Broadband Sync speed vs actual down speed?

Old August 29th 07, 05:21 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Herb

Default Broadband Sync speed vs actual down speed?

I am paying for ADSL Max (upto 8mb) and my line syncs around 3872 kbps all
the time. Problem is the download speed is 1957 kbps on speed tests and
never goes above 2mb ever. What speed should I be expecting at this sync
and why is the average download speed so low? The line is with BT, the
broadband is with Virgin.

Old August 29th 07, 06:03 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
alexd

Herb wrote:

I am paying for ADSL Max (upto 8mb) and my line syncs around 3872 kbps all
the time. Problem is the download speed is 1957 kbps on speed tests and
never goes above 2mb ever. What speed should I be expecting at this sync
and why is the average download speed so low? The line is with BT, the
broadband is with Virgin.

Run a BT speed test, and see what it thinks your IP profile is.

--
http://ale.cx/ (AIM:troffasky) )
18:03:10 up 42 days, 23:48, 3 users, load average: 1.45, 1.16, 0.77

Old August 29th 07, 06:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

On 29 Aug, 18:03, alexd wrote:
Herb wrote:
I am paying for ADSL Max (upto 8mb) and my line syncs around 3872 kbps all
the time. Problem is the download speed is 1957 kbps on speed tests and
never goes above 2mb ever. What speed should I be expecting at this sync
and why is the average download speed so low? The line is with BT, the
broadband is with Virgin.

Try getting up early in the morning and doing a speed test

...then try doing another one say around 7pm in the evening..

...then wonder why there is a huge difference..

Jim.

Old August 29th 07, 06:29 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Herb

wrote in message
oups.com...

Try getting up early in the morning and doing a speed test

..then try doing another one say around 7pm in the evening..

..then wonder why there is a huge difference..

Jim.

There isn't a difference its around 2mbit all the time...... But the line
syncs higher.

Old August 29th 07, 06:29 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Herb

"alexd" wrote in message
Herb wrote:

I am paying for ADSL Max (upto 8mb) and my line syncs around 3872 kbps

all
the time. Problem is the download speed is 1957 kbps on speed tests and
never goes above 2mb ever. What speed should I be expecting at this

sync
and why is the average download speed so low? The line is with BT, the
broadband is with Virgin.

Run a BT speed test, and see what it thinks your IP profile is.

Where would I do that?
Thanks
Herb

Old August 29th 07, 08:45 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gio

"Herb" wrote in message

"alexd" wrote in message
Herb wrote:

I am paying for ADSL Max (upto 8mb) and my line syncs around 3872 kbps

all
the time. Problem is the download speed is 1957 kbps on speed tests
and
never goes above 2mb ever. What speed should I be expecting at this

sync
and why is the average download speed so low? The line is with BT, the
broadband is with Virgin.

Run a BT speed test, and see what it thinks your IP profile is.

Where would I do that?
Thanks
Herb

http://speedtester.bt.com/

Gio

Old August 30th 07, 10:04 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
brightside S9

On Wed, 29 Aug 2007 17:21:17 +0100, "Herb" wrote:

I am paying for ADSL Max (upto 8mb) and my line syncs around 3872 kbps all
the time. Problem is the download speed is 1957 kbps on speed tests and
never goes above 2mb ever. What speed should I be expecting at this sync
and why is the average download speed so low? The line is with BT, the
broadband is with Virgin.

You should ascertain what your current line rate is. Your ISP should
be able to give you this information. Your download speed cannot
exceed this line rate irrespective of your sync rate.

The speed you should be expecting depends on what your contract with
your ISP specifies. It may specify that you have a maximum line rate
of, for example, 2meg. Though I would suspect that if your contract
really is for an 'up to 8meg' service you should expect at ~ 3meg.
with the given sync.

For example my sync is currently 1984kpbs and my line rate,
displayable on my ISP's connection details is 1728kbps.
(I am a long way from the BT exchange). A speed test usually gives me
a figure of ~1.1 to 1.4 depending who I use for the speed test and
when it is run.

--
brightside S9
Old August 30th 07, 09:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Herb

"alexd" wrote in message
Herb wrote:

I am paying for ADSL Max (upto 8mb) and my line syncs around 3872 kbps

all
the time. Problem is the download speed is 1957 kbps on speed tests and
never goes above 2mb ever. What speed should I be expecting at this

sync
and why is the average download speed so low? The line is with BT, the
broadband is with Virgin.

Run a BT speed test, and see what it thinks your IP profile is.

These are the results:

The speed test has completed on test server test.speedtester.bt.com for user
01xxxxxxxxx and you have downloaded a 1.7Mb file at a speed of

1785 kilo bits per second (Kbps), your service bandwidth will have been
quoted to you in kilo bits per second.

Your IP address is xx.xx.xx.xx, your browser is reported as being Microsoft
Internet Explorer 6.0 and is running on Windows XP.

BT would regard the speed ranges shown below as normal service:

For 250kbps End Users speeds between 50 - 250kbps.
For 500kbps End Users speeds between 100 - 500kbps.
For 1000kbps End Users speeds between 200 - 1000kbps.
For 2000kbps End Users speeds between 400 - 2000kbps.

You may now disconnect from the speed test account (click 'disconnect' in
your internet connection window) and if you wish to regain normal access to
the internet please re-connect to your ISP using your usual username and
password.

Please note that test results may vary according to varying traffic in the
network. If you continue to experience slower throughput when logged in to
your ISP, this may be due to a slow internet site or high traffic levels
beyond the BT Wholesale Network. Please report this situation to your ISP's
helpdesk.

----------

What do you make of that alexd?

Herb

Old August 31st 07, 11:31 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
alexd

Herb wrote:

"alexd" wrote in message

Run a BT speed test, and see what it thinks your IP profile is.

These are the results:

The speed test has completed on test server test.speedtester.bt.com for
user 01xxxxxxxxx and you have downloaded a 1.7Mb file at a speed of

1785 kilo bits per second (Kbps), your service bandwidth will have been
quoted to you in kilo bits per second.

snip

What do you make of that alexd?

Interesting. When I run a BT speed test here, it says "The IP profile for
your line is - 7150kbps". This is on a Max Premium line. Perhaps the output
of the test varies depending on what type of circuit you have?

--
http://ale.cx/ (AIM:troffasky) )
11:28:58 up 44 days, 17:14, 3 users, load average: 0.05, 0.21, 0.22