VOIP newbie: can I have US number?

Old July 3rd 07, 08:42 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Lobster

Default VOIP newbie: can I have US number?

Hi

I'm afraid I'm only just getting into this VOIP stuff, but am well
impressed so far!

I'm using a laptop with X-lite software, with sipgate which has given me
a UK phone number.

When I take the laptop to the US, ideally I'd like to have a US VOIP
phone number to use in parallel to the UK one, for the benefit of
incoming local callers. How would I do that? Can I open another SIP
account with a US number and use that on the same X-lite?

Any advice most welcome!
David
Old July 3rd 07, 09:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Graham

"Lobster" wrote in message
Hi

I'm afraid I'm only just getting into this VOIP stuff, but am well
impressed so far!

I'm using a laptop with X-lite software, with sipgate which has given me a
UK phone number.

When I take the laptop to the US, ideally I'd like to have a US VOIP phone
number to use in parallel to the UK one, for the benefit of incoming local
callers. How would I do that? Can I open another SIP account with a US
number and use that on the same X-lite?

Any advice most welcome!
David

http://www.ipkall.com/ will give you a free Washington State number.
I think you have to point it to a FWD account. I did look a this some
time ago and it all looked reasonably straight forward (excuse the pun).

--
Graham.
%Profound_observation%

Old July 3rd 07, 09:43 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
{{{{{Welcome}}}}}

Graham wrote:
"Lobster" wrote in message
Hi

I'm afraid I'm only just getting into this VOIP stuff, but am well
impressed so far!

I'm using a laptop with X-lite software, with sipgate which has
given me a UK phone number.

When I take the laptop to the US, ideally I'd like to have a US VOIP
phone number to use in parallel to the UK one, for the benefit of
incoming local callers. How would I do that? Can I open another SIP
account with a US number and use that on the same X-lite?

Any advice most welcome!
David

http://www.ipkall.com/ will give you a free Washington State number.
I think you have to point it to a FWD account. I did look a this some
time ago and it all looked reasonably straight forward (excuse the
pun).

You used to be able to point it at a Sipgate number, until Sipgate
prevented it.

I have IPKall numbers pointed to my VoIPStunt service.

http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/NGN-use-by-GPs
http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/signage

Old July 3rd 07, 10:59 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Brian

On 03-07-2007, Lobster wrote:

Hi

I'm afraid I'm only just getting into this VOIP stuff, but am well
impressed so far!

I'm using a laptop with X-lite software, with sipgate which has given me
a UK phone number.

When I take the laptop to the US, ideally I'd like to have a US VOIP
phone number to use in parallel to the UK one, for the benefit of
incoming local callers. How would I do that?

Find a company which sells them or which gives them to you free. Ipkall
and freedigits do free numbers. Voiptalk, among others, have them for
sale. Your concept of 'local' in the USA may influence your decision.

Ensure there is a facility to point the PSTN number to a suitable SIP
account.

Can I open another SIP
account with a US number and use that on the same X-lite?

Opening another account would be obligatory as Sipgate won't accept
incoming calls from that number. My recollection is that you can have a
number of concurrent active accounts on x-lite.

--
Brian
Old July 6th 07, 08:43 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
andy

On Jul 3, 9:59 pm, Brian wrote:
On 03-07-2007, Lobster wrote:

[...]

IPKall has become less useful recently, following barring of incoming
calls from numbers with no caller ID, well that's what they said but
it also includes blocking valid foreign caller IDs that they've
mangled

http://forum.voxilla.com/ipkall-supp...ber-22457.html

I sometimes used to use say Voipbuster or Voxalot callback with IPKall
to forwarded a Betamax VoIP account as one or even both call legs..
Freedigits is ok, but dosn't reach one or two accounts.