Search for voip

Old June 15th 07, 10:48 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
shawn

Default Search for voip

Hi , I am looking for a voip device thatís really good and great value
for money ,I seen few devices with my friends but these guys are not
very satisfied with what they have and keep complaining of money they
pay it for not using it. Thought Iíll put my question here and look at
my options .I basically need a voip service which is free for a start
so, Iíll not be paying for not using it as my friends do.
Thanks:-

View this thread: http://www.wirelessforums.org/showthread.php?t=23390
http://www.wirelessforums.org

Old June 16th 07, 12:35 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ivor Jones

"shawn" wrote in
message
Hi , I am looking for a voip device thatís really good
and great value for money ,I seen few devices with my
friends but these guys are not very satisfied with what
they have and keep complaining of money they pay it for
not using it. Thought Iíll put my question here and look
at my options .I basically need a voip service which is
free for a start so, Iíll not be paying for not using it
as my friends do.

All devices cost money, unless you steal them ;-)

Are you talking about a physical piece of equipment, or a provider..?
There are several providers which are free to try.

Ivor

Old June 16th 07, 01:06 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Graham

"shawn" wrote in message

Hi , I am looking for a voip device that's really good and great value
for money ,I seen few devices with my friends but these guys are not
very satisfied with what they have and keep complaining of money they
pay it for not using it. Thought I'll put my question here and look at
my options .I basically need a voip service which is free for a start
so, I'll not be paying for not using it as my friends do.
Thanks:-

Shawn, it is better if you posted direct to uk.telecom.voip instead of using
third party websites that leach content from Usenet and add adverts.

It sounds like your friends have signed up for subsidised voip hardware
that is tied to a particular voip provider like Vonage.

Have a look at the Sipura range of ATAs (Analogue Telephone
Adapters) I use something similar, a Linksys PAP3

For cheap service providers look at the many Betamax
companies, the one I use for outgoing calls is VoIPCheap.com
For incoming calls both Orbtalk.co.uk and Sipgate.co.uk
will give you free telephone numbers for almost any STD
code in the UK simply create the accounts but don't
top-up unless you want to use them for OG calls.

--
Graham.
%Profound_observation%

Old June 16th 07, 08:27 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
robert

On Jun 15, 7:35 pm, "Ivor Jones" wrote:
"shawn" wrote in

Hi , I am looking for a voip device that's really good
and great value for money ,I seen few devices with my
friends but these guys are not very satisfied with what
they have and keep complaining of money they pay it for
not using it. Thought I'll put my question here and look
at my options .I basically need a voip service which is
free for a start so, I'll not be paying for not using it
as my friends do.

All devices cost money, unless you steal them ;-)

Are you talking about a physical piece of equipment, or a provider..?
There are several providers which are free to try.

Ivor

I use a Sipura2002ER and it runs great!!!

i bought it on ebay, actually i have 2 of them: one i bought it from
ebay and the other from amazon.com, same price, unless amazon.com gave
also a replacement plan for $5, which means that for 2 years, i'm full
covered of any damage...

Old June 16th 07, 12:36 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Brian A

On Fri, 15 Jun 2007 05:48:34 -0400, shawn
wrote:

Hi , I am looking for a voip device thatís really good and great value
for money ,I seen few devices with my friends but these guys are not
very satisfied with what they have and keep complaining of money they
pay it for not using it. Thought Iíll put my question here and look at
my options .I basically need a voip service which is free for a start
so, Iíll not be paying for not using it as my friends do.
Thanks:-

You friends are probably using an ATA locked to Vonage or a similar
regime. Not very good value for money unless you use the phone a very
great deal.
Invest in a good ATA and you are more likely to be satisfied.
I'd look at:-
SPA-3102
SPA-1001
Fritzbox Fon 7050
Fritzbox Fon 4102

Use Froogle to find the best prices or try broadbandstuff.co.uk or
broadbandbuyer.co.uk.

Then get a good provider for your UK calls such as voip.co.uk on the
'UK Pack'. £20 for a year's off peak calls and peak calls at 2p/call.

With an unlocked ATA you can choose to have a number of providers
depending on the call destinations.

Check out the services of voxalot.com also.

--
Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.

Get your friends to sign too!
TV.
Old June 19th 07, 07:50 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Adam Lipscombe

If you are using VOIP over the same connection as other internet traffic then you do need Quality Of
Service for the VOIP packets. This throttles back the other traffic to reserve enough bandwidth for
decent call quality.

The Fritzbox handles this beautifully - I used to have a PAP2 running with a standard ADSL router
but the call quality was dreadful when there was other traffic. With the fritzbox the call quality
is still good even when the bandwidth is maxed out.

HTH - Adam