Is BT VOIP SIP?

Old June 27th 07, 11:50 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
T i m

Default Is BT VOIP SIP?

Hi All,

I was just wondering, pre getting a SIP compatible router here at
home, if BT's VOIP offering as comes with their Home Hub offering is
SIP compatible?

Could I call my Mum's VOIP line free from X-Lite etc?

All the best ..

T i m

Old June 27th 07, 07:41 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Wispa

On 27 Jun, 11:50, T i m wrote:
Hi All,

I was just wondering, pre getting a SIP compatible router here at
home, if BT's VOIP offering as comes with their Home Hub offering is
SIP compatible?

Could I call my Mum's VOIP line free from X-Lite etc?

All the best ..

T i m

Hi Tim,

The Internet phone service that comes with BT Broadband is SIP.
However, it is a closed network and unlike many other SIP networks you
can not connect to it using X-Lite etc. The only softphone currently
supported is BT's own which incidently was written by the same people
that developed X-Lite.

Many other SIP networks like wispa, sipgate, gizmo provide the ability
to talk to SIP users for free. For example a wispa user can talk to
other wispa users and gizmo users for free using either a softphone or
hardphone. Using BT's SIP network you can call other BT SIP users for
free softphone to softphone but pay for calls when using their
hardphone unless calls are made during the evening or weekend.

In summary it is a SIP network but not all SIP networks are equal and
in my opinion, BT's network is less equal from the consumers
perspective than many others available on the market.

Regards
Graeme
Wispa - developers of Skype and SIP application services
www.wispa.it

Old June 27th 07, 08:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Brian A

On Wed, 27 Jun 2007 11:41:40 -0700, Wispa
wrote:

On 27 Jun, 11:50, T i m wrote:
[...]

....and, am I not right in saying, that they block the use of other
operators' voip services?

---
Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.

Get your friends to sign too!
TV.
---
Old June 27th 07, 10:46 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
T i m

wrote:

On 27 Jun, 11:50, T i m wrote:
Hi All,

I was just wondering, pre getting a SIP compatible router here at
home, if BT's VOIP offering as comes with their Home Hub offering is
SIP compatible?

Could I call my Mum's VOIP line free from X-Lite etc?

All the best ..

T i m

Hi Tim,

Hi Graeme,

The Internet phone service that comes with BT Broadband is SIP.

Ok ..

However, it is a closed network and unlike many other SIP networks you
can not connect to it using X-Lite etc. The only softphone currently
supported is BT's own which incidently was written by the same people
that developed X-Lite.

Typical .. ;-)

Many other SIP networks like wispa, sipgate, gizmo provide the ability
to talk to SIP users for free.

I have a Sipgate account but thought I read somewhere it has also
recently shut it's doors to outsider SIP networks?

For example a wispa user can talk to
other wispa users and gizmo users for free using either a softphone or
hardphone.

So are there some SIP networks that *do* allow x-network chat or would
they be an exception at the moment?

Using BT's SIP network you can call other BT SIP users for
free softphone to softphone but pay for calls when using their
hardphone unless calls are made during the evening or weekend.

Understood.

In summary it is a SIP network but not all SIP networks are equal and
in my opinion, BT's network is less equal from the consumers
perspective than many others available on the market.

;-)

Thanks very much for the info Graeme.

All the best ..

T i m
Old June 28th 07, 12:35 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ivor Jones

"T i m" wrote in message

[snip]

I have a Sipgate account but thought I read somewhere it
has also recently shut it's doors to outsider SIP
networks?

Only those without a peering agreement. Gradwell for example to Sipgate
works fine.

Ivor

Old June 28th 07, 12:45 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
T i m

On Thu, 28 Jun 2007 00:35:13 +0100, "Ivor Jones"
wrote:

"T i m" wrote in message

[snip]

I have a Sipgate account but thought I read somewhere it
has also recently shut it's doors to outsider SIP
networks?

Only those without a peering agreement. Gradwell for example to Sipgate
works fine.

Ah, thanks Ivor.

What about DrayTel (as I now know one mate has an older DrayTek router
and uses the VoIP features)?

Is there a table of the providers that have such an agreement out
there do you know please?

All the best ..

T i m
Old June 28th 07, 04:20 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ivor Jones

"T i m" wrote in message

[snip]

Ah, thanks Ivor.

What about DrayTel (as I now know one mate has an older
DrayTek router and uses the VoIP features)?

Is there a table of the providers that have such an
agreement out there do you know please?

Sipgate's website has a list but not sure how up to date it is.

Ivor

Old June 28th 07, 07:24 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
T i m

On Thu, 28 Jun 2007 16:20:08 +0100, "Ivor Jones"
wrote:

"T i m" wrote in message

[snip]

Ah, thanks Ivor.

What about DrayTel (as I now know one mate has an older
DrayTek router and uses the VoIP features)?

Is there a table of the providers that have such an
agreement out there do you know please?

Sipgate's website has a list but not sure how up to date it is.

Thanks for that Ivor, I'll check it out.

All the best ..

T i m
Old June 29th 07, 01:04 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
R. Mark Clayton

wrote:

On 27 Jun, 11:50, T i m wrote:
Hi All,

I was just wondering, pre getting a SIP compatible router here at
home, if BT's VOIP offering as comes with their Home Hub offering is
SIP compatible?

Could I call my Mum's VOIP line free from X-Lite etc?

All the best ..

T i m

Hi Tim,

The Internet phone service that comes with BT Broadband is SIP.
However, it is a closed network and unlike many other SIP networks you
can not connect to it using X-Lite etc. The only softphone currently
supported is BT's own which incidently was written by the same people
that developed X-Lite.

So can you overlay another SIP service through a BT router or will it block
calls?