Transfering BT number to Sipgate or other VoIP ?

Old June 25th 07, 02:01 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Martin²

Default Transfering BT number to Sipgate or other VoIP ?

I have just relinquished my BT fax No. (as part of a plan to move away from
BT)
and would like to transfer the number to Sipgate or other VoIP.
Sipgate help pages still (?) say that it can't be done, but I thought that
it is now possible ?
Anyone in the know ?
TIA
Regards,
Martin

Old June 25th 07, 06:26 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
BC

Martin² wrote:
I have just relinquished my BT fax No. (as part of a plan to move away from
BT)
and would like to transfer the number to Sipgate or other VoIP.
Sipgate help pages still (?) say that it can't be done, but I thought that
it is now possible ?
Anyone in the know ?
TIA
Regards,
Martin

Voip.co.uk can port in from BT, my number ported last Friday. There is
no charge for the port but if you want your BT number as your outgoing
Caller ID they charge £5 + VAT to set that up.
Old June 25th 07, 05:19 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
News Reader

"Martin²" wrote in message
I have just relinquished my BT fax No. (as part of a plan to move away from
BT)
and would like to transfer the number to Sipgate or other VoIP.
Sipgate help pages still (?) say that it can't be done, but I thought that
it is now possible ?
Anyone in the know ?
TIA
Regards,
Martin

Hi,

I hope you haven't over relinquished it... the line must still be active
when the port takes place (as I understand it - and this should then cancel
the line the port came from but this part is not guaranteed).

Best wishes,

News Reader

Old June 25th 07, 06:11 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Jono

After serious thinking Martin² wrote :
I have just relinquished my BT fax No. (as part of a plan to move away from
BT)
and would like to transfer the number to Sipgate or other VoIP.
Sipgate help pages still (?) say that it can't be done, but I thought that it
is now possible ?
Anyone in the know ?
TIA
Regards,
Martin

When you say you have relinquished the number - what exactly do you
mean?

In order to take the number to somewhere like voip.co.uk, the line must
be working & have no pending cease orders for them to be able to
process a port.

Furthermore, I would suggest keeping it as a BT line if you want to be
able to continue sending & receiving faxes on this number.

Old June 29th 07, 02:32 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Martin²

Had a response from Sipgate, it's still NOT possible :-(
I thought they are getting their No.s from Magrathea who can get ex BT No.s
, ah well..
Regards,
Martin

Old July 21st 07, 10:12 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Thomas Kenyon

Martin² wrote:
Had a response from Sipgate, it's still NOT possible :-(
I thought they are getting their No.s from Magrathea who can get ex BT No.s
, ah well..
Regards,
Martin

AFAIK, magrathea still can't port BT numbers (am I wrong?), voip.co.uk
resell Gamma Telecom, who can.

(Gradwell also use Gamma Telecom for porting numbers but don't use them
for their regular geographic numbers).
Old July 21st 07, 11:05 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ivor Jones

"Thomas Kenyon" wrote in
message
Martin² wrote:
Had a response from Sipgate, it's still NOT possible :-(
I thought they are getting their No.s from Magrathea
who can get ex BT No.s , ah well..
Regards,
Martin

AFAIK, magrathea still can't port BT numbers (am I
wrong?), voip.co.uk resell Gamma Telecom, who can.

(Gradwell also use Gamma Telecom for porting numbers but
don't use them for their regular geographic numbers).

As an aside, is it possible to port a Gradwell number to Sipgate..? I have
a single line account with them that hasn't seen much use in recent months
so it seems silly to keep paying the monthly fee. The number comes from
Magrathea, in fact it's only a few digits away from another Sipgate number
I have, so I can't see why it wouldn't couldn't be done.

Ivor