaps a cheap one.

There is *no* relationship between quality and price of *any* item.
You fell for a marketing myth :-(
--
Dave Fawthrop sf hyphenologist.co.uk 165 *Free* SF ebooks.
165 Sci Fi books on CDROM, from Project Gutenberg

Old May 19th 07, 11:50 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Crosland

Geoff Lane wrote:
When one sets up a broadband system if the internet seems to work and
you can make a phone call at the same time it is assumed the filters
are OK.
What are the differences between a quality filter or perhaps a cheap

This would be a good place to start.

http://www.adslnation.com/support/filters.php

Of course price it not necessarily an indicator of intrinsic quality but in
a very competitive marketplace there does tend to be some correlation.

Peter Crosland

Old May 19th 07, 11:57 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Geoff Lane

Dave Fawthrop wrote:

|!When one sets up a broadband system if the internet seems to work and
|!you can make a phone call at the same time it is assumed the filters are OK.
|!
|!What are the differences between a quality filter or perhaps a cheap one.

There is *no* relationship between quality and price of *any* item.
You fell for a marketing myth :-(

I haven't fallen for anything fortunately, I bought cheap filters for
myself at about 2ukp and my daughter used a supplied with with her
linksys router.

I am inquiring attempting to resolve a quality problem (Low snr
threshold) on my daughter's line.

My own SNR and attenuation figures are good using my cheap filters.

Geoff Lane

Old May 19th 07, 11:59 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gordon Hudson

"Geoff Lane" wrote in message
When one sets up a broadband system if the internet seems to work and you
can make a phone call at the same time it is assumed the filters are OK.

What are the differences between a quality filter or perhaps a cheap one.

Geoff Lane

Try sending a fax on the "phone" side of the filter.
Bad ones will not take a fax signal properly.
Better ones will do a bit better.
The worst ones I have had were branded BT and came with a BT router.
Ideally have a seperate line for internet and no filter.

Old May 19th 07, 12:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gordon Henderson

In article ,
Geoff Lane wrote:
Dave Fawthrop wrote:

|!When one sets up a broadband system if the internet seems to work and
|!you can make a phone call at the same time it is assumed the filters are OK.
|!
|!What are the differences between a quality filter or perhaps a cheap one.

There is *no* relationship between quality and price of *any* item.
You fell for a marketing myth :-(

I haven't fallen for anything fortunately, I bought cheap filters for
myself at about 2ukp and my daughter used a supplied with with her
linksys router.

I am inquiring attempting to resolve a quality problem (Low snr
threshold) on my daughter's line.

My own SNR and attenuation figures are good using my cheap filters.

Use your filters on her line then.

However, you need to establish a "baseline" with no filters. Unplug
the front-face of her NTE5 (if you have one - this will ensure no
other phones are on the circuit) and plug the router directly into the
socket on the wall mounted part of the NTE5. If you don't have an NTE5,
then unplug all phones and filters, so the only thing plugged in is the
router. You do not need a filter for just the router, but if possible,
see if you can unwire all extensions.

That will then give you a baseline to work with. Then you can start
adding filters/phones to see if it makes any difference.

But before you start, it's worthwhile going to the SamKnows site to
work out just how far she is from the exchange so you'll get an idea of
what the max. speeds are going to be anyway.

Gordon
Old May 19th 07, 02:22 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Eeyore

Geoff Lane wrote:

When one sets up a broadband system if the internet seems to work and
you can make a phone call at the same time it is assumed the filters are OK.

What are the differences between a quality filter or perhaps a cheap one.

Almost none of value. Not least because the ADSL signal goes straight hrough the
filter. The filter's job is primarily to stop nasy noises on the phone. Peter
Crosland will however bamboozle you with all manner of old wives' tales about
them.

I had a weak connection like the one you've posted about and swapping filters (
I had 3 types) helped not one jot !

Removing the bell wire (number 3 in the socket) to any extension sockets may
help though. It creates imbalance in the ADSL signal. In fact in your case I'd
be confident it would help but it's a bodge not a cure.

Graham

Old May 19th 07, 02:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Eeyore

Geoff Lane wrote:

Dave Fawthrop wrote:

|!When one sets up a broadband system if the internet seems to work and
|!you can make a phone call at the same time it is assumed the filters are OK.
|!
|!What are the differences between a quality filter or perhaps a cheap one.

There is *no* relationship between quality and price of *any* item.
You fell for a marketing myth :-(

I haven't fallen for anything fortunately, I bought cheap filters for
myself at about 2ukp and my daughter used a supplied with with her
linksys router.

They worked fine for me.

I am inquiring attempting to resolve a quality problem (Low snr
threshold) on my daughter's line.

My own SNR and attenuation figures are good using my cheap filters.

The filter won't affect those figures.

Graham

Old May 19th 07, 02:26 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Eeyore

Gordon Henderson wrote:

However, you need to establish a "baseline" with no filters.

100% correct. If you have problems with that then the most expensive filter in the
world can't help you.

Graham

Old May 19th 07, 06:21 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Crosland

Geoff Lane wrote:
Dave Fawthrop wrote:

!When one sets up a broadband system if the internet seems to work
and !you can make a phone call at the same time it is assumed the
filters are OK. !
!What are the differences between a quality filter or perhaps a
cheap one.

There is *no* relationship between quality and price of *any* item.
You fell for a marketing myth :-(

I haven't fallen for anything fortunately, I bought cheap filters for
myself at about 2ukp and my daughter used a supplied with with her
linksys router.

I am inquiring attempting to resolve a quality problem (Low snr
threshold) on my daughter's line.

My own SNR and attenuation figures are good using my cheap filters.

You seem to have assumed that the filters are the problem before checking
other things. SNR and attenuation are largely a function of distance from
the exchange. If the line has an NTE5 faceplate try plugging the
modem/router directly into the test socket that is accessible with the
faceplate removed. That will give you a starting point to see how the line
performs.

Peter Crosland