Fritz experience so far ..

Old July 2nd 07, 12:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
T i m

Default Fritz experience so far ..

Hi all,

After lots of deliberation re a replacement router and wanting to try
a hard VoIP solution I ended up with a Fritz!Box Fon WLAN 1740.

Luckily had emailed AVM TS and I was advised how you enable the cable
(rather than ADSL) use but in spite of this info it still took a
couple of goes to fully understand how it all worked. (The email
suggested plugging the WAN cable into 'LanA' but my 1740 doesn't have
a LanA but that translated to Lan1. You also can't plug the WAN cable
into the box until you have told it to expect a cable modem on 'Lan1'
or it simply acts as a hub and the PC 'see's the DHCP server of the
ISP and gives the wrong IP settings etc. I can see an issue in the
future when 'Factory resetting' the router and not being able to get
into it without extracting the WAN cable first?).

Once that was worked out the rest seems to have gone swimmingly. I
reset the i/p address of the router, set the DHCP scope to something
more suitable (to duplicate the settings of previous routers) and
enabled port forwarding for my NAS / ftp server.

I have enabled the night service so the WiFi is turned off at 1am and
back on at 7am and it's pushes a stats email to me (and into a
FritzStats mail folder) every day at midnight (a bit of which looks
like this).

Period Online Data Volume S/R Connections

Yesterday 24:01 1491MB 80MB / 1411MB 0
This week 00:04 30MB 2MB / 28MB 0
This month 24:04 1520MB 81MB / 1439MB 0
Last month 33:53 421MB 127MB / 294MB 3

The WiFi seems to work ok (my Palm T|X and a laptop connect to it ok
anyway) and it accepted and shared (via ftp) my 2G pen drive first
time (neat that, moreso that you can also share that to the internet)
;-)

I have configured the VoiP to the Sipgate account I setup the other
day and although the Fitz box says the 'Internet Number is registered
I haven't actually tested it with a phone yet.

The firmware update went very well (it found the upgrade file first
time) and added a few new features like child online time (duration)
restrictions, energy monitor (power saving) and (I think) the Night
Service.

I've run 'Shields Up' ( https://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2 ) and it
only finds the open ftp port and that it's responding to a ping (and
can't see a way of turning that off with the tools provided).

So, bottom line, I like it (but early days etc) It's a bit different
re the WAN connection but if I do move away from cable to ADSL I have
already got a suitable router! (I don't think there are many that do
both ADSL and Cable are there?) The interface isn't quite the same as
other makes I know (all the main ones) but once you get the idea where
things are it's all pretty easy. ;-)

Knowing it's guaranteed for 5 years is also a plus and it was 135
delivered.

All the best ..

T i m

Old July 2nd 07, 12:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
T i m

On Mon, 02 Jul 2007 11:27:48 GMT, T i m wrote:

Hi all,

After lots of deliberation re a replacement router and wanting to try
a hard VoIP solution I ended up with a Fritz!Box Fon WLAN 1740.

Not good etiquette to reply to yourself I know but I just spotted an
important typo ..

It's a 7140! (doh).

All the best ..

T i m
Old July 2nd 07, 01:14 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
John Miller

After lots of deliberation re a replacement router and wanting to try
a hard VoIP solution I ended up with a Fritz!Box Fon WLAN 1740.

Congratulations :-)

Luckily had emailed AVM TS and I was advised how you enable the cable
(rather than ADSL) use but in spite of this info it still took a
couple of goes to fully understand how it all worked.

The labeling of the LAN ports is indeed a bit different:

- the FB with 2 LAN ports: LAN A + LAN B
- the FB with 4 LAN ports: LAN 1 + LAN 2 + LAN 3 + LAN 4

The first time you switch the ADSL modem off, there is a warning message
that from now on you need to do the configuration from LAN B instead of LAN
A, so I think that is quite clear.

I have configured the VoiP to the Sipgate account I setup the other
day and although the Fitz box says the 'Internet Number is registered
I haven't actually tested it with a phone yet.

You can also use a SIP compatible software phone (SJphone, Xlite, ...) to
test calls to your new ATA.

Also, turn ENUM on - it's a great feature, but unfortunately not many people
use it yet.

Another remark: make sure you use a good codec for voice calls. I suggest
G.711 if you have enough bandwith. In the webinterface there is a setting
"always use fixed-phone quality for VOIP calls". For advanced users: the
codec priority list can be edited in the voip.cfg file in the Fritz!box.

I also prefer to turn VAD off (when on, it doesn't send any data during
silences in a conversation - but I find it strange to hear such absolute
silences inbetween words.. that's why some devices even introduce "comfort
noise"

but if I do move away from cable to ADSL I have
already got a suitable router! (I don't think there are many that do
both ADSL and Cable are there?)

I didn't find any other device that could do this yet! Also, almost all
"subparts" can be disabled: for instance, you can use it solely as a
wireless access point, or as a telephone exchange, or as wifi repeater, ...

Old July 2nd 07, 01:37 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
T i m

On Mon, 2 Jul 2007 14:14:37 +0200, "John Miller"
wrote:

After lots of deliberation re a replacement router and wanting to try
a hard VoIP solution I ended up with a Fritz!Box Fon WLAN 1740.

Congratulations :-)

Thanks, like I said, still early days though (but at least it doesn't
drop me out my online FPS like the new Belkin did).

Luckily had emailed AVM TS and I was advised how you enable the cable
(rather than ADSL) use but in spite of this info it still took a
couple of goes to fully understand how it all worked.

The labeling of the LAN ports is indeed a bit different:

- the FB with 2 LAN ports: LAN A + LAN B
- the FB with 4 LAN ports: LAN 1 + LAN 2 + LAN 3 + LAN 4

But as I don't think there is anything that refers to any of it
anywhere in the supplied docs / CD (and the 'CD wizard didn't work for
me, again possibly because 'Cable' didn't seem to be considered an
option) so it was a bit of pot luck. AVM have acknowledged this as a
big oversight.

The first time you switch the ADSL modem off, there is a warning message
that from now on you need to do the configuration from LAN B instead of LAN
A, so I think that is quite clear.

I didn't see an option to 'Switch the ADSL off' John?, just a radio
button offering "Internet connection via LAN 1" (Select this kind of
connection if FRITZ!Box is to be connected to an already existing
network (LAN), a cable modem or a DSL router).?

I have configured the VoiP to the Sipgate account I setup the other
day and although the Fitz box says the 'Internet Number is registered
I haven't actually tested it with a phone yet.

You can also use a SIP compatible software phone (SJphone, Xlite, ...) to
test calls to your new ATA.

Ah, I have X-Lite on there, good idea (still need to plug a phone in
there).

Also, turn ENUM on - it's a great feature, but unfortunately not many people
use it yet.

Because they don't know what it is (like me). The description near the
option doesn't help much .. "An ENUM request will be performed before
the number is dialed. The Internet number listed in the domain will
then be used to dial the number." .. ?

Another remark: make sure you use a good codec for voice calls. I suggest
G.711 if you have enough bandwith. In the webinterface there is a setting
"always use fixed-phone quality for VOIP calls". For advanced users: the
codec priority list can be edited in the voip.cfg file in the Fritz!box.

Ok, thanks.

I also prefer to turn VAD off (when on, it doesn't send any data during
silences in a conversation - but I find it strange to hear such absolute
silences inbetween words.. that's why some devices even introduce "comfort
noise"

Ok, understood. "Hello, are you still there ..?"

but if I do move away from cable to ADSL I have
already got a suitable router! (I don't think there are many that do
both ADSL and Cable are there?)

I didn't find any other device that could do this yet! Also, almost all
"subparts" can be disabled: for instance, you can use it solely as a
wireless access point, or as a telephone exchange, or as wifi repeater, ...

I guess my current focus is on it being a good reliable WiFi router.
The VoIP was the next important facility and I'm not quite sure how I
will implement it in here.

We have a BT line going through a PABX to 5 telephones in different
rooms of the house.

We have an NTL / Virgin line which is used by our daughter.

I would *like* to extend (just) my extension (No2 and with a DECT
phone) via the Fritz!Box so that I can take and make calls either via
BT or the SIP services.

The second VoIP port I would like to dedicate to our daughters (DECT)
phone. If we loose her NTL line I wouldn't mind if she uses our BT
line to call out if the BB fails.

I don't particularly want her phone ringing for anything other than
incoming VoIP calls to her number.

But that is all in stage 2!

All the best and thanks for your help re the Fritz solution John.

All the best ..

T i m

Old July 2nd 07, 03:00 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
John Miller

Default Fritz experience so far .. / ENUM

Also, turn ENUM on - it's a great feature, but unfortunately not
many people use it yet.

Because they don't know what it is (like me). The description near the
option doesn't help much .. "An ENUM request will be performed before
the number is dialed. The Internet number listed in the domain will
then be used to dial the number." .. ?

If you enable ENUM, each time you dial a number, the Fritz!box will do a DNS
lookup to see if there is way to dial this number directly over the Internet
(for free), instead of going over the PSTN network.

How to enable this on your side?

- First, make sure you have a SIP provider that allows their customers to be
reachable via a SIP address. If your current SIP provider doesn't allow
this, go to voipuser.org and create a free account. You will then have a
SIP address name @ voipuser.org . Register this new VOIP provider in your
Fritz!box. You can use X-lite now to call name @ voipuser.org and see if
your phones are indeed ringing. A SIP address looks like an email address,
but it's meant to receive (free) calls.

- Go to www.e164.org and create a new account. Here you make the connection
that your fixed phonenumer 012345678 can be reached in a free and direct way
as name @ voipuser.org

Now, if someone else who has an ENUM compatible ATA is dialing your number
012345678, that's persons ATA will first check e164.org to see if that
number has a SIP address equivalent. If so, and yes in this case, it will
not dial this actual number, but chooses the free and direct way name @
voipuser.org If there is no equivalent SIP address, it will use the normal
way to dial this number.

Hope it is a bit clear this way.

So if you enable ENUM and you dial a number, it will check if it can call
that number for free and directly (without any conversion from one PSTN
provider to another).

I don't particularly want her phone ringing for anything other than
incoming VoIP calls to her number.

You can setup for each phone for which incoming numbers it should ring!

Old July 2nd 07, 09:08 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Herman

"John Miller" wrote in message
Another remark: make sure you use a good codec for voice calls. I suggest
G.711 if you have enough bandwith. In the webinterface there is a setting
"always use fixed-phone quality for VOIP calls". For advanced users: the
codec priority list can be edited in the voip.cfg file in the Fritz!box.

Would also be interested to have a look at the configuration files - I guess
you have to telnet into these? Have you got a few tips for doing this -
have played around a bit with Telnet on a different box but not sure of the
exact process again. I have had a few minor issues with the box, and I
would like to see if this is in the configuration (e.g. three way calling
not working, inbound dtmf issue, ....)

I had a quick look at the configuration export file and couldn't find
anything useful other than the codec selection.

Old July 2nd 07, 09:28 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
John Miller

Would also be interested to have a look at the configuration files - I
guess you have to telnet into these? Have you got a few tips for doing
this - have played around a bit with Telnet on a different box but not
sure of the exact process again. I have had a few minor issues with the
box, and I would like to see if this is in the configuration (e.g. three
way calling not working, inbound dtmf issue, ....)

First activate telnet from a connected telephone: #96*7* (deactivate with
#96*8*). You then get a confirmation tone. On an ISDN phone you should see
the text "telnetd on" or "telnetd off".

Now, open a telnet session to your Fritz!box and use standard linux
commands. For instance:

cd var
cd flash
ls (to get the folder contents)
nvi voip.cfg (to edit the voip.cfg file)

and so on... but be careful what you change! :-)

Old July 3rd 07, 11:15 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
T i m

On Mon, 2 Jul 2007 16:00:04 +0200, "John Miller"
wrote:

Also, turn ENUM on - it's a great feature, but unfortunately not
many people use it yet.

Because they don't know what it is (like me). The description near the
option doesn't help much .. "An ENUM request will be performed before
the number is dialed. The Internet number listed in the domain will
then be used to dial the number." .. ?

If you enable ENUM, each time you dial a number, the Fritz!box will do a DNS
lookup to see if there is way to dial this number directly over the Internet
(for free), instead of going over the PSTN network.

How to enable this on your side?

- First, make sure you have a SIP provider that allows their customers to be
reachable via a SIP address.

Like Sipgate?

If your current SIP provider doesn't allow
this, go to voipuser.org and create a free account. You will then have a
SIP address name @ voipuser.org . Register this new VOIP provider in your
Fritz!box. You can use X-lite now to call name @ voipuser.org and see if
your phones are indeed ringing. A SIP address looks like an email address,
but it's meant to receive (free) calls.

Ok ..(I wouldn't have to do that with a Sipgate account would I John?)

- Go to www.e164.org and create a new account. Here you make the connection
that your fixed phonenumer 012345678 can be reached in a free and direct way
as name @ voipuser.org

So would I put fixedphonenum then sipgatephonenum in my case?

Now, if someone else who has an ENUM compatible ATA is dialing your number
012345678, that's persons ATA will first check e164.org to see if that
number has a SIP address equivalent. If so, and yes in this case, it will
not dial this actual number, but chooses the free and direct way name @
voipuser.org If there is no equivalent SIP address, it will use the normal
way to dial this number.

Hope it is a bit clear this way.

I think so (unless you *have* to do the voipuser.org bit)?

I've had a look at that (and registered an account) but will admit
it's still not very clear, mainly because (as usual with things IT)
the use of phrases like "... In this example "Primary Termination" is
set to terminate the phone number being administered to the
Destination 1 location". ;-(

So if you enable ENUM and you dial a number, it will check if it can call
that number for free and directly (without any conversion from one PSTN
provider to another).

Assuming all called parties also have enabled ENUM I assume though
John?

I don't particularly want her phone ringing for anything other than
incoming VoIP calls to her number.

You can setup for each phone for which incoming numbers it should ring!

Good, I hoped that was the case but wasn't sure (again, many of the
(telephony especially) options in the Fritz!Box aren't 'intuitive' to
me).

Because the chances are my Fritz!Box will be connected to an extension
of our PABX I don't think I'll bother with the analogue / PABX side of
the box for the time being (in case the PBX makes the picture more
complicated).

I guess I need to put a phone on it and start making some test calls
and see if I can work my way through what seems like 1000 options!

All the best ..

T i m

Old July 3rd 07, 12:05 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Brian

wrote:

- First, make sure you have a SIP provider that allows their customers to be
reachable via a SIP address.

Like Sipgate?

No. Not like Sipgate.

If your current SIP provider doesn't allow
this, go to voipuser.org and create a free account. You will then have a
SIP address name @ voipuser.org . Register this new VOIP provider in your
Fritz!box. You can use X-lite now to call name @ voipuser.org and see if
your phones are indeed ringing. A SIP address looks like an email address,
but it's meant to receive (free) calls.

Ok ..(I wouldn't have to do that with a Sipgate account would I John?)

Indeed you would.

- Go to www.e164.org and create a new account. Here you make the connection
that your fixed phonenumer 012345678 can be reached in a free and direct way
as name @ voipuser.org

So would I put fixedphonenum then sipgatephonenum in my case?

You could. But it won't work.

Now, if someone else who has an ENUM compatible ATA is dialing your number
012345678, that's persons ATA will first check e164.org to see if that
number has a SIP address equivalent. If so, and yes in this case, it will
not dial this actual number, but chooses the free and direct way name @
voipuser.org If there is no equivalent SIP address, it will use the normal
way to dial this number.

Hope it is a bit clear this way.

I think so (unless you *have* to do the voipuser.org bit)?

You have to have a provider who will accept a SIP address. That is, one
who will route [email protected] Apparently voipuser does. Sipgate is one
provider who doesn't.

--
Brian