Windows Vista

Old June 9th 07, 10:48 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
guv

Default Windows Vista

I'd like to buy a Skype phone for use on Windows Vista. However, Ive
seen countless forum articals suggesting that a USB phone (or any
phone that would plug into USB - eg a wireless base unit) wont work.

I'd rather not wast money on this, if thats the case.

Can anyone confirm and recommend a phone I could use under Vista?
Preferable one thats not going to cost the earth and has Dect as well
(and can be used for either without needing to alternate to use on
either.) The dect part is less important - but desirable.

Cheers
Old June 9th 07, 11:48 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Jungle Boy

Take a look at these:
http://dualphone.net

I bought one of these about a year ago:
http://dualphone.net/UK_Forside-31.aspx

I only enable the Skype software when I want to
make a cheap long distance call using SkypeOut.
The phone otherwise behaves as a normal DECT phone.

Recently they've bought out the 3088 model that
doesn't need a PC but it's more expensive:
http://dualphone.net/DUALphone_3088_for_Skype-789.aspx

JB

Old June 10th 07, 10:53 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Bob

"guv" wrote in message

I'd like to buy a Skype phone for use on Windows Vista. However, Ive
seen countless forum articals suggesting that a USB phone (or any
phone that would plug into USB - eg a wireless base unit) wont work.

I'd rather not wast money on this, if thats the case.

Can anyone confirm and recommend a phone I could use under Vista?
Preferable one thats not going to cost the earth and has Dect as well
(and can be used for either without needing to alternate to use on
either.) The dect part is less important - but desirable.

Cheers

Theres an easy cure. Format the hard disc and put a proper O/S on it like
XP Pro that does support it.
Vista = 1 step forward, 10 steps back.

Old June 10th 07, 11:14 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Paul Cupis

Bob wrote:
Format the hard disc and put a proper O/S on it like
XP Pro that does support it.

Assuming that the OP has a licence for Microsoft Windows XP Professional
to install - if not it is going to cost him ~£245 (amazon) for the
privilege, and the OP has already indicated that he doesn't want to
spend a lot of money on this project.
Old June 10th 07, 07:50 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
guv

On Sun, 10 Jun 2007 11:14:32 +0100, Paul Cupis
wrote:

Bob wrote:
Format the hard disc and put a proper O/S on it like
XP Pro that does support it.

Assuming that the OP has a licence for Microsoft Windows XP Professional
to install - if not it is going to cost him ~£245 (amazon) for the
privilege, and the OP has already indicated that he doesn't want to
spend a lot of money on this project.

The Vista machine is for HTPC content. Just thought it would be nice
to be sitting in the living room with the cam!

Ive now bought a dect/Voip phone from ebuyer - which I cant see
anywhere is supported in Vista. If it doesnt, I'll just use it on one
of the XP machines on the network. Luckily, the device displays Skype
details of who is online etc, so no big deal. At least it is wireless
- so can still be sitting on the settee in the living room when using!
;-)
Old June 11th 07, 12:15 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Clint Sharp

In message , Paul Cupis
writes
Bob wrote:
Format the hard disc and put a proper O/S on it like
XP Pro that does support it.

Assuming that the OP has a licence for Microsoft Windows XP
Professional to install - if not it is going to cost him ~£245 (amazon)
for the privilege, and the OP has already indicated that he doesn't
want to spend a lot of money on this project.

Cobblers, buy a stick of RAM for 20 quid and an OEM copy of XP Pro for
70 quid (ish), stick the RAM into the machine and install XP, Ts and Cs
of the OEM license met.
--
Clint Sharp