what capacity from asterisk

Old June 18th 07, 03:48 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
blokedownpub

Default what capacity from asterisk

Hi,

I've got an idea for a voice messaging system and am trying to get a
feel for what would be required to set this up.

I'd like to set up a system that can handle say 200 calls at one time
where each caller is presented with a menu with the ability to select
one of several automated messages. Doing some investigations, it looks
like asteisk is the way forward for a low cost solution.

I have a couple of questions and would be greatful for some advice:

How many simultanious voice messages could one server handle, and I
suppose what would that spec be?
Could someone reccomend a carrier that would provide the phone line to
voip technology?
Would the carrier charge for incomming calls if they're from a
nationally geographic number like 0208?

Please forgive the rather basic questions.

Thanks in advance,
Gavin.

Old June 18th 07, 05:48 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Desk Rabbit

blokedownpub wrote:
Hi,

I've got an idea for a voice messaging system and am trying to get a
feel for what would be required to set this up.

I'd like to set up a system that can handle say 200 calls at one time
where each caller is presented with a menu with the ability to select
one of several automated messages. Doing some investigations, it looks
like asteisk is the way forward for a low cost solution.

I have a couple of questions and would be greatful for some advice:

How many simultanious voice messages could one server handle, and I
suppose what would that spec be?
Could someone reccomend a carrier that would provide the phone line to
voip technology?
Would the carrier charge for incomming calls if they're from a
nationally geographic number like 0208?

Please forgive the rather basic questions.

Please forgive the rather basic answer ;-)

Google: asterisk sizing

First hit. Well not exactly but the first line takes you to
http://www.voip-info.org/wiki/view/A...k+dimensioning

Old June 19th 07, 12:08 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
NicHughes

On 18 Jun, 14:48, blokedownpub wrote:
Hi,

I've got an idea for a voice messaging system and am trying to get a
feel for what would be required to set this up.

I'd like to set up a system that can handle say 200 calls at one time
where each caller is presented with a menu with the ability to select
one of several automated messages. Doing some investigations, it looks
like asteisk is the way forward for a low cost solution.

I have a couple of questions and would be greatful for some advice:

How many simultanious voice messages could one server handle, and I
suppose what would that spec be?

200 simultaneous IVR calls might be pushing it. On a modern server I'm
not saying it can't be done but you would have to really check things
out and test them.

In any event having two cheap commodity servers gives you greater
options for failover resilience as well as making it easier to get
upgrades online without downtime.

Could someone reccomend a carrier that would provide the phone line to
voip technology?
Would the carrier charge for incomming calls if they're from a
nationally geographic number like 0208?

You are more likely to have to pay a monthly fee for a geographic
number.

--
Nic

Old June 19th 07, 03:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Graham

"NicHughes" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

If the OP doesn't need a guarantee that he'll have the number for ever,
he could get as many as he wants at no charge from Sipgate or Orbtalk.

Graham.
%Profound_observation%