bri / sip gateway

Old June 8th 07, 08:08 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Cardiff IT Support Ltd

Default bri / sip gateway

hi,

i have to do an asterisk install for a client with 2 x ISDN2e lines.

rather than put ISDN cards in the PC, I wanted to use a 2 port bri / sip
gateway.

does anyone have any experiences? recommended products? I was considering
mediatrix 4402 but i recently read that their tech support is bad which put
me off.

any assistance appreciated.

Old June 8th 07, 11:42 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Gordon Henderson

In article ,
Cardiff IT Support Ltd wrote:
hi,

i have to do an asterisk install for a client with 2 x ISDN2e lines.

rather than put ISDN cards in the PC, I wanted to use a 2 port bri / sip
gateway.

Why not PCI cards in the PC?

I did an install with one of these recently:

http://www.asteriskcards.eu/webstore/beronet_bn2s0.php

375 euroblobs though, but it was delivered quickly and installation was
fairly straightforward.

does anyone have any experiences? recommended products? I was considering
mediatrix 4402 but i recently read that their tech support is bad which put
me off.

any assistance appreciated.

Or a USB one? The Xorcom stuff might work...

http://www.xorcom.com/products/astribank_bri

http://www.voipon.co.uk/xorcom-astri...ank-p-531.html

Drop me an email if you want any info on the Beronet card - it seems to
be working well so-far.

Gordon
Old June 9th 07, 10:22 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Cardiff IT Support Ltd

Why not PCI cards in the PC?

I did an install with one of these recently:

http://www.asteriskcards.eu/webstore/beronet_bn2s0.php

375 euroblobs though, but it was delivered quickly and installation was
fairly straightforward.

does anyone have any experiences? recommended products? I was considering
mediatrix 4402 but i recently read that their tech support is bad which
put
me off.

any assistance appreciated.

thanks Gordon.

I need to start and finish this install next saturday so I need to know it
is going to work / i am going to be able to get it working.

I felt that a sip gateway would be the most straight forward although it
would be tidier if it could be done (i could do it) with a card.

i was considering the digium card, as it has hardware echo cancellation too.
is the beronet active or passive? I thought HFC based cards where the ones
to be avoided?

thanks for your help...

Old June 9th 07, 12:43 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Gordon Henderson

[...]

Sent you an email.

Gordon
Old June 10th 07, 02:18 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Tim

Cardiff IT Support Ltd wrote:

i have to do an asterisk install for a client with 2 x ISDN2e lines.

rather than put ISDN cards in the PC, I wanted to use a 2 port bri / sip
gateway.

This is a very common question to which there is no good answer.

I've been looking for a really decent BRI - SIP gateway for the last 5
years.

Needs to

1) Stay up and not crash. Not need rebooting ever.
2) Work properly. Design by somebody who understands SIP.
3) Be sold for a sensible price.

The nearest you will probably get is the Parley gateways from Partner
Voxstream in Denmark. Unless things have changed, these are really
designed for sitting between a traditional ISDN PBX and normal ISDN
lines, to provide cheaper calls over VoIP. Rather than being an ISDN
access device for an IP PBX.

Have you seen the Junghanns cards?

Tim
Old June 10th 07, 02:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Gordon Henderson

In article ,
Tim wrote:
[...]

So what if it was a stand-alone Linux box which booted off flash, had
a 4-port ISDN card in it, and ... er ... Ran asterisk to act as a SIP
gateway? (I know asterisk might not have the most perfect SIP interface,
but it generally works!)

The trouble is, I couldn't put this together for much less than 500,
and 300 of that goes in the bloody ISDN card )-:

And if you've done that, you might as well just use the box as the
PBX anyway...

Gordon
Old June 10th 07, 03:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Tim

Gordon Henderson wrote:
So what if it was a stand-alone Linux box which booted off flash, had
a 4-port ISDN card in it, and ... er ... Ran asterisk to act as a SIP
gateway? (I know asterisk might not have the most perfect SIP interface,
but it generally works!)

That would get you to about the right place

http://linitx.com/product_info.php?c...8cc2a9cb74331a

has room for the PCI card. If you want to build your own.

If you don't want to DIY, just buy a ready made version

Tim
Old June 10th 07, 03:43 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Gordon Henderson

In article ,
Tim wrote:
Gordon Henderson wrote:
So what if it was a stand-alone Linux box which booted off flash, had
a 4-port ISDN card in it, and ... er ... Ran asterisk to act as a SIP
gateway? (I know asterisk might not have the most perfect SIP interface,
but it generally works!)

That would get you to about the right place

http://linitx.com/product_info.php?c...8cc2a9cb74331a

has room for the PCI card. If you want to build your own.

At 309 for just the box + mobo (no processor or memory), that's somewhat
expensive ... and it looks like there's no hole on the back for the PCI
card to poke out...

If you don't want to DIY, just buy a ready made version

Well I already do DIY - I have a ready built Asterisk based PBX thingy
that boots off flash and takes a single PCI card... (and it's a lot
cheaper than that unit above! - well for me to buy, anyway

But I think the point was to find a lower-cost device that would
do what's required... and as I said, if I went down that route just
to provide an ISDN to SIP gateway, I might as well just use this whole
thing as the PBX and be done with it.

I think the OP was more intersted in an external box to work with
their own (asterisk?) solution - maybe because there are some concerns
about ISDN and Asterisk and so on. I only have experience with one ISDN2
installation so-far, and although that's ticking away very nicely, and
doing what it should, it's not exactly a good statistical sample!

The only other device I've found that might be almost usable is a USB2
device:

http://www.xorcom.com/products/astribank_bri

but it's supported with asterisk, so might be an option...

Gordon