New to SIP user / router questions ..

Old June 26th 07, 12:18 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
T i m

Default New to SIP user / router questions ..

Hi All,

I have need to change my cable (NTL) router and I was being pointed
towards the DrayTek offerings as they were supposed to be pretty
hardy.

Whilst looking at the DrayTek stuff the hardware VOIP thing got me
going and was wondering if I could *realistically* drop our second
telephone line (primary BT for *us*, second line via NTL for daughter)
and replace it with a VOIP solution. We could then put the ~9 quid /
month line rental saved towards a faster BB service or summat (beer?).
;-)

By the way of a test I've registered with Sipgate and installed the
X-Lite SIP client (and much like Skype to use) and taken a call from
our land line and a mobile, so far, so good.

So, do the DrayTek offering live up to their name would you say or
would I actually get the same function / reliability with something
else (cheaper) please?

Did I spot the 'Billion' brand of routers look very similar to some of
the DrayTek's (and do they do a cable model)?

From the router I only really need the basic router functions (NAT /
FW / PF etc) and ideally (if it looks like it might be a goer) 2 x SIP
ports (one for daughter, one for me).

All the best and thanks for your time ..

T i m

Old June 26th 07, 02:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Brian A

On Tue, 26 Jun 2007 11:18:38 GMT, T i m wrote:

Hi All,

I have need to change my cable (NTL) router and I was being pointed
towards the DrayTek offerings as they were supposed to be pretty
hardy.

Whilst looking at the DrayTek stuff the hardware VOIP thing got me
going and was wondering if I could *realistically* drop our second
telephone line (primary BT for *us*, second line via NTL for daughter)
and replace it with a VOIP solution. We could then put the ~9 quid /
month line rental saved towards a faster BB service or summat (beer?).
;-)

No reason at all why you shouldn't run voip. There are a few people on
this group who don't have a landline at all - just broadband.

By the way of a test I've registered with Sipgate and installed the
X-Lite SIP client (and much like Skype to use) and taken a call from
our land line and a mobile, so far, so good.

So, do the DrayTek offering live up to their name would you say or
would I actually get the same function / reliability with something
else (cheaper) please?

Did I spot the 'Billion' brand of routers look very similar to some of
the DrayTek's (and do they do a cable model)?

From the router I only really need the basic router functions (NAT /
FW / PF etc) and ideally (if it looks like it might be a goer) 2 x SIP
ports (one for daughter, one for me).

All the best and thanks for your time ..

T i m

I can't comment on routers specifiically, I usually check out reviews
on various sites, including Amazon. If you are on NTL then,
presumably, you have an ethernet modem to which you can connect a
router.
The Fritzbox Fon 7140 is a very versatile voip, wireless, router that
can be used on ADSL (it has a modem included in the box) or with
cable, in this case a connection is made to the first ethernet
connection on the box from the cable modem.
You can Froogle or check out
http://tinyurl.com/yqn9xf
on broadbandstuff.co.uk

---
Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.

Get your friends to sign too!
TV.
---
Old June 26th 07, 02:59 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
T i m

On Tue, 26 Jun 2007 13:27:37 GMT, Brian A
wrote:

Whilst looking at the DrayTek stuff the hardware VOIP thing got me
going and was wondering if I could *realistically* drop our second
telephone line (primary BT for *us*, second line via NTL for daughter)
and replace it with a VOIP solution. We could then put the ~9 quid /
month line rental saved towards a faster BB service or summat (beer?).
;-)

No reason at all why you shouldn't run voip. There are a few people on
this group who don't have a landline at all - just broadband.

Excellent. I don't think I'd go quite that far yet so will keep the BT
line but the second one could easily go (especially considering how
lightly used it is).

From the router I only really need the basic router functions (NAT /
FW / PF etc) and ideally (if it looks like it might be a goer) 2 x SIP
ports (one for daughter, one for me).

I can't comment on routers specifiically, I usually check out reviews
on various sites, including Amazon.

Funny, I rarely think of Amazon for such kit (although Google often
takes me there). ;-)

If you are on NTL then,
presumably, you have an ethernet modem to which you can connect a
router.

Indeed.

The Fritzbox Fon 7140 is a very versatile voip, wireless, router that
can be used on ADSL (it has a modem included in the box) or with
cable, in this case a connection is made to the first ethernet
connection on the box from the cable modem.

Really (clever).

You can Froogle or check out
http://tinyurl.com/yqn9xf
on broadbandstuff.co.uk

Hmm, it seems to do everything on my wish list Brian just I can't see
mention of the direct connect thing via the first Ethernet port (but I
guess you have one so know that's how it works)?

Do we know 'Fritz' .. have they been about long?

I didn't spot any support options on their web site, firmware updates
/ manuals etc?

http://www.fritzbox.eu/

All the best ..

T i m
Old June 26th 07, 04:28 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
John Miller

Hmm, it seems to do everything on my wish list Brian just I can't see
mention of the direct connect thing via the first Ethernet port (but I
guess you have one so know that's how it works)?

It does that for sure. I have the 7170 (=7140 + ISDN) and using that
configuration.

Their main website is www.avm.de (also in English)

Old June 26th 07, 05:59 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
T i m

On Tue, 26 Jun 2007 17:28:51 +0200, "John Miller"
wrote:

Hmm, it seems to do everything on my wish list Brian just I can't see
mention of the direct connect thing via the first Ethernet port (but I
guess you have one so know that's how it works)?

It does that for sure. I have the 7170 (=7140 + ISDN) and using that
configuration.

So ignoring the ISDN port John?

Do we know 'Fritz' .. have they been about long?
I didn't spot any support options on their web site, firmware updates
/ manuals etc?
http://www.fritzbox.eu/

Their main website is www.avm.de (also in English)

Ah, that's better, thanks ;-)

So, where did you hear about Fritz John and are you happy with your
choice?

All the best ..

T i m

Old June 26th 07, 07:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
John Miller

It does that for sure. I have the 7170 (=7140 + ISDN) and using that
configuration.

So ignoring the ISDN port John?

I am using it, of course.

So, where did you hear about Fritz John and are you
happy with your choice?

Everyone in the VOIP world knows about the Fritz!box :-)

Old June 26th 07, 08:13 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
T i m

On Tue, 26 Jun 2007 20:16:28 +0200, "John Miller"
wrote:

It does that for sure. I have the 7170 (=7140 + ISDN) and using that
configuration.

So ignoring the ISDN port John?

I am using it, of course.

Oh, I thought ISDN had gone these days (mind you I have been out of
telecomms for a few years now).

So, where did you hear about Fritz John and are you
happy with your choice?

Everyone in the VOIP world knows about the Fritz!box :-)

Ah, and now as do I! ;-)

All the best ..

T i m
Old June 26th 07, 11:14 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
John Miller

Oh, I thought ISDN had gone these days (mind you I
have been out of telecomms for a few years now).

ISDN is still very popular in Germany. I am using ISDN phone because they
work very conveniently; with the Fritz!box I can use them to call over VOIP
and even over my analogue fixed phone line!

Old June 26th 07, 11:48 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
T i m

On Wed, 27 Jun 2007 00:14:11 +0200, "John Miller"
wrote:

Oh, I thought ISDN had gone these days (mind you I
have been out of telecomms for a few years now).

ISDN is still very popular in Germany.

Wasn't that (historically) because Germany has many areas of high
population density, separated by some fairly large distances
(favouring a switched rather than leased line model)?

I am using ISDN phone because they
work very conveniently; with the Fritz!box I can use them to call over VOIP
and even over my analogue fixed phone line!

Handy ;-)

All the best ..

T i m
Old June 27th 07, 02:57 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
MartinČ

Tim:
So, where did you hear about Fritz John and are you happy with your
choice?

Sipgate has been selling Fritz! boxes for quite some time,
there is a non WiFi model, see their website to compare prices.

I have not seen any serious complaints, just many questions, seems there a
many options to set up.
Regards,
Martin