CKTS - How to direct IP dial the network

Old November 23rd 07, 11:11 PM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.voip
News Reader

Default CKTS - How to direct IP dial the network

Hi,

Not sure if any of you have looked at or had any experience, etc. of the
CNET ("The Collectors Net") (a network of users who have VoIP interconnected
old telecomms equipment - old switches, etc.).

It is rather fun and cool (lol), etc.

However, I have only been able to access it via PSTN dial in gateways...
which is a bit pointless and rather defeats the purpose and makes things
unnecessarily long winded; particularly since the whole network is VoIP and
about IP connectivity!

Hence, I am hoping some one might be able to advise or help find the SIP
dialling string format for connecting to network nodes / devices.

I have tried a number of combinations such as ;
; etc., etc. to no avail.

Please please... any help appreciated.

Best wishes,

News Reader

P.s. Copied to uk.telecom as this relates largely as much to classic telecom
equipment as VoIP. Thanks .

Old November 23rd 07, 11:15 PM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.voip
News Reader

"News Reader" wrote in message

Hi,

SNIP

News Reader

P.s. Copied to uk.telecom as this relates largely as much to classic
telecom equipment as VoIP. Thanks .

Oh and by the way... the website for reference... is: www.ckts.info

Thanks again and in advance.

Old November 23rd 07, 11:57 PM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.voip
Ivor Jones

"News Reader" wrote in message

: : Hi,
: :
: :
[...]

CNET is effectively a closed network. You have to either be a full part of
it by hosting your own Asterisk box, or if you know someone on it you can
set up an ATA as a host off their system.

Be aware that the primary purpose of CNET is to link together heritage
telephone equipment such as old Strowger exchanges, rather than as an
alternative to commercial VoIP providers.

www.ckts.info gives all the info you need.

Ivor

Old November 24th 07, 12:19 AM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.voip
News Reader

"Ivor Jones" wrote in message

[...]

Thanks Ivor. I appreciate the purpose and somewhat the nature of CNET.
Particularly, I recognise that is certainly not an alternative to an ITSP
and represents an enthusiasts network of vintage telcoms equipment
collectors and their equipment.

However, as a lay but interested person, I was hoping to dial around some of
the equipment (more so than the manned extensions), as an enthusiast of old
telecoms kit, etc.

It sounds like their is no direct or central SIP server for dialling of
"member directory" entries (offices and extensions, etc.). And inferring
from what you are saying, one has to either become a member, or garner a
registration account off a members gateway.

Interesting... it seems strange they do not support direct inbound directory
access SIP dialling given that they publicly promote themselves, maintain a
directory, are so outwardly friendly, encouraging and supportive of all
interest and participation. I.e. they frequently encourage ( on their
website ) people to call members and the various bits of equipment, etc.
Furthermore, given they openly provide and list PEST gateways... they
clearly don't mind, rather actively encourage, people to call into, across
and on the CNET.... hence my confusion as to why I can't seem to find or am
potentially perplexed as to why they might or would not permit SIP inbound
access (as the whole point of the exercise is VoIP and internet
interconnection - i.e. avoiding the need for PSTN use and potential cost
thereat, etc.)... I.e. if they encourage use generally and provide PSTN
gateways... then why not VoIP inbound dialling?

Anyhoo... shall keep investigating... and best wishes and many thanks for
your input.

Best wishes,

News Reader

Old November 24th 07, 01:35 AM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.voip
Ivor Jones

"News Reader" wrote in message

[snip]

: : Hi,
: :
: :
: : Thanks Ivor. I appreciate the purpose and somewhat the
: : nature of CNET. Particularly, I recognise that is
: : certainly not an alternative to an ITSP and represents
: : an enthusiasts network of vintage telcoms equipment
: : collectors and their equipment.
: :
: : However, as a lay but interested person, I was hoping
: : to dial around some of the equipment (more so than the
: : manned extensions), as an enthusiast of old telecoms
: : kit, etc.

Then you're a prime candidate for membership..!

: : It sounds like their is no direct or central SIP server
: : for dialling of "member directory" entries (offices and
: : extensions, etc.). And inferring from what you are
: : saying, one has to either become a member, or garner a
: : registration account off a members gateway.

You could, if you have a Sipgate account, dial in through at least two of
the gateway numbers. 01352 838111 and 023 9298 8085 are both Sipgate
numbers. This would be a free call.

However, if you're really interested, an Asterisk box isn't that hard to
set up, plenty of people will be only too glad to help you out.

Ivor

Old November 24th 07, 11:15 AM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.voip
Brian A

On Sat, 24 Nov 2007 00:19:30 GMT, "News Reader"
wrote:

"Ivor Jones" wrote in message

[...]

Perhaps you could persuade them to have Sipbroker access. That way
you'd be able to dial in from most SIP networks.
Sipbroker access codes:-

http://tinyurl.com/379b43
---
Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.
---
Old November 24th 07, 05:09 PM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.voip
Ivor Jones

"Brian A" wrote in message

[snip]

: : Perhaps you could persuade them to have Sipbroker
: : access. That way you'd be able to dial in from most SIP
: : networks.
: : Sipbroker access codes:-
: :
: : http://tinyurl.com/379b43

Hmm, possible, but as I said that isn't the function of CNET. It's
designed for those with an interest in old telephones and equipment to
connect their systems together, not as an alternative to a commercial
provider.

Anyone is free to apply to connect to CNET, www.ckts.info gives all the
info needed.

Ivor