voxalot

Old June 26th 07, 10:32 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Telephoneman

Default voxalot

I gave up trying to get a trixbox working a few months ago as I could never
fix the one way transmission problems I had (amongst others) but I'd still
like to do something with the comms around the house, my home office and the
wife's (remote) office.

At the moment I have an account with Voipfone with a pstn number and 4 PBX
extensions. I've also got a an account with Voiptalk and another pstn number
which routes to a UT Starcomm F1000. Furthermore I've got a couple of US
voip numbers with 2 different providers. All in all it's a mess and costs me
about a tenner a month in standing charges.

As I'd like to keep all my numbers I was wondering if I could ditch the
Voipfone extensions (99p per month each) and build a centrex functionality
using voxalot, with the hardware I've already got plus some softphones. has
anyone done this? The dial plans would seem not to be a problem but I'm not
sure. Would I need to register every handset/softphone as a seperate
account?

TIA

Liam

--

Private and Confidential
***************************

Warning
**********
It is the responsibility of the recipient to ensure that the onward
transmission, opening, or use of this message and any attachments will have
no adverse effect on their systems or data. Please undertake such virus and
other checks as you consider appropriate. No responsibility is accepted by
the sender in this respect.

Old June 26th 07, 11:10 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Brian A

On Tue, 26 Jun 2007 10:32:40 +0100, "Telephoneman"
wrote:

[...]

You can open a single voxalot account to register all your voip
accounts. Then input all the details of your providers. Where you want
an incoming call to ring your phone you should set that provider to
'register'. Don't fall into the trap of choosing a nice, easy to
remember, voxalot number as you'll find lots of morons using it for a
test number.
You then set up your ATA to register with voxalot.
You may choose to have a dialling plan mix - some on the ATA and some
on voxalot - depends on your set up ( I am not familiar with your
router).
Once set up all your numbers will ring your phone and there will be a
common voicemail box on voxalot.
On your account details page set the time to 'London' time. That will
ensure announcements from voicemail give the correct time.
However, you should set forwarding times in GMT - an anomaly that you
should be aware of.
---
Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.

Get your friends to sign too!
TV.
---
Old June 26th 07, 01:36 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Brian

On 26-06-2007, Telephoneman wrote:

[...]

The Voipfone extensions provide some quite sophisticated functions which
may not be capable of being replaced by what Voxalot has to offer. A bit
more detail on the way you use them is likely to be helpful.

--
Brian
Old June 26th 07, 03:34 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Telephoneman

"Brian" wrote in message
[...]

OK, I'd like to have a couple of extensions at site A, using the analogue
ports on the existing Speedtouch 716. At site B (also a ST716) I'd have 2
analogue phones, 1 ethernet voip phone, the wi-fi voip phone and a couple of
soft-phones. Every station would be allocated a 2XX number (doesn't class
with my local numbers). Every station could call the others using 2XX and
also access the pstn. Dial plan would prefix local 7XXXXX and 8XXXXX numbers
with the STD code. All pstn calls would go out via voipfone, except USA
calls which would go out via one of my US voip carriers.

On the incoming side each existing number would be pointed at an extn
(mostly at the same one), except where the SP e.g. voiptalk allows calling
of multiple numbers simultaneously which I would want to take advantage of.
Ideally a call answered at one extn could be transferred to another. I
realise this is getting into pbx functionality and if it wasn't possible
then it's not the end of the world.

TIA

Old June 27th 07, 12:05 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Brian

On 26-06-2007, Telephoneman wrote:

OK, I'd like to have a couple of extensions at site A, using the analogue
ports on the existing Speedtouch 716. At site B (also a ST716) I'd have 2
analogue phones, 1 ethernet voip phone, the wi-fi voip phone and a couple of
soft-phones. Every station would be allocated a 2XX number (doesn't class
with my local numbers). Every station could call the others using 2XX and
also access the pstn. Dial plan would prefix local 7XXXXX and 8XXXXX numbers
with the STD code. All pstn calls would go out via voipfone, except USA
calls which would go out via one of my US voip carriers.

Voxalot supports multiple registrations, so it should be possible to
register all your equipment to a single account. Their dial plan
features should allow you do what you specify with 7XXXXX and 8XXXXX
numbers and PSTN calls. One station calling another I'm not sure about.
I wonder whether call forwarding is a possible route to a solution.

On the incoming side each existing number would be pointed at an extn
(mostly at the same one), except where the SP e.g. voiptalk allows calling
of multiple numbers simultaneously which I would want to take advantage of.
Ideally a call answered at one extn could be transferred to another. I
realise this is getting into pbx functionality and if it wasn't possible
then it's not the end of the world.

There do not appear to be any problems with handling your incoming call
requirements, although you might consider having them come directly to
your static IP. Call transfer does not seem possible with Voxalot.

--
Brian
Old June 27th 07, 12:50 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Desk Rabbit

Telephoneman wrote:
I gave up trying to get a trixbox working a few months ago as I could never
fix the one way transmission problems I had (amongst others)

That will be a NAT problem because Asterisk doesn't support STUN which
your handsets will use to get around the NAT issue. Either remove the
NAT or use a provider that supports IAX such as http://www.voiptalk.org