Multiple Static IP Addresses

Old May 19th 07, 12:07 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Geoff Lane

Default Multiple Static IP Addresses

I have always had a dynamic IP address assigned, a relative's ISP offers
up to eight static IP addresses free.

I understand the use of a static IP address over a dynamic but what
would one account holder use more than one IP address for.

Geoff Lane
Old May 19th 07, 12:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Paul Cupis

Geoff Lane wrote:
I have always had a dynamic IP address assigned, a relative's ISP offers
up to eight static IP addresses free.

I understand the use of a static IP address over a dynamic but what
would one account holder use more than one IP address for.

They might want multiple machines to be individually addressable from
the internet without using any sort of NAT. For example, if they are
running any servers (mail, web etc) and/or want to be able to remotely
access the machines (ssh, RDP, VNC etc).
Old May 19th 07, 12:21 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Alastair

"Geoff Lane" wrote in message
I have always had a dynamic IP address assigned, a relative's ISP offers up
to eight static IP addresses free.

I understand the use of a static IP address over a dynamic but what would
one account holder use more than one IP address for.

We use or support for others many ADSL accounts with 32 or 64 static
IPs. We use them for multiple servers, remote support direct to PCs etc.

Old May 19th 07, 07:05 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Geoff Lane

Geoff Lane wrote:
I have always had a dynamic IP address assigned, a relative's ISP offers
up to eight static IP addresses free.

I understand the use of a static IP address over a dynamic but what
would one account holder use more than one IP address for.

Thanks for explanations, strange that Eclipse offer up to 8 static IP
addresses free and that is on the cheapest option.

Geoff Lane
Old May 19th 07, 07:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Alastair

"Geoff Lane" wrote in message
Geoff Lane wrote:
I have always had a dynamic IP address assigned, a relative's ISP offers
up to eight static IP addresses free.

I understand the use of a static IP address over a dynamic but what would
one account holder use more than one IP address for.

Thanks for explanations, strange that Eclipse offer up to 8 static IP
addresses free and that is on the cheapest option.

IPs don't cost the ISP anything - AAISP will give you as many IPs
as you can justify to RIPE.

Old May 19th 07, 08:28 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ivor Jones

"Geoff Lane" wrote in message

I have always had a dynamic IP address assigned, a
relative's ISP offers up to eight static IP addresses
free.
I understand the use of a static IP address over a
dynamic but what would one account holder use more than
one IP address for.

Any number of things, multiple VoIP ATA's spring to mind. Could do with
half a dozen myself come to think of it.

Ivor

Old May 20th 07, 01:51 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Richard Tobin

In article ,
Paul Cupis wrote:

I understand the use of a static IP address over a dynamic but what
would one account holder use more than one IP address for.

They might want multiple machines to be individually addressable from
the internet without using any sort of NAT.

Or with NAT, especially if you have more machines than addresses but
only need some of them to be externally addressable.

This is konwn as multi-NAT, and doesn't work on my $*%[email protected]$%* Speedtouch
510v4 router even though it's supposed to.

-- Richard
in some alphabets" - X3.4, 1963.
Old May 20th 07, 03:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
NoNeedToKnow

On 19 May 2007, "Alastair" wrote:

IPs don't cost the ISP anything - AAISP will give you as many IPs
as you can justify to RIPE.

I can understand a once-only Admin fee of a few pounds but was quite
surprised to see some ISPs charge monthly or have a hefty (80 pounds)
fee for having multiple IPs. Eclipse seems to handle it in quite a
straightforward way (I can switch from a fixed to dynamic on demand,
switch back to another fixed IP, or request multiple IPs).
Old May 20th 07, 05:17 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andrew Gabriel

In article ,
Geoff Lane writes:
I have always had a dynamic IP address assigned, a relative's ISP offers
up to eight static IP addresses free.

I understand the use of a static IP address over a dynamic but what
would one account holder use more than one IP address for.

I've setup the networks for various family members in different
countries. My parents' setup is probably the most complex.
They have a VoIP phone (1 static IP) which is used to contact
the rest of the family, and a networked photo printer (1 static
IP) which rest of the family can print to remotely and provides
a great way of instantly sending them a picture of a grandchild
without mum having to fiddle around with a computer. Since they
are usually one of the parties involved in family VoIP calls, I
host the family SIP server on their network (1 static IP). More
recently, some family members have joined in our VoIP network
from NAT'ed ISP's, so they also host an STUN server (2 static
IP's, although one is shared with the SIP server).

--
Andrew Gabriel
Old May 20th 07, 09:05 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
alexd

NoNeedToKnow wrote:

On 19 May 2007, "Alastair" wrote:

IPs don't cost the ISP anything - AAISP will give you as many IPs
as you can justify to RIPE.

I can understand a once-only Admin fee of a few pounds but was quite
surprised to see some ISPs charge monthly or have a hefty (80 pounds)
fee for having multiple IPs.

What's surprising about ISPs charging their customers for something that
they find useful/indispensable?

--
http://ale.cx/ (AIM:troffasky) )
21:03:07 up 21 days, 23:03, 2 users, load average: 0.27, 0.22, 0.15