Sky results

Old May 19th 07, 02:56 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gordon Hudson

Default Sky results

I finally got Sky enabled on my other phone line.

The old line is ADSL Max and is giving me 2.5MB
The new line is ADSL2 and is giving me 5.5MB

The router installed no problem although it seemed to take a long time to
connect.
I have not bothered running the CD that came with it as its working without
installing anything.

At £10 per month its a bargain (as long as it stays reasonably reliable)!
If it works out I will get rid of the other connection.

Old May 19th 07, 04:13 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gaz

Gordon Hudson wrote:
I finally got Sky enabled on my other phone line.

The old line is ADSL Max and is giving me 2.5MB
The new line is ADSL2 and is giving me 5.5MB

The router installed no problem although it seemed to take a long time to
connect.
I have not bothered running the CD that came with it as its working
without
installing anything.

At £10 per month its a bargain (as long as it stays reasonably reliable)!
If it works out I will get rid of the other connection.

I have been downloading **** loads, at a fantastic stable rate. Best ISP I
have ever dealt with so far (though like you, I wonder how well it will be
when their infrastructure is maxed out).

Gaz

Old May 19th 07, 04:56 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gordon Hudson

"Gaz" wrote in message
Gordon Hudson wrote:
I finally got Sky enabled on my other phone line.

The old line is ADSL Max and is giving me 2.5MB
The new line is ADSL2 and is giving me 5.5MB

The router installed no problem although it seemed to take a long time to
connect.
I have not bothered running the CD that came with it as its working
without
installing anything.

At £10 per month its a bargain (as long as it stays reasonably reliable)!
If it works out I will get rid of the other connection.

I have been downloading **** loads, at a fantastic stable rate. Best ISP I
have ever dealt with so far (though like you, I wonder how well it will be
when their infrastructure is maxed out).

My wireless went very unstable for a while this afternoon.
I have to use wireless to reach one of the PC's and I was putting a new card
in it.
Its working fine now (touch wood).
Its a Belkin PCI card I got free from my sister as she didn't need it.
I found that I had to tell its software to use Windows to configure the
connection or it was not negotiating properly and cutting in and out.

Sky used to be Easynet so they should be OK.
Even on the wireless I am getting 2.5MB download and 750k upload.
Its remarkable given the state of our phone line and the even poorer
standard ADSL results.

Old May 19th 07, 05:14 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
James Luff

Gordon Hudson wrote:
I finally got Sky enabled on my other phone line.

The old line is ADSL Max and is giving me 2.5MB
The new line is ADSL2 and is giving me 5.5MB

The router installed no problem although it seemed to take a long time to
connect.
I have not bothered running the CD that came with it as its working without
installing anything.

At £10 per month its a bargain (as long as it stays reasonably reliable)!
If it works out I will get rid of the other connection.

I'm due to switch to the Sky Max 16Mb package next week, currently
waiting for the router to be delivered. It will be interesting to see
what speeds I can get, I get a full 2Mb on my 2Mb connection with Pipex
at the moment. I've been told I should be able to get around 14Mb but I
remain sceptical of that. Any speed improvement will be welcomed as it's
costing less than half of what I am paying now

What will be more interesting is to see how the service copes with the
huge increase in customer demand as more Sky customers switch over. The
deal is extremely good at the moment, one of the reasons for my move.
Though the debacle with Pipex is another major factor, but that's been
documented in a previous thread on this forum if you want to look it up.
If after 12 months they are struggling I'll simply move supplier
again, hopefully it won't be so bad as to become unusable in that time.

--
regards, James Luff Gamertag: Lufferov
remove 'nospam' to e-mail
Old May 19th 07, 08:20 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Colin Wilson

The router installed no problem although it seemed to take a long time to
connect.

The connections can take a while, and the authentication longer still
for some reason, but once it's up, you don't usually hit the problem
again.

....unless you reboot the router to see what connection speed you get,
or because the line stats have reached a point where the connection
drops naturally (3-4dB IME)
Old May 19th 07, 10:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter

On Sat, 19 May 2007 14:56:13 +0100, "Gordon Hudson"
wrote:

I finally got Sky enabled on my other phone line.

The old line is ADSL Max and is giving me 2.5MB
The new line is ADSL2 and is giving me 5.5MB

The router installed no problem although it seemed to take a long time to
connect.
I have not bothered running the CD that came with it as its working without
installing anything.

At £10 per month its a bargain (as long as it stays reasonably reliable)!
If it works out I will get rid of the other connection.

I agree, excellent service, good download speeds and a reliable
connection

However, my router failed last Sunday - no little "i" light
villuminated - the one above to number 1.

I have now discovered that their customer service is abysmal - It
transpires that the replacment router I have been told on a number of
occasions had been dispatched on Moday hadn't. The hoops I've had to
get through to have the router dispatched really is unbelievable - it
will now, allegedly, arrive by Wenesday.

We shall see - any more crap and I shall find another ISP
--
Cheers

Peter

Please remove the invalid to reply
Old May 20th 07, 01:24 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
James Egan

On Sat, 19 May 2007 22:31:55 +0100, Peter
wrote:

I have now discovered that their customer service is abysmal - It
transpires that the replacment router I have been told on a number of
occasions had been dispatched on Moday hadn't. The hoops I've had to
get through to have the router dispatched really is unbelievable - it
will now, allegedly, arrive by Wenesday.

We shall see - any more crap and I shall find another ISP

If you have an old router available which you maybe used prior to
moving onto sky broadband, it will be worthwhile configuring it as a
contingency measure for times like these.

You can get details from various places on
http://www.skyuser.co.uk

A description of how to find your logon username and password from the
netgear router is described here
http://www.asininemonkey.com/netgear...#URL_Injection

Someone has made a web interface to get the required information
(among other things) here
http://dg834gt.mognuts.com/NetgearRouterUtility.html

Apart from your pppoa username and password, the other configuration
requirements are

Encapsulation is PPPoA
VPI/VCI is 0/38
Multiplexing is VC

You don't need to spoof the mac address of the netgear router or
anything like that.

However, it should also be pointed out that using an alternative
router is a breach of sky's terms and conditions so I would only do it
as an emergency measure until the free replacement router arrives.

Jim.

Old May 20th 07, 08:22 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kráftéé

Colin Wilson wrote:
The router installed no problem although it seemed to take a long
time to connect.

The connections can take a while, and the authentication longer
still for some reason, but once it's up, you don't usually hit the
problem again.

...unless you reboot the router to see what connection speed you
get, or because the line stats have reached a point where the
connection drops naturally (3-4dB IME)

Mine never has it just freezes & I have to manually reboot at that
point. Mind you after a few days you soon learn what is the fastest
stable speed & what time of day you need to reboot to get it so it's
no sweat....unless you've got a wife like mine who switches everything
off if going away over night (let alone a few days) & then you have to
go thru the process again when you get back. I know I should stand up
to her but she's got a good strong kick when she needs it ;-)