looking for a wifi sip voip phone recommendation please

Old November 23rd 07, 07:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
hammond

Default looking for a wifi sip voip phone recommendation please

Hello
I'm looking for a wifi sip voip phone recommendation please

Stephen

Old November 23rd 07, 09:07 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Nick

"hammond" wrote in message

Hello
I'm looking for a wifi sip voip phone recommendation please

Stephen

Yes, don't bother.

Old November 23rd 07, 10:41 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Tim

Stephen Hammond wrote:
Hello
I'm looking for a wifi sip voip phone recommendation please

Stephen

Yes, don't bother.

why ?

There aren't any really good ones. There is kinda of ok, but none shine.

Poor battery life, poor wifi access point compatibility, poor SIP stacks.

A Nokia E series phone is probably the best.

If you just want a phone to use at home then buy a Siemens SIP dect phone.

Tim
Old November 23rd 07, 11:51 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Stephen Hammond

Hello
I'm looking for a wifi sip voip phone recommendation please

Stephen

Yes, don't bother.

why ?

There aren't any really good ones. There is kinda of ok, but none shine.

Poor battery life, poor wifi access point compatibility, poor SIP stacks.

A Nokia E series phone is probably the best.

If you just want a phone to use at home then buy a Siemens SIP dect phone.

Tim

Are the Skype (excuse my French ) ones any better ?

Old November 24th 07, 10:41 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Spex

On 23 Nov, 19:06, hammond wrote:

Hello
I'm looking for a wifi sip voip phone recommendation please

Stephen

We have a couple of T-Mobile TC300 at home which work quite well apart
from battery use is quite high. The TC300 is a GSM/wifi phone - so
it's used as a mobile when out of the house and is a wifi extension of
an Asterisk box at home.

TC300 is available in Spain (my first one was thrown in on a broadband
deal and the second was about 30 euros secondhand on ebay). It's also
sold in Germany. Rebadged, it's an Arcor Twintel in Germany or a
Pirelli DP-L10 in the UK (retails around 150 squid).

Spex
Old November 24th 07, 11:45 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Gordon Henderson

In article ,
Tim wrote:
Stephen Hammond wrote:
Hello
I'm looking for a wifi sip voip phone recommendation please

Stephen

Yes, don't bother.

why ?

There aren't any really good ones. There is kinda of ok, but none shine.

Poor battery life, poor wifi access point compatibility, poor SIP stacks.

A Nokia E series phone is probably the best.

If you just want a phone to use at home then buy a Siemens SIP dect phone.

I'd second this. I have a UTS F1000G Wi-Fi phone, but it's tempramental
and would never try to sell a custom one (it fails the "wife test") It's
battery life is surprisingly good though.

I also have a Nokia E90 and this is better than the F1000G, but it won't
automatically re-connect when it comes back in-range on the home Wi-Fi
signal - I have to push a button or 2...

But if all you want is a phone to walk round the home/office with the
the Siemens DECT ones are very good indeed.

What I'd love to see is a mobile phone with a GAP compliant DECT client
built-in.

Gordon
Old November 24th 07, 12:51 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
alexd

Stephen Hammond wrote:

Hello
I'm looking for a wifi sip voip phone recommendation please

Yes, don't bother.
why ?

There aren't any really good ones. There is kinda of ok, but none shine.

Poor battery life, poor wifi access point compatibility, poor SIP stacks.

Are the Skype (excuse my French ) ones any better ?

No - it's not the SIP stack that consumes battery or causes incompatibility
with various access points. And Skype will use more bandwidth than SIP.

--
http://ale.cx/ (AIM:troffasky) )
11:50:13 up 13 days, 28 min, 2 users, load average: 0.12, 0.09, 0.11

Old November 26th 07, 12:39 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip

On Nov 23, 9:41 pm, Tim wrote:

A Nokia E series phone is probably the best.

I use a E61 for VoIP all the time, probably 3 hours a day during the
week. It is the best WiFi VoIP solution I have found so far after
trying the truely dire UTS F1000 and a crappy T-Com GSM/WiFI phone I
got on evaluation. The E61 auto logs on at work, home and the pub and
when calling via VoIP it sends my mobile number as CLID. It is not
perfect however the main gripes a-

1. Can't alter the SIP registration time (set to 1 hour, so system
still thinks you are around for up to 60 mins if you lose WiFi).
2, Cant set codec preferance.
3. Doesn't light MWI on NOTIFY.

Regards

Jon
Old November 26th 07, 12:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Tim

Gordon Henderson wrote:

I'd second this. I have a UTS F1000G Wi-Fi phone, but it's tempramental
and would never try to sell a custom one (it fails the "wife test") It's
battery life is surprisingly good though.

I do have a lot of F1000Gs to get rid of.

Tim