Asterisk with Gradwell numbers and ADSL2?

Old June 5th 07, 02:21 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Adrian

Default Asterisk with Gradwell numbers and ADSL2?

All,

Anybody got any experience of the reliability or otherwise of ADSL2 LLU
(specifically a Be Pro connection guesstimated at around 14Mbit) for
running Gradwell numbers to an Asterisk server?

We've been having success over an NTL/VM cable, but are about to move
offices - and the question is ADSLMax or ADSL2.

Ta!
Old June 5th 07, 05:15 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Tim

Adrian wrote:

Anybody got any experience of the reliability or otherwise of ADSL2 LLU
(specifically a Be Pro connection guesstimated at around 14Mbit) for
running Gradwell numbers to an Asterisk server?

We've been having success over an NTL/VM cable, but are about to move
offices - and the question is ADSLMax or ADSL2.

Well, we use Asterisk with numbers from Gradwell on an ADSLMax line and
it is very very stable.

I've also been thinking about Be because they have recently gone live in
our local exchange.

I wouldn't use it as my primary line for voip - just use for faster web
access for staff.

What I really object to with Be though, is that it would appear that you
still have to have a BT voiceline for their LLU offering. I really
don't want to pay BT for any line rental.

Before I used a Be line for VoIP, I'd put a router on the line and run
smokeping against it for a few weeks to check for any likely problems.

Tim
Old June 5th 07, 06:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
alexd

Tim wrote:

I've also been thinking about Be because they have recently gone live in
our local exchange.

I wouldn't use it as my primary line for voip - just use for faster web
access for staff.

What I really object to with Be though, is that it would appear that you
still have to have a BT voiceline for their LLU offering. I really
don't want to pay BT for any line rental.

So who would you propose to pay your line rental for you? The Line Rental
Fairy, perhaps?

--
http://ale.cx/ (AIM:troffasky) )
18:32:19 up 37 days, 20:33, 2 users, load average: 0.51, 0.51, 0.41

Old June 5th 07, 07:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Tim

alexd wrote:
So who would you propose to pay your line rental for you? The Line Rental
Fairy, perhaps?

I'd expect 1 bill from Be. For line rental and ADSL.

I don't want a BT voice circuit. I don't mind paying Be for line rental
to cover it.

Tim
Old June 5th 07, 08:42 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Adrian

Tim ) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were
saying :

So who would you propose to pay your line rental for you? The Line
Rental Fairy, perhaps?

I'd expect 1 bill from Be. For line rental and ADSL.

I don't want a BT voice circuit. I don't mind paying Be for line
rental to cover it.

Have to admit, that one surprised me, too - bit of a hidden extra.

Hiho. We're decided, anyway. ADSL2 from Cerberus Networks.

WTF, let's live dangerously...
Old June 5th 07, 09:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Tim

Adrian wrote:
Have to admit, that one surprised me, too - bit of a hidden extra.

Hiho. We're decided, anyway. ADSL2 from Cerberus Networks.

When you have it installed, if you want to let me know the router IP
(privately) I can add it to my Smokeping to see how the line performs in
terms of packet loss and latency variation.

Tim
Old June 5th 07, 09:41 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Adrian

Tim ) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were
saying :

Have to admit, that one surprised me, too - bit of a hidden extra.

Hiho. We're decided, anyway. ADSL2 from Cerberus Networks.

When you have it installed, if you want to let me know the router IP
(privately) I can add it to my Smokeping to see how the line performs in
terms of packet loss and latency variation.

Cheers. eMail is valid, I presume?
Old June 6th 07, 05:56 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
News Reader

"Adrian" wrote in message
. 245.131...
All,

Anybody got any experience of the reliability or otherwise of ADSL2 LLU
(specifically a Be Pro connection guesstimated at around 14Mbit) for
running Gradwell numbers to an Asterisk server?

We've been having success over an NTL/VM cable, but are about to move
offices - and the question is ADSLMax or ADSL2.

Ta!

Hi,

Presumably that is business NTL cable service?

Thanks in advance.

Best wishes,

News Reader

Old June 7th 07, 01:13 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
PhilT

On 5 Jun, 19:16, Tim wrote:
alexd wrote:
So who would you propose to pay your line rental for you? The Line Rental
Fairy, perhaps?

I'd expect 1 bill from Be. For line rental and ADSL.

I don't want a BT voice circuit. I don't mind paying Be for line rental
to cover it.

Be could do this if they wanted, though you wouldn't save much if
anything - they could use Wholesale line rental and leave you with BT
dial tone or go for full unbundling of the lines and have you
exclusively connect to them.

Phil

Old June 7th 07, 05:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Tim

PhilT wrote:
Be could do this if they wanted, though you wouldn't save much if
anything - they could use Wholesale line rental and leave you with BT
dial tone or go for full unbundling of the lines and have you
exclusively connect to them.

I don't care if it doesn't save anything. I just don't want a BT bill.

Tim