Asterisk help

Old June 14th 07, 04:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
John Blessing

Default Asterisk help

I want to set up my computer so that it automatically receives calls to e.g.
a sipgate number, then does some auto-processing - including (but there may
be other stuff I want to do later) saving the message to voicemail, then
emailing that voicemail,

I believe that you can do this sort of thing with Asterisk, is that correct?

I have tried reading the "future of Telephony" book but have to admit being
a bit overwhelmed and much of it seems irrelevant to what I want to do.

Is there a simple guide that anyone can point me at?

Or should I be looking for another solution?

TIA

--
John Blessing

Old June 14th 07, 04:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Gordon Henderson

In article ,
John Blessing wrote:
I want to set up my computer so that it automatically receives calls to e.g.
a sipgate number, then does some auto-processing - including (but there may
be other stuff I want to do later) saving the message to voicemail, then
emailing that voicemail,

I believe that you can do this sort of thing with Asterisk, is that correct?

Yes.

I have tried reading the "future of Telephony" book but have to admit being
a bit overwhelmed and much of it seems irrelevant to what I want to do.

It's got everything you need, but it's not an easy read.

Is there a simple guide that anyone can point me at?

Not really. There is an asterisk-users mailling list which has
voluminous archives, so is full of stuff, but it's hard to pick
out what you need. Theres also a big voip wiki project going on
http://www.voip-info.org/wiki/

Or should I be looking for another solution?

A single asterisk box (or running on your workstation) is a bit of an
overkill for what you want... Don't sipgate offer voicemail to email yet?

But rather than 'raw' asterisk, you might want to look at some of the
other projects based on it - eg. Trixbox (used to be called Asterisk
at Home) or FreePBX (incorporated into Trixbox), and so on...

Gordon
Old June 14th 07, 04:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
John Blessing

"Gordon Henderson" wrote in message
In article ,
John Blessing wrote:
[...]

Yes, they do, but I want the flexibility of being able to use different voip
providers who may not have this voicemail/email facility and the ability to
add other functionality myself.

I'll look into trixbox etc. Thanks.

--
John

Old June 14th 07, 05:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Gordon Henderson

In article ,
John Blessing wrote:

"Gordon Henderson" wrote in message
.. .
In article ,
John Blessing wrote:
[...]

Well, it's not too hard - Sipgate have instructions on what to put in
the various asterisk files which generally work OK, then you can
write the dialplan to suit your own intentions..

I'll look into trixbox etc. Thanks.

Might not provide the flexability that you need, but it might also get
you going fairly quickly - the issues with Trixbox, etc. is that they
want to completely take over all the /etc/asterisk/* config files, so
putting your own stuff in them might be problematic, but it might also
give you some ideas of what you want to put in there yourself.

Good luck!

Gordon