AoL and Voip? Any problems?

Old June 25th 07, 10:21 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Brian A

Default AoL and Voip? Any problems?

A friend, for various reasons, has chosen to go with AoL for
broadband. Before he takes the plunge I just want to check if anyone
out there is on AoL and uses voip (other than what AoL might supply).
Comments gratefully received re experiences.

---
Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.

Get your friends to sign too!
TV.
---
Old June 25th 07, 10:32 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Lurch

On Mon, 25 Jun 2007 21:21:22 GMT, Brian A
mused:

A friend, for various reasons, has chosen to go with AoL for
broadband. Before he takes the plunge I just want to check if anyone
out there is on AoL and uses voip (other than what AoL might supply).
Comments gratefully received re experiences.

---
Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.

Get your friends to sign too!
TV.
---

Best bet would be to tell your 'friend' that VoIP doesn't work on AOL.
--
Regards,
Stuart.
Old June 25th 07, 10:36 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Paul Cupis

Lurch wrote:
On Mon, 25 Jun 2007 21:21:22 GMT, Brian A
mused:

A friend, for various reasons, has chosen to go with AoL for
broadband. Before he takes the plunge I just want to check if anyone
out there is on AoL and uses voip (other than what AoL might supply).
Comments gratefully received re experiences.

Best bet would be to tell your 'friend' that VoIP doesn't work on AOL.

Doesn't it?
(honest question)
Old June 25th 07, 11:29 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Lurch

On Mon, 25 Jun 2007 22:36:33 +0100, Paul Cupis
mused:

Lurch wrote:
On Mon, 25 Jun 2007 21:21:22 GMT, Brian A
mused:

A friend, for various reasons, has chosen to go with AoL for
broadband. Before he takes the plunge I just want to check if anyone
out there is on AoL and uses voip (other than what AoL might supply).
Comments gratefully received re experiences.

Best bet would be to tell your 'friend' that VoIP doesn't work on AOL.

Doesn't it?
(honest question)

Never tried it, but it would stop them using AOL if they want to also
use VoIP services.

Just a roundabout way of telling them to not use AOL, regardless of
how good some people may say it now is.
--
Regards,
Stuart.
Old June 26th 07, 11:00 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Brian A

Lurch wrote:
On Mon, 25 Jun 2007 21:21:22 GMT, Brian A
mused:

A friend, for various reasons, has chosen to go with AoL for
broadband. Before he takes the plunge I just want to check if anyone
out there is on AoL and uses voip (other than what AoL might supply).
Comments gratefully received re experiences.

Best bet would be to tell your 'friend' that VoIP doesn't work on AOL.

Doesn't it?
(honest question)

Never tried it, but it would stop them using AOL if they want to also
use VoIP services.

Just a roundabout way of telling them to not use AOL, regardless of
how good some people may say it now is.

My friend can have use of a BT line to carry the broadband but is not
allowed by the renter of the line to do anything that changes the
service offered. That doesn't leave many choices for a limited budget.
AoL are offering a free Netgear router in with the deal - that will
save some outlay, Tiscali only offer a free modem and that is likely
to be a USB - so useless. My friend definitely wants to use voip and
I'll be setting it up - that is why I am enquiring to find out if
there are any impediments to this.
---

Old June 26th 07, 11:47 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Rob

"Brian A" wrote in message

My friend can have use of a BT line to carry the broadband but is not
allowed by the renter of the line to do anything that changes the
service offered. That doesn't leave many choices for a limited budget.
AoL are offering a free Netgear router in with the deal - that will
save some outlay, Tiscali only offer a free modem and that is likely
to be a USB - so useless. My friend definitely wants to use voip and
I'll be setting it up - that is why I am enquiring to find out if
there are any impediments to this.

I don't know how limited your friends budget is, but there may be a deal to
suit him he
http://www.plus.net/residential/broa...=tab_broadband

There are free activation and free router options available, (dependent on
staying for 12 mths), and contract lengths from 1 month. Overnight usage is
not counted towards usage allowances and most of the plans include a VoIP
account with some "free" (inclusive) minutes.

OK, the PlusTalk VoIP service is not 100% reliable, but the inclusive
minutes come in very handy even though they can only be used to call 01 and
02 landline numbers. Other VoIP usage is not restricted and is prioritised
over the ISPs network.

Overall, VoIP works well for me using PlusNet.

Rob

Old June 26th 07, 12:21 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Rob

"Rob" wrote in message

http://www.plus.net/residential/broa...=tab_broadband

Just in case you can't get to that link above on the PlusNet Portal anytime
soon, here's the probable reason:

Quote:
In addition to this there is a threat that many parts of Sheffield will
lose power today, due to the main substation being located near a
reservoir dam which is feared to burst. There are currently measures in
place to prevent this, however we are unsure as to the success of this
at the moment, as reported by the BBC he
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/s...re/6239782.stm

Should the power outage occur this has the potential to severely impact
our Sheffield based services, including portal services, homepages,
email, and our Customer Support Centre.

Connectivity should remain unaffected, as will CCGI and MySQL services,
and usenet.
Rob

Old June 26th 07, 07:26 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Paul Cupis

Lurch wrote:

Best bet would be to tell your 'friend' that VoIP doesn't work on AOL.

Doesn't it?
(honest question)

Never tried it, but it would stop them using AOL if they want to also
use VoIP services.

Just a roundabout way of telling them to not use AOL, regardless of
how good some people may say it now is.

So you recommendation is to lie to your 'friend' instead of just
explaining to them that you don't recommend AOL as an ISP? Nice.
Old June 26th 07, 09:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Lurch

On Tue, 26 Jun 2007 19:26:46 +0100, Paul Cupis
mused:

Lurch wrote:

Best bet would be to tell your 'friend' that VoIP doesn't work on AOL.
Doesn't it?
(honest question)

Never tried it, but it would stop them using AOL if they want to also
use VoIP services.

Just a roundabout way of telling them to not use AOL, regardless of
how good some people may say it now is.

So you recommendation is to lie to your 'friend' instead of just
explaining to them that you don't recommend AOL as an ISP?

From the tone of the OP he already knew how bad AOL were so would have
already explained this, but I could be wrong.

Nice.

Yeah, I thought so.
--
Regards,
Stuart.
Old June 27th 07, 12:51 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
PlusNet Support Team

Rob wrote:
"Brian A" wrote in message

My friend can have use of a BT line to carry the broadband but is not
allowed by the renter of the line to do anything that changes the
service offered. That doesn't leave many choices for a limited budget.
AoL are offering a free Netgear router in with the deal - that will
save some outlay, Tiscali only offer a free modem and that is likely
to be a USB - so useless.

Hi there,

Our 'free' modem is a single port Ethernet effort, so no USB issues there.

Kind Rgds,

--
+------ PlusNet - The smarter way to Internet! ------