Virgin ADSL speeds North Scotland

Old June 3rd 07, 03:43 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Paddy

Default Virgin ADSL speeds North Scotland

I have a configured throuput of 7000kbps and usually got between 5500 and
6100kbps early mornings soon falling as low as 150kbps. Just checked it at
1543 and download around 3900kbps, this was normally a very bad time on a
Sunday.

Anybody know the reason and is it likely to last?

Old June 3rd 07, 04:08 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Paul Cupis

Paddy wrote:
I have a configured throuput of 7000kbps and usually got between 5500 and
6100kbps early mornings soon falling as low as 150kbps. Just checked it at
1543 and download around 3900kbps, this was normally a very bad time on a
Sunday.

Anybody know the reason and is it likely to last?

Probably just congestion/contention. It would not surprise me if it
lasted, as this is how the product is designed to work. You cannot
expect to get "full" speeds 24/7.
Old June 3rd 07, 04:48 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Paddy

"Paul Cupis" wrote in message
Paddy wrote:
I have a configured throuput of 7000kbps and usually got between 5500 and
6100kbps early mornings soon falling as low as 150kbps. Just checked it
at 1543 and download around 3900kbps, this was normally a very bad time
on a Sunday.

Anybody know the reason and is it likely to last?

Probably just congestion/contention. It would not surprise me if it
lasted, as this is how the product is designed to work. You cannot expect
to get "full" speeds 24/7.

So is it normal to get between 150kbps and 400kbps most of the time and I
have just been lucky the last week? I understood that it shouldn't get so
low and still be classed as broadband.
Paddy

Old June 3rd 07, 06:22 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
andy

"Paddy" wrote in message
news

"Paul Cupis" wrote in message
Paddy wrote:
I have a configured throuput of 7000kbps and usually got between 5500
and 6100kbps early mornings soon falling as low as 150kbps. Just checked
it at 1543 and download around 3900kbps, this was normally a very bad
time on a Sunday.

Anybody know the reason and is it likely to last?

Probably just congestion/contention. It would not surprise me if it
lasted, as this is how the product is designed to work. You cannot expect
to get "full" speeds 24/7.

So is it normal to get between 150kbps and 400kbps most of the time and I
have just been lucky the last week? I understood that it shouldn't get so
low and still be classed as broadband.
Paddy

It's faulty and unacceptable - report them to www.ispa.org.uk if you do not
get a satisfactory answer.

Old June 4th 07, 11:58 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
diy-newby

Probably just congestion/contention. It would not surprise me if it
lasted, as this is how the product is designed to work. You cannot expect
to get "full" speeds 24/7.

Why not, you do with Sky! Another reason to dump Virgin.

Old June 4th 07, 01:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Paddy

"diy-newby" wrote in message

Probably just congestion/contention. It would not surprise me if it
lasted, as this is how the product is designed to work. You cannot expect
to get "full" speeds 24/7.

Why not, you do with Sky! Another reason to dump Virgin.

That is one alternative I am looking at come November when my 12 month
contract is up. I also have to sort out an old pal who is in his 80's.
Swapped from Sky to Virgin (cable) when they told him it was far better. As
he is mainly into watching films he has not been happy with the service
though I don't know what his internet speeds are as I only get chance to
check his setup when I go South for holidays. I think I will have to get him
put back to Sky..