Sky and Usenet

Old May 20th 07, 09:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
James Luff

Default Sky and Usenet

Do Sky have an nntp server for Usenet access? I'm switch over this week
and don't want to lose access to newsgroups. If not I'll have to
subscribe to another service, but I want to get it sorted before the
switch over takes place.

--
regards, James Luff Gamertag: Lufferov
remove 'nospam' to e-mail
Old May 20th 07, 09:40 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
{{{{{Welcome}}}}}

James Luff wrote:
Do Sky have an nntp server for Usenet access? I'm switch over this
week and don't want to lose access to newsgroups. If not I'll have to
subscribe to another service, but I want to get it sorted before the
switch over takes place.

No Usenet.

You could try: http://www.albasani.net which is free.

http://www.motzarella.org which is also free.

http://news.individual.net €10 (Ten Euro) per year.

Was you also interested in binaries or just text?

http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/MovetoMetric

Old May 20th 07, 09:43 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
James Luff

{{{{{Welcome}}}}} wrote:
James Luff wrote:
Do Sky have an nntp server for Usenet access? I'm switch over this
week and don't want to lose access to newsgroups. If not I'll have to
subscribe to another service, but I want to get it sorted before the
switch over takes place.

No Usenet.

You could try: http://www.albasani.net which is free.

http://www.motzarella.org which is also free.

http://news.individual.net €10 (Ten Euro) per year.

Was you also interested in binaries or just text?

Just text, I'll go to news.individual.net I know of lots of people who
use that service and are very pleased with it.

Old May 21st 07, 01:07 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
James Luff

{{{{{Welcome}}}}} wrote:
James Luff wrote:
Do Sky have an nntp server for Usenet access? I'm switch over this
week and don't want to lose access to newsgroups. If not I'll have to
subscribe to another service, but I want to get it sorted before the
switch over takes place.

No Usenet.

You could try: http://www.albasani.net which is free.

http://www.motzarella.org which is also free.

http://news.individual.net €10 (Ten Euro) per year.

Was you also interested in binaries or just text?

Hmmm, just noticed the other two are free... anyone use them care to
post experiences? individual.net is cheap, but why pay if a free one is
available that's just as good?

Might try motzarella first and see how it goes, can always go to
individual.net later, it won't hurt to try. Unless others have tried
them before and not had a feed.

Old May 21st 07, 01:18 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
{{{{{Welcome}}}}}

James Luff wrote:
{{{{{Welcome}}}}} wrote:
James Luff wrote:
Do Sky have an nntp server for Usenet access? I'm switch over this
week and don't want to lose access to newsgroups. If not I'll have
to subscribe to another service, but I want to get it sorted before
the switch over takes place.

No Usenet.

You could try: http://www.albasani.net which is free.

http://www.motzarella.org which is also free.

http://news.individual.net €10 (Ten Euro) per year.

Was you also interested in binaries or just text?

Hmmm, just noticed the other two are free... anyone use them care to
post experiences? individual.net is cheap, but why pay if a free one
is available that's just as good?

Might try motzarella first and see how it goes, can always go to
individual.net later, it won't hurt to try. Unless others have tried
them before and not had a feed.

I've used both of the free ones, I still keep albasani.net for use of
groups not available to me via VirginMedia.

My first reply to you was through albasani.net so you could see there
were no adverts appended to the post by albasini themselves.

I've used Individual in the past too when I was on Pipex as Pipex
usegroup access was slow and I was only using it for text.

Old May 21st 07, 01:18 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Lurch

On Mon, 21 May 2007 00:07:19 +0100, James Luff
mused:

{{{{{Welcome}}}}} wrote:
James Luff wrote:
Do Sky have an nntp server for Usenet access? I'm switch over this
week and don't want to lose access to newsgroups. If not I'll have to
subscribe to another service, but I want to get it sorted before the
switch over takes place.

No Usenet.

You could try: http://www.albasani.net which is free.

http://www.motzarella.org which is also free.

http://news.individual.net 10 (Ten Euro) per year.

Was you also interested in binaries or just text?

Hmmm, just noticed the other two are free... anyone use them care to
post experiences? individual.net is cheap, but why pay if a free one is
available that's just as good?

Might try motzarella first and see how it goes, can always go to
individual.net later, it won't hurt to try. Unless others have tried
them before and not had a feed.

The free ones are crap. I will get around to using the NIN server
soon. I used to use the Pipex text server but then ditched them as an
ISP so temporarily dropped onto aioe which frequently drops out and is
often not availabel\doesn't connect for several minutes at a time and
also limits posts per IP so I have to reboot the router from time to
time to be able to post some more, so I switched to Motzarella which
has no spam filters on their end so it kindly downloaded all the spam
that aioe and Pipex had kept out of my newsreader for me.

Basically, the free one's are OKish, but they really are crap compared
to indiviual.net.
--
Regards,
Stuart.
Old May 21st 07, 01:57 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
{{{{{Welcome}}}}}

{{{{{Welcome}}}}} wrote:
James Luff wrote:
[...]

indiviual.net is very good, but then I've found albasani.net to be very
good too, certainly worth checking out first.

http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/MovetoMetric

Old May 21st 07, 02:02 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Lurch

On Sun, 20 May 2007 23:57:22 GMT, "{{{{{Welcome}}}}}"
mused:

{{{{{Welcome}}}}} wrote:
James Luff wrote:
[...]

Worth a go on that then, I'll see what happens.
--
Regards,
Stuart.
Old May 21st 07, 05:59 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
NoNeedToKnow

On 21 May 2007, James Luff wrote:

http://www.motzarella.org which is also free.

Hmmm, just noticed the other two are free... anyone use them care to
post experiences? individual.net is cheap, but why pay if a free one is
available that's just as good?

Might try motzarella first and see how it goes, can always go to
individual.net later, it won't hurt to try. Unless others have tried
them before and not had a feed.

Motz works well (I've been using Usenet for at least 15 years, with Motz for
the last 6 to 8, and no problems). Compares with all the other services I
have used (Giganews, Clara, Freeserve, Astraweb, APN, and a couple more at
least). I've used TeraNews in the past but I stopped when they started
appending an advert sig. I still use some commercial (paid-for) services,
but for binaries. Giganews is through my ISP, but I want to be able to use
news without worrying which connection (2 ISPs in use here) my PC is using.
Old May 21st 07, 10:19 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

"James Luff" wrote in message

Hmmm, just noticed the other two are free... anyone use them care to post
experiences? individual.net is cheap, but why pay if a free one is
available that's just as good?

This one is also free..

http://www.datemas.de/news/

It works well but there is a notice about posting being temporarily
suspended... if so this won't arrive BTW.