BBC: UK net numbering project starts

Old November 26th 07, 12:00 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Brian A

Default BBC: UK net numbering project starts

---
Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.
---
Old November 28th 07, 11:44 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Graham Murray

Brian A writes:

Why do we need yet another separate ENUM system? There are already ENUM
projects such as e164.org. The way things are going someone using a
VOIP/PSTN switch is going to have to perform lookups on several ENUM
servers to determine if a particular call to a PSTN number can be sent
(more cheaply) via VOIP instead. Would it not be better to get global
cooperation and have just one domain which can be interrogated to map a
E.164 PSTN number to a VOIP address in the same way as the domain
in-addr.arpa translates from IP address to host name?
Old November 28th 07, 11:56 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Paul Hayes

Graham Murray wrote:
Brian A writes:

Why do we need yet another separate ENUM system? There are already ENUM
projects such as e164.org. The way things are going someone using a
VOIP/PSTN switch is going to have to perform lookups on several ENUM
servers to determine if a particular call to a PSTN number can be sent
(more cheaply) via VOIP instead. Would it not be better to get global
cooperation and have just one domain which can be interrogated to map a
E.164 PSTN number to a VOIP address in the same way as the domain
in-addr.arpa translates from IP address to host name?

This is the global "e164.arpa" zone. e164.org is an alternative service
which has been popular because it's was setup independently while the
arpa zone has been delayed.

cheers,
Paul.
--
Working Email:

paul-at-polog40-dot-co-dot-uk
Old November 29th 07, 04:50 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Yaz

Sorry to go off track but anyone know what the numbering criteria / options
will be. I'd love to be able t ochoose a number that I like.....within
reason/parameters.

Yaz

Old November 29th 07, 05:11 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Paul Cupis

On 2007-11-29, Yaz wrote:
Sorry to go off track but anyone know what the numbering criteria / options
will be. I'd love to be able t ochoose a number that I like.....within
reason/parameters.

I think you've missed the point. It is a way of representing numbers in
DNS for IP routing - you cannot just pick a number you like any more
than you can right now (without ENUM) - number blocks are allocated by
Ofcom to telecoms operators (PECNs or PECSs) whom you can get a number
from subject to whatever services they are offering.

Old November 29th 07, 05:13 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Andy Burns

On 29/11/2007 16:50, Yaz wrote:

Sorry to go off track but anyone know what the numbering criteria / options
will be. I'd love to be able t ochoose a number that I like.....within
reason/parameters.

ENUM is effentially a way to add your *existing* phone number to DNS.
Old November 29th 07, 05:15 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
cybuerke

"Yaz" wrote in message
Sorry to go off track but anyone know what the numbering criteria /
options will be. I'd love to be able t ochoose a number that I
like.....within reason/parameters.

Yaz

This is the proposed UK Enum lookup project. There will be no options for
you. All it does is translate your landline phone number to a sip address.

See www.e164.org for example.

Old December 4th 07, 11:06 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Brian A

On Thu, 29 Nov 2007 16:50:53 GMT, "Yaz"
wrote:

Sorry to go off track but anyone know what the numbering criteria / options
will be. I'd love to be able t ochoose a number that I like.....within
reason/parameters.

Yaz

Memorable numbers can have some disadvantages. When I first joined
Voxalot I picked my own 6 digit, (I chose all digits the same),
Voxalot number, afaik you can still do that. Then I got no end of
idiots who called my number to test their phones. Even when I set up
my voicemail, to ward off people leaving silly messages, they took no
notice. The number became unusable and I had to ask Voxalot to cancel
it. Now I purposely choose numbers that are not so easy to dial and I
have no problems.

---