Linksys SPA3102 FXO in Problems

Old June 4th 07, 12:40 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Brian A

Default Linksys SPA3102 FXO in Problems

On Sat, 02 Jun 2007 16:40:54 GMT, ChipMonk
wrote:

Iím sorry but I donít understand the question, or its relevance if you
mean PC OS.
As additional info, I have noticed that the Line Voltage (under
Voice/Info) fluctuates randomly between ca. -11 and +11V and always
shows Hook State: on. This doesnít seem right to me! Anyone else on
the NTL PSTN see anything like this? What should it be?
ChipMonk

The PSTN line voltage is usually about 50V (can obviously vary a bit)
but, from my experience, can vary quite a lot on a cable line.
On the 'INFO' tab, under PSTN, it shows the line voltage. I assume
that is where you are checking. The voltage shown shouldn't fluctuate
as you refresh the page.
Just yesterday I was setting up a 3102 for a friend on a Telewest area
line. Amongst other problems I found that the line voltage, indicated
by the web interface, was showing low and was fluctuating on page
refresh. I replaced the lead and there were no further problems. A
connecting lead, normally attached to a phone, is not suitable for
conecting the PSTN line to the ATA. We did find, however, that a modem
lead worked well. All I am suggesting here is that you change the lead
from the PSTN to the ATA, it could be something as simple as that
which is causing the problem for you.

Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.

Sign petition to get High Definition TV via Freeview.
Ofcom want to aution off the spectrum needed for Hi Def
TV.
Old June 6th 07, 08:24 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Brian A

On Wed, 06 Jun 2007 13:24:47 GMT, ChipMonk
wrote:

On Mon, 04 Jun 2007 11:40:53 GMT, Brian A
wrote:

[...]

Thank you so much Brian A - problem solved after a PSTN to FX0 Line In
cable change. The irony is that I was aware of this potential problem
and had strictly used an old modem cable from the offset - but
obviously not all modem cables are equal either! Perhaps the one I
originally used was from a pre-voice modem and that caused the
problem. Who knows! Anyway, swapping for a more recent modem cable and
suddenly Line in voltage stabilised at -41V and the damned thing
works. You have made my day.

Many thanks

Chip
ChipMonk

Thanks for your comments. I'm pleased to have been of help.
Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.

Sign petition to get High Definition TV via Freeview.
Ofcom want to auction off the spectrum needed for Hi Def
TV.