What information can you see?

Old June 29th 07, 10:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
T i m

Default What information can you see?

Hi All,

As I'm new to VoIP outside Skype / X-Talk (MSN?) I'm unsure what sorta
info is available to casual callers when you sign up with the various
providers do you know please?

Like I've signed up for Sipgate's free thing (as a starting point) and
see I have a "Your business card" with all my personal details (name
/ address / SIP No / email etc). Does anyone other than me (and them)
get to see that sort of thing?

Do we make up details?

All the best ..

T i m
Old June 29th 07, 10:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Graham

"T i m" wrote in message
Hi All,

As I'm new to VoIP outside Skype / X-Talk (MSN?) I'm unsure what sorta
info is available to casual callers when you sign up with the various
providers do you know please?

Like I've signed up for Sipgate's free thing (as a starting point) and
see I have a "Your business card" with all my personal details (name
/ address / SIP No / email etc). Does anyone other than me (and them)
get to see that sort of thing?

Do we make up details?

All the best ..

T i m

Not unless someone has your password and logs on to the secure
site (AFAIK)

I'll tell you what did give me the creeps the first time it happened
I signed up with Amazon to buy a book for my son.
I subsequently visited a totally unconnected site and
there was a little advert for Amazon which greeted
me with "Hello Graham"
Of course I was on the same machine and it was
done with cookies but less IT literate folk may
fear something sinister.

--
Graham.
%Profound_observation%

Old June 29th 07, 10:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
T i m

On Fri, 29 Jun 2007 22:23:46 +0100, "Graham" wrote:

"T i m" wrote in message
.. .
Hi All,

As I'm new to VoIP outside Skype / X-Talk (MSN?) I'm unsure what sorta
info is available to casual callers when you sign up with the various
providers do you know please?

Like I've signed up for Sipgate's free thing (as a starting point) and
see I have a "Your business card" with all my personal details (name
/ address / SIP No / email etc). Does anyone other than me (and them)
get to see that sort of thing?

Do we make up details?

All the best ..

T i m

Not unless someone has your password and logs on to the secure
site (AFAIK)

Ok, thanks for that Graham. I didn't know if it was one of those 'you
didn't do that then' things? ;-(

I'll tell you what did give me the creeps the first time it happened
I signed up with Amazon to buy a book for my son.
I subsequently visited a totally unconnected site and
there was a little advert for Amazon which greeted
me with "Hello Graham"
Of course I was on the same machine and it was
done with cookies but less IT literate folk may
fear something sinister.

I have set a hosts file here and I'm amazed how many 'ordinary' sites
try to send you off to gather stats etc.

All the best ..

T i m