How to Get "Actual" PSTN Dial Tone on SPA3102?

Old December 1st 07, 10:02 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Mike Sun

Default How to Get "Actual" PSTN Dial Tone on SPA3102?

At present, I have this element of the dial plan to reach the PSTN line on a
Linksys SPA 3102

|9,:x.:@gw0|

Dialling 9 gives the PSTN dial tone but it is a simulated one generated by
the ATA.

I was wondering how to obtain the actual BT dial tone rather than the
simulated one.

I've seen posts on the subject saying it can be done but without any detail
as to what parameter or component of the dial plan is needed.

Incidentally, the simulated dial tone times out after 3 seconds as defined
by the "Interdigit Short Timer" parameter but I don't want to extend this as
it would delay sending of a dialled number.

Any comment would be much appreciated - Cheers from Mike.

Old December 1st 07, 10:14 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Jono

Mike Sun pretended :
At present, I have this element of the dial plan to reach the PSTN line on a
Linksys SPA 3102

|9,:x.:@gw0|

Dialling 9 gives the PSTN dial tone but it is a simulated one generated by
the ATA.

I was wondering how to obtain the actual BT dial tone rather than the
simulated one.

Turn the power off.

I've seen posts on the subject saying it can be done but without any detail
as to what parameter or component of the dial plan is needed.

I'm not sure it's possible.

Whilst the power is on, the Line 1 port & PSTN ports are distinctly
separate. Only when the power is off & the internal relay trips is the
phone connected to line 1 physically connected to the PSTN.

Old December 1st 07, 10:47 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Andy Burns

On 01/12/2007 10:14, Jono wrote:

I was wondering how to obtain the actual BT dial tone rather than the
simulated one.

Turn the power off.

That's true, you can tweak the tone generation to get one that *sounds*
exactly like the BT dialtone if that helps.
Old December 1st 07, 10:52 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Jono

Andy Burns wrote :
On 01/12/2007 10:14, Jono wrote:

I was wondering how to obtain the actual BT dial tone rather than the
simulated one.

Turn the power off.

That's true, you can tweak the tone generation to get one that *sounds*
exactly like the BT dialtone if that helps.

Although I like the fact that I can tell exactly which "line" I'm
dialling over from the sound of the dial tone.

Old December 1st 07, 11:06 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Mike Sun

Turning the power off certainly does the job but that's not so useful in all
other respects I guess.

I have no problem getting the dial tone simulation to be like the real BT
tone but my preference would be to be able to monitor what's going on with
the "actual" line - say line is out of order or a BT message is missed (such
as "please try again") or the BT howler tone if line is left off hook for
too long, etc.

As you say, it may not be possible as there are 2 separate circuits involved
but I thought I saw somewhere that it could be done...

Cheers from Mike

Old December 1st 07, 12:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Christian Leibbrandt

That's true, you can tweak the tone generation to get one that
*sounds* exactly like the BT dialtone if that helps.

Absolutely! You can find all that under the regional settings tab. A useful
website to find the right settings:
http://www.3amsystems.com/wireline/tone-search.htm

You can choose any country you like :-) At the bottom there is a conversion
tool that translates all information into Sipura-settings:
http://www.3amsystems.com/wireline/t...&format=Sipura

Hope this helps,
Christian

Old December 4th 07, 10:17 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Paul Hayes

Jono wrote:
Mike Sun pretended :
[...]

It is possible. It's a good while since I did it but I believe the dial
plan is something like:

9:S0:@gw0

Then on the PSTN Line page you need to change the default dial plan for
the VoIP-PSTN Gateway to "none". The setting is called "Line 1 VoIP
Caller DP" if I remember correctly.

I originally worked this out for a customer who was connecting SPA3000s
to PBXs and wrote this document which might help you even mo

http://www.provu.co.uk/pdf/sipura/pb...sion_setup.pdf

cheers,
Paul.

--
Working Email:

paul-at-polog40-dot-co-dot-uk
Old December 4th 07, 02:53 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Mike Sun

"Paul Hayes" wrote in message

It is possible. It's a good while since I did it but I believe the dial
plan is something like:

9:S0:@gw0

Then on the PSTN Line page you need to change the default dial plan for
the VoIP-PSTN Gateway to "none". The setting is called "Line 1 VoIP
Caller DP" if I remember correctly.

Paul - your advice worked perfectly - many thanks for that. The only
drawbacks I notice with this setup is that:-

1. A pause would now be needed between the 9 and the phone number if one
wants to dial out via PSTN from line 1.

2. PSTN line may not clear down upon hang-up of line 1 - the remote caller
would need to hang up (but this may be correct behaviour anyway for an
incoming call).

Anyway, it's nice to know that one has the option to configure this way or
the standard way.

Cheers from Mike

Old December 4th 07, 07:15 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Jono

Paul Hayes wrote :
Jono wrote:
Mike Sun pretended :
[...]