Sipgate, PAP2 and answer machine

Old November 11th 07, 04:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Nitefoll

Default Sipgate, PAP2 and answer machine

Hi All

Just discovered that when my answer machine picks up a Sipgate call it
isn't registered by my PAP2 adapter therefore I don't hear the answer
machine "Leave a message" ...err message.

Is there any way to fix this?

Any info would be much appreciated.

Nitefoll

Spec:
BT Voyager Quartet 1500 Phone
Linksys PAP2 - Firmware Version: 3.1.22(LS)
VirginMedia 2Mb broadband.
Old November 11th 07, 06:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Jono

Nitefoll pretended :
Hi All

Just discovered that when my answer machine picks up a Sipgate call it
isn't registered by my PAP2 adapter therefore I don't hear the answer
machine "Leave a message" ...err message.

Bit more detail. Is your answerphone plugged into your PAP2? and your
phone plugged into your answerphone?

Is there any way to fix this?

Probably

Any info would be much appreciated.

Old November 11th 07, 08:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Nitefoll

On Sun, 11 Nov 2007 17:35:56 GMT, Jono wrote:

Nitefoll pretended :
Hi All

Just discovered that when my answer machine picks up a Sipgate call it
isn't registered by my PAP2 adapter therefore I don't hear the answer
machine "Leave a message" ...err message.

Bit more detail. Is your answerphone plugged into your PAP2? and your
phone plugged into your answerphone?

Apologies, my phone is an all in one phone and answer machine unit, it's
plugged into my PAP2. I can make and receive calls no problem, but when
the answer machine picks up it doesn't register with the PAP2.

Is there any way to fix this?

Probably

How would I fix this then?

Any info would be much appreciated.

Old November 11th 07, 09:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Woody

"Nitefoll" wrote in message
Hi All

Just discovered that when my answer machine picks up a Sipgate call it
isn't registered by my PAP2 adapter therefore I don't hear the answer
machine "Leave a message" ...err message.

Is there any way to fix this?

Any info would be much appreciated.

Nitefoll

Spec:
BT Voyager Quartet 1500 Phone
Linksys PAP2 - Firmware Version: 3.1.22(LS)
VirginMedia 2Mb broadband.

Taking a guess, when the TAM answers, as no-one is home, it only loops
the line. When you pick the phone up you short the bell/ringing line and
it may be that is what the ATA detects.

Old November 12th 07, 12:09 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
steveybar

Apologies, my phone is an all in one phone and answer machine unit, it's
plugged into my PAP2. I can make and receive calls no problem, but when
the answer machine picks up it doesn't register with the PAP2.

What do you mean by: 'but when the answer machine picks up it doesn't
register with the PAP2'

Can you explain a little more....

Old November 12th 07, 12:40 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Nitefoll

On Sun, 11 Nov 2007 23:09:10 -0000, "steveybar"
wrote:

Apologies, my phone is an all in one phone and answer machine unit, it's
plugged into my PAP2. I can make and receive calls no problem, but when
the answer machine picks up it doesn't register with the PAP2.

What do you mean by: 'but when the answer machine picks up it doesn't
register with the PAP2'

Can you explain a little more....

If I don't use sipgate or PAP2 and plug my phone with built in answer
machine into a regular phone system i.e. virgin, then after 6 rings without
answering the answer machine kicks in giving the standard "sorry unable to
take your call please leave a message" and allows someone to leave a
message.

When I use the sipgate and PAP2 the phone rings and the answer machine
kicks in after 6 rings but the "sorry unable to blah blah" message is not
heard and the call times out.

It's almost like the PAP2 doesn't know that the answer machine has picked
up the call?

Can I fix this?

Old November 12th 07, 01:52 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Graham.

wrote:

[...]

If you answer the call by picking up the handset, can you
conduct a two-way conversation?
--
Graham

%Profound_observation%

Old November 12th 07, 01:55 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
steveybar

If I don't use sipgate or PAP2 and plug my phone with built in answer
machine into a regular phone system i.e. virgin, then after 6 rings
without
answering the answer machine kicks in giving the standard "sorry unable to
take your call please leave a message" and allows someone to leave a
message.

When I use the sipgate and PAP2 the phone rings and the answer machine
kicks in after 6 rings but the "sorry unable to blah blah" message is not
heard and the call times out.

It's almost like the PAP2 doesn't know that the answer machine has picked
up the call?

Can I fix this?

It looks as though the PAP2 is timing out at less than the 6 rings needed to
'trip' the answering machine

Don't have your answering machine switched on, and arrange for an incoming
call to come in but don't answer it. How many rings does it call before it
stops/times out?

Old November 12th 07, 07:50 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Nitefoll

On Mon, 12 Nov 2007 00:52:07 -0000, "Graham." wrote:

.. .
wrote:

[...]

Yes that works fine
Old November 12th 07, 08:00 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Nitefoll

On Mon, 12 Nov 2007 00:55:47 -0000, "steveybar"
wrote:

[...]

I had a similar thought and I've tried that.

The PAP2 is configured to ring for 60 seconds before stopping/timing out.

6 rings is roughly 15-20 seconds, so the answer machine would kick in long
before the call stops/times out.