How much bandwidth does it use to keep Skype running?

Old November 22nd 07, 08:26 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Chris

Default How much bandwidth does it use to keep Skype running?

How much bandwidth does it use to keep Skype running?

I am now on a limited account - and want to know whether it would be a
problem.
--
Chris
Old November 22nd 07, 10:29 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Brian A

On Thu, 22 Nov 2007 20:26:12 +0000, Chris ] wrote:

How much bandwidth does it use to keep Skype running?

I am now on a limited account - and want to know whether it would be a
problem.

I have a relation in New Zealand who stopped using Skype because he
had a limited download and found that Skype was using up a lot of his
allowance.
You will find differing opinions re Skype. It is a peer to peer system
- quite unlike SIP voip. Hence a straight answer to your question
isn't so easily possible. Skype, I understand, have increased the
resolution of the video with the latest version of their software.
That could make it even more bandwidth hungry or it could be simply an
improvement in efficiency, I don't know This is a link to a study on
Skype. If you do a search in it you'll find this paragraph.

"A super node is an ordinary hostís end-point on the
Skype network. Any node with a public IP address having
sufficient CPU, memory, and network bandwidth is a candidate to
become a super node."

http://www1.cs.columbia.edu/~library...ucs-039-04.pdf

---
Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.
---
Old November 23rd 07, 07:38 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Sinna

Chris wrote:
How much bandwidth does it use to keep Skype running?

I am now on a limited account - and want to know whether it would be a
problem.

I really don't know as I don't want to use Skype at all.
When you read their license agreement you confirm they are allowed to
use your (expensive) bandwidth to route others messages. You can't
control this at all.

Why don't you take a look at other VoIP-solutions using open protocols
(like SIP) performing exactly the same at even a lower cost when dialing
to fixed line. Plenty of information about bandwidth consumption is
available for the different codecs applied.

A suggestion: http://www.voipbuster.com and if you want all its brothers
and sisters, you can compare rates at http://www.backsla.sh/betamax.

Sinna
Old November 23rd 07, 08:22 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Heimo Hetl

Chris ] wrote:

How much bandwidth does it use to keep Skype running?

Nobody really knows but Skype itself. It depends a lot on wether or not
your computer becomes what they call a supernode - a hub in the network
which relays other parties' calls, instant messages and signaling. If
you make sure your computer cannot be reached from the outside on any
port, if you block all outgoing ports except https, and if you proxy
http and ftp, then you most likely render your computer useless for the
skype network and make it dependent on a third party supernode itself.

cheers
Heimo

--
You never ask questions when God's on your side.
Old November 23rd 07, 09:37 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip

Sinna wrote:
Chris wrote:
How much bandwidth does it use to keep Skype running?

I am now on a limited account - and want to know whether it would be a
problem.

I really don't know as I don't want to use Skype at all.
When you read their license agreement you confirm they are allowed to
use your (expensive) bandwidth to route others messages. You can't
control this at all.

You can if you tell Skype not to start up when you start your system
up (which it does by default). I wonder how many people don't
realise this when they install Skype and thus have Skype running all
the time that their computer is turned on.

Why don't you take a look at other VoIP-solutions using open protocols
(like SIP) performing exactly the same at even a lower cost when dialing
to fixed line. Plenty of information about bandwidth consumption is
available for the different codecs applied.

A suggestion: http://www.voipbuster.com and if you want all its brothers
and sisters, you can compare rates at http://www.backsla.sh/betamax.

Sinna

--
Chris Green
Old November 23rd 07, 09:41 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip

Heimo Hetl wrote:
Chris ] wrote:

How much bandwidth does it use to keep Skype running?

Nobody really knows but Skype itself. It depends a lot on wether or not
your computer becomes what they call a supernode - a hub in the network
which relays other parties' calls, instant messages and signaling. If
you make sure your computer cannot be reached from the outside on any
port, if you block all outgoing ports except https, and if you proxy
http and ftp, then you most likely render your computer useless for the
skype network and make it dependent on a third party supernode itself.

.... but that would also make it impossible to make (or receive) Skype
calls wouldn't it?

Much easier simply to configure Skype not to run at startup and thus
to only have it running when you need it. There's a little check box
in the Skype configuration which does this. By default Skype as
installed will run at system startup.

--
Chris Green
Old November 23rd 07, 09:55 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Heimo Hetl

wrote:

[...] block all outgoing ports except https, and if you proxy
http and ftp,

... but that would also make it impossible to make (or receive) Skype
calls wouldn't it?

No, Skype will still sneak out 443 (aka. https) and contact some
supernode somewhere. Try googling for "howto block skype" to find out
that it cannot, effectively, be blocked. At least not that easily.

Much easier simply to configure Skype not to run at startup and thus
to only have it running when you need it.

This will work, of course. Except that you obviously can't be skyped
when skype isn't running.

cheers
Heimo

--
You never ask questions when God's on your side.