Off/peak hours

Old May 20th 07, 08:24 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bypass

Default Off/peak hours

Hi Group

I'm currently with an entanet reseller and peak hours run from 8am to
10pm weekdays. Is anyone with a provider that is more 'generous' or
relaxed with their peak hours, say 6pm to 10pm or midnight?
Old May 20th 07, 08:51 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham Murray

Bypass writes:

I'm currently with an entanet reseller and peak hours run from 8am to
10pm weekdays. Is anyone with a provider that is more 'generous' or
relaxed with their peak hours, say 6pm to 10pm or midnight?

AAISP's peak hours are from 8am to 6pm
Old May 20th 07, 10:49 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Muxton

On Sun, 20 May 2007 08:24:10 +0100, Bypass wrote:

Hi Group

I'm currently with an entanet reseller and peak hours run from 8am to
10pm weekdays. Is anyone with a provider that is more 'generous' or
relaxed with their peak hours, say 6pm to 10pm or midnight?

Entanet's office package peak hours are 8am-8pm Mon-Fri, you would
gain an extra 10 hours off-peak time by moving to one of those.

Plus you get a faster upload speed (up to approx. 800Kbps).

Plus you gain 15GB peak allowance if you move to the 45GB package
(which still features 300GB off-peak), which costs around 29.38 inc.
VAT.

Ask your reseller if interested.
--
Address munged but valid - remove mungbeans.
Old May 20th 07, 01:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
devs

In message , Muxton
writes
On Sun, 20 May 2007 08:24:10 +0100, Bypass wrote:

Hi Group

I'm currently with an entanet reseller and peak hours run from 8am to
10pm weekdays. Is anyone with a provider that is more 'generous' or
relaxed with their peak hours, say 6pm to 10pm or midnight?

Entanet's office package peak hours are 8am-8pm Mon-Fri, you would
gain an extra 10 hours off-peak time by moving to one of those.

Plus you get a faster upload speed (up to approx. 800Kbps).

Plus you gain 15GB peak allowance if you move to the 45GB package
(which still features 300GB off-peak), which costs around 29.38 inc.
VAT.

Ask your reseller if interested.

Are these entanet offerings any good then? I am very tempted to jump
ship to them at the moment. The home offering looks too good to be true
at the price (19.99) so I am tempted to go for the 45Gb business product
that you mention. I get the feeling that the every customer will be
maxing out their unrestricted connections come off peak time. Surely it
must slow it down some?
--
Devs
"Punchdown Pete the old Kroner"
Old May 20th 07, 02:00 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bypass

Devs wrote:

Are these entanet offerings any good then? I am very tempted to jump
ship to them at the moment. The home offering looks too good to be true
at the price (19.99) so I am tempted to go for the 45Gb business product
that you mention. I get the feeling that the every customer will be
maxing out their unrestricted connections come off peak time. Surely it
must slow it down some?

I'm currently with ADSL24 and as far as I'm concerned the quality of
service and customer support (should you need it) is second to none. I
don't think I've had to wait more than an hour for an email response.

I generally achieve a 7-8 KB/s download speed at peak times, which can
drop to 2KB/s at the off peak watershed at 10pm weekdays and during
certain times over the weekend. Right now, at 2pm Sunday afternoon, my
download speed is fluctuating between 2 and 5 KB/s
Old May 20th 07, 02:29 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
devs

In message , Bypass
writes
Devs wrote:

Are these entanet offerings any good then? I am very tempted to jump
ship to them at the moment. The home offering looks too good to be
true at the price (19.99) so I am tempted to go for the 45Gb business
product that you mention. I get the feeling that the every customer
will be maxing out their unrestricted connections come off peak time.
Surely it must slow it down some?

I'm currently with ADSL24 and as far as I'm concerned the quality of
service and customer support (should you need it) is second to none. I
don't think I've had to wait more than an hour for an email response.

I generally achieve a 7-8 KB/s download speed at peak times, which can
drop to 2KB/s at the off peak watershed at 10pm weekdays and during
certain times over the weekend. Right now, at 2pm Sunday afternoon, my
download speed is fluctuating between 2 and 5 KB/s

Are you on a home or business package?
Old May 20th 07, 02:58 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
NoNeedToKnow

On 20 May 2007, Graham Murray wrote:

Bypass writes:

I'm currently with an entanet reseller and peak hours run from 8am to
10pm weekdays. Is anyone with a provider that is more 'generous' or
relaxed with their peak hours, say 6pm to 10pm or midnight?

AAISP's peak hours are from 8am to 6pm

How is that getting close to the evening hours only? Eclipse has its
peak hours as 1800-0000. One or two ISPs just don't limit downloads
off-peak (Claranet's service only runs off-peak so allows downloading
1800-0800 Mon-Fri and all weekend without any quota restrictions).
Old May 20th 07, 03:04 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Kit

In article , Bypass
wrote:

I generally achieve a 7-8 KB/s download speed at peak times, which can
drop to 2KB/s at the off peak watershed at 10pm weekdays and during
certain times over the weekend. Right now, at 2pm Sunday afternoon, my
download speed is fluctuating between 2 and 5 KB/s

Not a direct response to the above quote, but thoughts triggered by it.

In my naivete I imagined that 'peak' times meant that these times were
busiest. Yet the fact that download rates decrease during 'off-peak'
times would indicate that those times are actually busier than peak
times.

I always thought that the different off-peak/peak charges were to
encourage usage to be spread more evenly during the day to take the
strain off the system at the busiest times. So if off-peak times are
now busier (slower downloads) than peak times surely this attempt to
spread things evenly has gone to far in the opposite direction.

Also, different ISPs give different hours for 'peak' times, although I
would have thought that all the bigger ISPs would probably have the
busiest times at similar parts of the day. The peak times are not
always just the standard business hours, so it doesn't seem they are
trying to improve performance for businesses.

So what exactly is the point of ISPs having 'peak times' and how do
they decide on what hours of the day are 'peak'?

Kit
Old May 20th 07, 03:14 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bypass

Devs wrote:

Are you on a home or business package?

Home 30 (30GB peak and 300 GB off peak). Obviously I don't know what
you're looking for in an ISP, but I take it you know they do text
newsgroups only?
Old May 20th 07, 03:17 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham Murray

NoNeedToKnow writes:

On 20 May 2007, Graham Murray wrote:
AAISP's peak hours are from 8am to 6pm

How is that getting close to the evening hours only?

It is not, but it is 6 hours less than the 8am to midnight peak that the
OP currently 'enjoys'. It makes the evening off-peak, so downloads are
unrestricted during the evening and at weekends when most non-business
users want to use their ADSL connection.