Voipfone keeps disconnecting when I am on mute....

Old June 23rd 07, 01:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Mr JM

Default Voipfone keeps disconnecting when I am on mute....

All,

I am trying to use voipfone (with a snom 300) for the last 4 month, but
unlike everyone else, I find them completly useless....

I am quite often on conference call, during which I intend to set my phone
on mute if I am not talking. After about 2-5 minutes on mute, I find myself
disconnected.

Am I the only one in this case? voipfone support reckon this is a but at
their end, but after 4 month, this is still `pending resolution`.

Any clues?

Ditch voipfone? bnut then to go where (voip.co.uk quality is not great, and
sipgate even worse).

Thanks,

JM

Old June 23rd 07, 02:51 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Brian A

On Sat, 23 Jun 2007 12:25:52 +0100, "Mr JM" wrote:

All,

I am trying to use voipfone (with a snom 300) for the last 4 month, but
unlike everyone else, I find them completly useless....

I am quite often on conference call, during which I intend to set my phone
on mute if I am not talking. After about 2-5 minutes on mute, I find myself
disconnected.

Am I the only one in this case? voipfone support reckon this is a but at
their end, but after 4 month, this is still `pending resolution`.

Any clues?

Ditch voipfone? bnut then to go where (voip.co.uk quality is not great, and
sipgate even worse).

Thanks,

JM

I always find voip.co.uk quality to be good, so I am surprised that
you say this. Maybe you have another problem with your
hardware/connection.
On voip there are several free conference rooms. Depending on how you
conduct your conferences, you could all link to the same room on the
same number if that was a satisfactory arrangement.
Check out this page for details:-
http://faq.sipbroker.com/tiki-index....=Phone+Numbers
Look under From http://sipphone.com/numbers :
at
*747-1-222-000-0000 party line (sometimes has people talking about
VoIP; open)
*747-1-222-XXX-XXXX create your own conference room by choosing any
7-digit number (open)
Just point a voip 'PSTN' number at the appropriate conference call
number and you are up and working. Of course this is not private but
the chances of someone happening on your chosen number is quite small
considering that most of the users think that the only number is that
for the 'party line'.

---
Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.

Get your friends to sign too!
TV.
---
Old June 23rd 07, 04:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Jono

Mr JM pretended :
All,

I am trying to use voipfone (with a snom 300) for the last 4 month, but
unlike everyone else, I find them completly useless....

I am quite often on conference call, during which I intend to set my phone on
mute if I am not talking. After about 2-5 minutes on mute, I find myself
disconnected.

Am I the only one in this case? voipfone support reckon this is a but at
their end, but after 4 month, this is still `pending resolution`.

Any clues?

Ditch voipfone? bnut then to go where (voip.co.uk quality is not great, and
sipgate even worse).

Thanks,

JM

I've never used a Snom, so YMMV, however, on all my kit, there are
settings to detect silence. I suspect that your phone may think you've
hung up, or at least forgotten to hang up, when it has detected a
period of silence.

Old June 23rd 07, 05:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Rob

wrote in message

I think they have gone a bit off just lately which is why I have
canciled my account from the end of the month after being with them
for almost two years and sticking with voip.co.uk .

One alternative would be Sipgate, who, on the other hand I'm led to believe,
have improved in the last 2 years.

Rob

Old June 23rd 07, 05:50 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ivor Jones

"Rob" wrote in message

wrote in message

I think they have gone a bit off just lately which is
why I have canciled my account from the end of the
month after being with them for almost two years and
sticking with voip.co.uk .

One alternative would be Sipgate, who, on the other hand
I'm led to believe, have improved in the last 2 years.

Very much so, since the registration servers were replaced about 18 months
or so ago. Never had an outage or dropped call since.

Ivor

Old June 23rd 07, 06:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Mr JM

Brian,

The problem with conf call is that I do not really always control the
confcall system my customers are using, so that's not really an option.

I guess quality wise, it might just depends. But people (at the other end of
the line, mostly US based) complained more when using voip.co.uk than
voipfone.co.uk

Old June 23rd 07, 08:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Graham

"Mr JM" wrote in message
All,

I am trying to use voipfone (with a snom 300) for the last 4 month, but
unlike everyone else, I find them completly useless....

I am quite often on conference call, during which I intend to set my phone
on mute if I am not talking. After about 2-5 minutes on mute, I find
myself disconnected.

Am I the only one in this case? voipfone support reckon this is a but at
their end, but after 4 month, this is still `pending resolution`.

Any clues?

Ditch voipfone? bnut then to go where (voip.co.uk quality is not great,
and sipgate even worse).

Thanks,

JM

Just a thought, have you got silence suppression enabled in your
SIP device? Perhaps if it was disabled it would keep the connection
alive by sending silent packets.

--
Graham.
%Profound_observation%

Old June 23rd 07, 08:42 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip

On 23 Jun, 18:39, wrote:
On Sat, 23 Jun 2007 17:13:11 +0100, "Mr JM" wrote:
Sticking with voip.co.uk the way forward?

About the best I have found pityvoipfonehave slipped a little in the
last month or two though .

If anything I think they have improved over the last few months well
at least I have no complaints :-)

Is there not a standard disconnect if no audio is heard? I am sure it
is about 5 minutes

if there is not some sort of default disconnect and you forget to hang
up your phone you will just be charged until your money runs out I
think even BT have a standard disconnect if no audio is sent afaik

jbw