3G, VoIP blocked on HSDPA

Old November 15th 07, 03:26 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Big Bird

Default 3G, VoIP blocked on HSDPA

If my mobile phone provider is blocking SIP/VoIP over HSDPA is there
much that I can do? My mobile is an N95.
Old November 15th 07, 03:36 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Tim

Big Bird wrote:
If my mobile phone provider is blocking SIP/VoIP over HSDPA is there
much that I can do? My mobile is an N95.

You can put SIP down a different port number.

Tim
Old November 15th 07, 03:47 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
alexd

Big Bird wrote:

If my mobile phone provider is blocking SIP/VoIP over HSDPA is there
much that I can do? My mobile is an N95.

You may be able to encrypt and tunnel over, eg, port 443 [HTTPS] if you can
get the right software at each end.

http://s2putty.sourceforge.net/

However I'm not sure what happens when you tunnel SIP calls [UDP] over SSH
[TCP]. Something? Nothing? Everything? Perhaps if you were able to use IAX2
your provider might not recognise it as VoIP?

--
http://ale.cx/ (AIM:troffasky) )
14:38:51 up 4 days, 3:16, 2 users, load average: 0.17, 0.24, 0.25

Old November 15th 07, 04:22 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Gordon Henderson

In article , alexd wrote:
Big Bird wrote:

If my mobile phone provider is blocking SIP/VoIP over HSDPA is there
much that I can do? My mobile is an N95.

You may be able to encrypt and tunnel over, eg, port 443 [HTTPS] if you can
get the right software at each end.

http://s2putty.sourceforge.net/

However I'm not sure what happens when you tunnel SIP calls [UDP] over SSH
[TCP]. Something? Nothing? Everything? Perhaps if you were able to use IAX2
your provider might not recognise it as VoIP?

You can use a differnt port with the E90, I'd guess the N95 might be
similar, but then you need a remote server which will accept SIP data on
something other than the standard port (5060).

And you can't port-forward under putty under symbian either, so
tunnelling data that way isn't gonig to work.

I've not been able to make my E90 make a VoIP call via anything other
than Wi-Fi though - maybe there's a setting I've not found yet though!

And I'd like to think there might one-day be an IAX client for symbian,
but I'm not holding my breath!!!

Gordon
Old November 15th 07, 04:42 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Big Bird

* Tim wrote:
Big Bird wrote:
If my mobile phone provider is blocking SIP/VoIP over HSDPA is there
much that I can do? My mobile is an N95.

You can put SIP down a different port number.

Only if Sipgate (or other VoIP provider) ran their servers on the same
different port. And those that do run on the non-Well-known-port
numbers probably get blocked all the same, it just takes longer for the
networks to realise.
Old November 15th 07, 04:48 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Big Bird

* alexd wrote:
However I'm not sure what happens when you tunnel SIP calls [UDP] over SSH
[TCP].

Supposedly a very bad thing to tunnel UDP via TCP. But I had found
UDPTunnel:

http://www1.cs.columbia.edu/~lennox/udptunnel/

Something? Nothing? Everything? Perhaps if you were able to use IAX2
your provider might not recognise it as VoIP?

I have access to a box on the net that could act as the end point for a
TCP tunnel to forward UDP traffic. You might even be able to do it using
OpenVPN?! But the main impetus is getting something to work that doesn't
involve to much funky shizzle on my phone and enables me to use the
nicely integrated VoIP/SIP stack built into the phone.

There is one other option. I hear if I upgrade my HSDPA to the Max
packaged then the VoIP restrictions are removed. Aren't mobile telcos
nice people?
Old November 15th 07, 06:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
alexd

Big Bird wrote:

* alexd wrote:
However I'm not sure what happens when you tunnel SIP calls [UDP] over
SSH
[TCP].

Supposedly a very bad thing to tunnel UDP via TCP. But I had found
UDPTunnel:

http://www1.cs.columbia.edu/~lennox/udptunnel/

Something? Nothing? Everything? Perhaps if you were able to use IAX2
your provider might not recognise it as VoIP?

I have access to a box on the net that could act as the end point for a
TCP tunnel to forward UDP traffic. You might even be able to do it using
OpenVPN?!

I did search for an OpenVPN client, but it looks like there's none for S60
as yet.

But the main impetus is getting something to work that doesn't
involve to much funky shizzle on my phone and enables me to use the
nicely integrated VoIP/SIP stack built into the phone.

You can be sure that the stuff that doesn't involve faffing about will be
the first to be blocked or impeded in some way ["160-byte UDP packets on
high ports seem get lost and delayed at random? We've got no idea what
you're talking about, sir"].

You seem to have mis-spelt "a bunch of ****s".

--
http://ale.cx/ (AIM:troffasky) )
17:40:07 up 4 days, 6:18, 1 user, load average: 0.14, 0.24, 0.22

Old November 15th 07, 07:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
alexd

Gordon Henderson wrote:

You can use a differnt port with the E90, I'd guess the N95 might be
similar, but then you need a remote server which will accept SIP data on
something other than the standard port (5060).

And you can't port-forward under putty under symbian either, so
tunnelling data that way isn't gonig to work.

I've not been able to make my E90 make a VoIP call via anything other
than Wi-Fi though - maybe there's a setting I've not found yet though!

And I'd like to think there might one-day be an IAX client for symbian,
but I'm not holding my breath!!!

There's one for Windows Mobile, so it's not that unlikely. I would have
thought that Digium would have an interest in writing one, as it would be a
pretty good USP for Asterisk - I am aware of no other PBX has a Symbian
softphone [other than SIP]. They could even integrate an OpenVPN client
into it! Of course all this will be academic when the gPhone hits the
market.

--
http://ale.cx/ (AIM:troffasky) )
17:47:30 up 4 days, 6:25, 1 user, load average: 0.53, 0.37, 0.27

Old November 16th 07, 11:01 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Gordon Henderson

In article , alexd wrote:
Gordon Henderson wrote:

[...]

I did email the people behind IDEFISK (Now Zoiper) one upon a time and
they didn't flatly say no, but I suspect it would take a lot of serious
interest to get them to do it... But rather than the gPhone, have you
seen the OpenMoko project? http://www.openmoko.org/ that looks very
promising... I do like and use most of the features on my E90 though.
(Anyone know anyone in the South West who can print 2D barcodes on vinyl
labels???)

Gordon
Old November 16th 07, 01:51 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
alexd

Gordon Henderson wrote:

I did email the people behind IDEFISK (Now Zoiper) one upon a time and
they didn't flatly say no, but I suspect it would take a lot of serious
interest to get them to do it... But rather than the gPhone, have you
seen the OpenMoko project? http://www.openmoko.org/ that looks very
promising...

I have looked at that, but I suspect that gPhones will be cheaper, more
numerous and more widely supported than OpenMoko phones, leading to a more
enjoyable hacking experience. I'm currently using a Nokia 6310i - it's
pretty much the pinnacle of mobile phone evolution, IMHO. Everything else
since has been a waste of weight, time or battery life.

--
http://ale.cx/ (AIM:troffasky) )
12:45:44 up 5 days, 1:23, 2 users, load average: 0.14, 0.06, 0.07